The Chainlink

Late at night as I was crossing on the north side of the Lake street bridge, two young punks, one with a gun, tried to pull me off of my bicycle.

I was aware of something amiss before they approached and managed to quickly turn around and head the other way to call the police.

Views: 2687

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

We can? Why not just tell us what your guess is. I guess you mean 'non-white' but in Chicago can just as easily mean either mestizo or African-American. I don't think code language of this kind has a good place in discussion here. Such code language often shows up in the form of phrases like, "a certain demographic" or, in this case, "we can all guess what they look like." Yes, we can all guess, but only the almost-victim knows and it almost inevitably carries the suggestion along the lines of "all those people (fill in minority group implicated) are suspicious." There are certain situations where descriptions such as those that Lisa Curcio gives are necessary - e.g. you were assaulted and are giving a report to the police - but in simply relating something to a group it may be harmless in itself ("I was attacked by a 4'11" Samoan-looking dude with a prosthesis") but it's hard to argue that it's necessary unless there is a one-armed-short-Samoan gang out there on the rampage.

You're on much better ground in your second graf. I think you're wrong in the first graf - I don't think it does serve people well in most situations to be suspicious of everyone. Rather, it is more effective to be suspicious of those (even when they're white!) who display behaviors that show a high likelihood of their posing a risk to you. This can be illustrated in another context in the difference between US airport security (patting down toddlers, confiscating water bottles, etc.) and Israeli airport security (much more emphasis on intelligence, and passenger profiling for risk factors.) This is how the OP evaluated the situation he came across on the bridge, and I suspect he did not describe the peoples' apparent race or ethnic background because it was not relevant.

yai danche said:

I completely agree.  I understand OP's wariness.  You should be suspicious of everyone which I believe is his point in posting his story.  What comes to mind are those two teenage girls (14 and 15) who kidnapped that elderly woman and locked her in the trunk of her car for 2 days.  You can't trust anyone!  But yeah let's face it, even if he doesn't give out a description, just like the news coverage of the flash mobs doesn't give out a description, we can all guess what they look like.  

Everyone should be wary of people who are just a little too interested in watching you ride by.  Every time I've rode past pedestrians on the lakefront trail, they give you a fleeting glance and register that you are there and that's it.  People don't usually stop and stare, they are walking to enjoy the scenery. So OP's observation that they looked like they were lying in wait made sense and his prediction came true.  Very glad he is okay and it's unfortunate that the offenders were not caught.  

Bob Kastigar said:

Now we're even afraid of leaving a description, for fear of being called 'racist' and having 'stereotype.'

Socially, this is just as scarey. 

Juan 2-8 mi. said:

11:00pm abouts.

A description is not neccessary since it would come off as racist and stereotypical.

For the OP to assume that if he states that the assailants were black, and that everyone who reads it will suddenly avoid all black people, is ridiculous.

It happens.  A few years ago (quite a few now that I think about it) I was riding down to Hyde Park at night on the LFP.   A couple of people were walking near the path and suddenly one of them reached out and tried to shove me off the bicycle.  Luckily for me a bicycle going at 18 mph or so has a strong gyroscopic reaction.  i kept my balance, kept going forward and put on an extra burst of speed.    That being said pedestrians at night everywhere are viewed with some degree of concern as are unlit bicycles... particularly on the LFP or the North Branch trail.  

Fuegofan said:

Some years ago, a guy pushed me into the grass just north of the 4300 South pedestrian bridge on the Lakefront Path.  That evening (approx. 6:30 in summer--I still can't figure how it was desolate there at that hour) I was riding home on my speedy bike, which has the shoes that clip onto the pedals (and is the answer to your question, Douglas).  So when he tried to grab the bike and pull it away from between my legs, I was still attached to the bike.  When a jogger appeared, the mugger ran away over the bridge.

Douglas Iverson said:

I wonder if there is a safe and/or practicle way to secure one's self to one's bike? That shure would thwart a potential bikejacker. Let's face it, cops are basically worthless.

Most of these problems can be mitigated with increased police presence. The Chicago Police Department is woefully understaffed.

Yes, CPD is taking it very seriously.

Tricolor said:

On days when I don't ride I usually walk to the top of Michigan Avenue and have noticed a pair of officers hanging out every two blocks or so.  Maybe they're taking this flash-mob stuff seriously.

Were they eating doughnuts?
I gotta tend to disagree being wary with an observer paying close (more than casual) attention to someone else on a bike. What if the bike impressed you, like a '55' Chevy or the rider was "hot," or both. We all look at art forms whether anamite or inanamite.

i get the sense that i don't look very attractive while pedaling on a bike.  when i'm on foot, i admire how serene some people look on their bikes.  i probably don't look like that, because i can't say i feel very serene while pedaling in traffic.  

Douglas Iverson said:

I gotta tend to disagree being wary with an observer paying close (more than casual) attention to someone else on a bike. What if the bike impressed you, like a '55' Chevy or the rider was "hot," or both. We all look at art forms whether anamite or inanamite.

Sometimes before leaving work, I pop a piece of chocolate in my mouth to sweeten my disposition and give me some energy for the commute home.

yai danche said:

i get the sense that i don't look very attractive while pedaling on a bike.  when i'm on foot, i admire how serene some people look on their bikes.  i probably don't look like that, because i can't say i feel very serene while pedaling in traffic.  

Douglas Iverson said:

They always say on the news that these types of problems are caused by "urban youths".  Descriptions are important & necessary.  I've started to carry Bear spray that I ordered from Alaska to defend myself. This city is getting dangerous.

This is an example of how these trouble makers all seem to look alike somehow, with thier baggy pants and hoodies. It was dark, they looked like they were dressed all in black. They both were Black though. But still, I am always wary of anybody, especially two or more.

El Dorado said:

They always say on the news that these types of problems are caused by "urban youths".  Descriptions are important & necessary.  I've started to carry Bear spray that I ordered from Alaska to defend myself. This city is getting dangerous.

Spring is top bike theft season.  (in economic terms if you steal a bike now you get the most utility out of it before winter.)  A bus driver said 'now' is the time bikes get ripped off the front racks of the buses -so if your that type put on a lock. Now more than any other time of year lock up your ride.

Someone tried to do the knock-me-off-my-bike thing 8-9 years ago in philly and rather than trying to dodge I steered into him and totally decked the guy.  Your instinct is to dodge and turn away but really, once you get pushed down that is the end of since your ride will be gone before you get your wits about you.

But thanks for the alert, will watch for stairwells and the like, thanks, stay safe everyone - as if all the cars weren't bad enough.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service