The Chainlink

9/20/12 Damen from Division to Jackson is "Rough Grooved Surface." Plan accordingly.

Views: 11119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't found it too bad. Last time I went through I was keeping pace with traffic easily (the slow driver in the Lexus ahead of me helped) which made it easy to take the lane. Time before that the work crew had traffic stopped for a crane and I had the whole thing to myself!

Maybe they were doing something different than usual yesterday evening.

Ick, really? I experienced it for the first time this week too. I took the lane and it was a pretty slow-moving pace. Overally none of the drivers seemed to be freaking out - I suspect some of them have probably chosen other routes in the meantime. The only part I wasn't a fan of was the newly created pinch point coming off Elston onto southbound Milwaukee. With the arrow sign up in the turn lane, it's causing some drivers to disregard the bike markings through the intersection, some merging to the right without looking. An area for all to be cautious..

Alex Z said:

Did I see Steve Vance tweet that he saw this work would continue into December? Yikes.

The two times i have ridden it have been southbound at relatively light traffic times.  I saw people get on the sidewalk both at the Elston/Milwaukee mess and in the area south of Chicago.  It is just too narrow for cars and bikes to be side by side. I am just going to avoid it at all times until it is finished.

Julia 3.5/7.5 mi said:

Ick, really? I experienced it for the first time this week too. I took the lane and it was a pretty slow-moving pace. Overally none of the drivers seemed to be freaking out - I suspect some of them have probably chosen other routes in the meantime. The only part I wasn't a fan of was the newly created pinch point coming off Elston onto southbound Milwaukee. With the arrow sign up in the turn lane, it's causing some drivers to disregard the bike markings through the intersection, some merging to the right without looking. An area for all to be cautious..

Alex Z said:

Did I see Steve Vance tweet that he saw this work would continue into December? Yikes.

I've ridden it multiple times this week easily keeping pace with the rate of traffic. All times I've taken the lane and ridden with other cyclists thru the length of it. Certainly not the worst construction points I've experienced this summer.
10/21/13: I don't know if it's a construction issue or an experiment, but the traffic light sequence at Grand, Milwaukee and Halsted has been changed to clockwise from counterclockwise. Used to be Milwaukee-Grand-Halsted. Today it was Milwaukee-Halsted-Grand. Odd.

Wow. That could throw a lot of people.

I meant to post this yesterday but I saw on Sunday (10/20) a sign saying that the bridge over the river on Chicago Ave would be out starting 10/21. Can anyone confirm, know how long it's out, or whether it's closed to pedestrians as well or just road traffic?

For those who live or ride far south, 91st St. between Metra/Beverly Blvd. and Ashland is getting a utility project (water main, perhaps?). Whenever that's done, this craters-of-the-moon section of pavement will hopefully get fixed so we have a rideable connection between North Beverly and Vincennes again.

As of today the westbound bike lane on the bridge is still blocked. Bummer. I wonder how long until they finish.

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

Last night there was a sign on the Kinzie bridge that it will be closed from tonight at 10:00 p.m. to Monday, 10-21-13 at 5:00 a.m.  I sure hope they are going to finish the darned thing.  I hate riding on those grates.

If all they are doing is painting, this is incredible.  I could have painted that bridge myself by now!

Alex Z said:

As of today the westbound bike lane on the bridge is still blocked. Bummer. I wonder how long until they finish.

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

Last night there was a sign on the Kinzie bridge that it will be closed from tonight at 10:00 p.m. to Monday, 10-21-13 at 5:00 a.m.  I sure hope they are going to finish the darned thing.  I hate riding on those grates.

Sedgwick is all done, very nice!

Wells is open across the Chicago River!

Nice, brightly-painted bike lane across the bridge.

Kinzie was full of traffic cones this morning over the river and I was like WHAT in the world but then I saw they're just re-striping the crosswalks, etc. That's good; it would be awesome if they re-installed the many bollards that have been run over, but I guess I don't expect they will.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service