The Chainlink

You blew the red light east bound on Lawrence at Damen at 5:26 pm this evening.

There was enough time for the biker in front of me to make it half way into the intersection, northbound on Damen, before you came whizzing past my front wheel.

I yelled "You're an idiot!" at your big haired chick, self, and you looked back at me. I meant it!

I woulda testified for any of the cars, that managed to not kill you, if they had.

Keep riding like a tard!

love,

gabe

Witness bad behavior during your commute? Feel free to post. Maybe that lovely human can read it and think they are famous. Maybe you can also inspire the whole generation of kids to shower but we can start with small things.

Views: 105309

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you for thinking of me Anika, I truly appreciate it. I actually already picked up my bike- my coworker helped me get to the fire dept and she carried my bike up into my apartment.

I have to say- between the people who stopped to help and the care and support and small delicious treats my coworkers supplied, even up to the doctor offering me can money if I couldn't find a car ride home. So basically one jackass shitty driver hurt my ankle, but more than 20 people took care of me, and honestly I pretty much had a good day, not the shitty one that would be expected. Except the ankle and inabity to ride tomorrow/for a while. that sucks.

On Tuesday evening about 625 as dusk approached I am walking west on Washington in the loop towards the Metra station. The light turns green and I proceed along with a few other peds.  You are a troika of darkly garbed riders on road bikes. In a few minutes you will be ninjas when the sun departs over the horizon. For now, you are merely miscreants who blast southbound on LaSalle. I feel your wind and watch as you dodge the eastbound vehicles legally driving on Washington as if you were downhill skiers gliding over moguels.  You race down the street. You have  already gone a couple blocks south before I leave the intersection on foot. You must have been doing your own criterium as I see you again coming eastbound on Washington at Franklin a few minutes later. The second time you have the right of way.  Based on the timing  involved I doubt you have touched your brakes since our last encounter. You all appear to be good bike handlers and your skill has led you to believe in your invulnerability. This is hubris my friends.

hubris:  exaggerated pride or confidence; extreme pride or arrogance.

Michael Perez said:

You made them sound so awesome.
David Barish said:

On Tuesday evening about 625 as dusk approached I am walking west on Washington in the loop towards the Metra station. The light turns green and I proceed along with a few other peds.  You are a troika of darkly garbed riders on road bikes. In a few minutes you will be ninjas when the sun departs over the horizon. For now, you are merely miscreants who blast southbound on LaSalle. I feel your wind and watch as you dodge the eastbound vehicles legally driving on Washington as if you were downhill skiers gliding over moguels.  You race down the street. You have  already gone a couple blocks south before I leave the intersection on foot. You must have been doing your own criterium as I see you again coming eastbound on Washington at Franklin a few minutes later. The second time you have the right of way.  Based on the timing  involved I doubt you have touched your brakes since our last encounter. You all appear to be good bike handlers and your skill has led you to believe in your invulnerability. This is hubris my friends.

Almost every morning as i commute through Evanston i (barely) see you all riding ninja-style WB along Central and Lincoln streets. i take it that you are Northwestern students on your way to morning practice at the Welsh-Ryan fieldhouse. i nearly hit one of you today as you crossed my path on Central. 

Please tell your A.D. and coaches that if they insist you come to pre-dawn drills, that they buy you some decent lights.

Thank you.

You are Segway tour guide leading a large group of out-of-towners who have never previously ridden a Segway down a narrow sidewalk in the museum campus at noon on a (sorta) holiday weekend. I'm a pedestrian walking on the right side of the sidewalk holding 2 children.

You said, "Excuses me, we're passing on your left"...and then right hooked the shit out of us, stopping your group across the entire sidewalk for a couple of minutes to point out some inconsequential piece of public art. Because, you know, god forbid you wait 5 seconds and then stop BEHIND us. Or maybe walk on a sideWALK instead or riding a motorized vehicle.

Shouldn't John Kass write an article about this nonsense? Seems a lot more out-of-line than bicycles riding on trails and in bike lanes.

I really wish I had my phone with me so I could have taken a picture. I had left it home when fussing to pack to ride in at 530 am (but that is a digression).  So, around 445 pm yesterday I am walking on State Steet between Washington and Madison. I see a guy on a bike on the sidewalk with a kid of perhaps 2-3 years old. The kid is basically sitting on the top tube with his legs draped over the handlebar. I walked up to look again as I thought he may have had a handlebar child seat. Alas, no such seat. The kid was held in mainly by leaning on dad.  Nobody was wearing a helmet. When traffic on the sidewalk became a little to busy for him he took the bike onto the street by going over the curb. I gasped when he did this. He later got back on the sidewalk when I caught up with him at the next intersection. It was tempting to engage but I held my tongue and merely prayed that they made it home in one piece.

You: young guy on red vintage road bike, eastbound on Monroe at State, wearing headphones and oblivious to surroundings.

Me: pedestrian trying to cross Monroe with the walk signal.

Thank you SOOO much for speeding through the crosswalk full of pedestrians, not even slowing down for the intersection or yielding to anyone who actually had the right of way.

To the guy on a motorcycle who tried to run me off the westbound Kinzie bridge - I know man, construction isn't my favorite either, and I certainly don't want to be riding on those grates in the rain. It's slippery as hell over there and I'm bummed that they blocked those non-slip plates with equipment and signs. I'm really surprised that you, on a motorcycle, freaked out about me taking the lane. You of all people should know how important that is to remaining visible and riding safely. Please don't try to run anyone else off the road today, it's terrible out as is.

Last week, I saw a woman who appeared to be teaching her 3-year-old grandchild how to ride a bike in the Dearborn lanes near Van Buren during rush hour. He was doing a great job for his age, but putting him in that situation and walking beside him in the oncoming lane probably wasn't the best idea.

Maurice, if he can learn to ride his bike on dearborn during rush hour than he can surely ride his bike anywhere.

I think you put yourself in a bad spot in thus situatuion. Throughout the video you are in or on the boarder of the Taxi drivers blind spot, and he probably didnt expect you to sqeeuze through with him while he was passing the bus.
Its awesome that you like to ride aggressively, but if you are going to do so you have to be very conscious of the vision of the drivers and any chance for them to be unpredictable. This is especially true for Taxis. I usually try to pass and get in front of the vehicle so that they can see me before they have a chance to manuver out of the lane. If I'm too gassed or it looks like a dangerous squeeze, then I back off.

Keep it up with the videos.

If he was edging right as he passed the bus there's a good chance he was looking to go right at the next opportunity even if he didn't bother to signal.  You could have slowed down or gone around his left side rather than try to pass on the right.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service