The Chainlink

The rain yesterday made me finally admit that my Marmot shell is no longer even remotely waterproof. It is something like seven years old and served me well, but hasn't been completely waterproof for a while now. It is time for an upgrade/replacement. I'd be grateful for any suggestions. Ideally the jacket will serve as an outer winter layer as well as a rain coat for the rest of the year. So a big heavy rain-coat kind of thing would be overkill, but then again, a flimsy rain/windbreaker type jacket won't quite cut it. Price is an issue of course, but durability and functionality come first.

Requirements:

1. Waterproof

2. Either breathable or well vented (pit zips).

Nice to have:

1. Removable hood

2. Multiple pockets 

3. At least somewhat packable.

I thank you in advance for any advice, anecdotes and experiences.

Views: 822

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I  came home soaked this  spring I decided to get a new waterproof/breathable.  All of the  products are similar in that the waterproof property is fragile. If you  don't wash it with the  right detergents and if you don't  apply a product to refresh the waterproof property you can  get wet.  This  had been happening  over  time to my REI  jacket that  was great but was not  longer  great. I  bought  a Columbia  Outdry jacket. http://www.columbia.com/technology-outdry-extreme/?mid=paidsearch&a...!3937!3!190168143046!e!!g!!columbia%20outdry&ef_id=WIobJwAAAD2LUmFu:20171013154644:s#prefn1=productClass&prefv1=Jackets  The  concept is that  the waterproof layer  is no longer  on the outside and  less likely to get  washed away or abraded by a branch. So far I  have been very  dry but find the jacket is not quite as breathable as my REI  Elements jacket had been.  I  am happy with the trade off so far.  I looked at Showers Pass and was ready to pull the trigger  but the  concept on that jacket  is the  same as all the  others. I figured I will be  less  likely to  make  my jacket less waterproof  just because I am not as careful when I put  it in the wash.We will see. 

Has anyone experience with using a poncho? I do have a rain jacket but am curious about their effectiveness. 

The rain cape.  That's mostly what I know. "A jacket with a hood, or a conventional poncho, is not recommended, because it will interfere with vision when turning the head."

Did anyone do the Perimeter ride? ;) <3

For the old one, hit it with some spray. http://amzn.to/2yrOWEs  Not sure what fabric you've got, but you usually just need to spray on and toss in the dryer. There's also seam tape out there. You can use it as 'disposable' clothing' for a running event or concert should the need arise. 

On rain shells, the fabric is everything. If you get the right jacket with the right fabric, you can wear it when it is 80 degrees and skiing with a fleece under it, so there is no reason to skimp. WHile doing some work at a major sportswear company, I bought a running jacket with a second rate fabric, and it 'wets out' early and doesn't pack as small as it could. I also have a proper Gore Tex rain shell, and it's comfy to 70+ deg, packs down small, but not cut for exercising. I also have a Pearl Izumi wind jacket, and I get drenched in it. Beware, some of the lighter, packable, minimalist jackets aren't as abrasion resistant as you'd expect with a Goretex winter shell. 

I see you've already picked out something, but for non-bike specific gear the new 'outdry' / 'eVent' / "neoshell" etc are better than traditional Goretex as they do a better job of letting heat and humidity out, preventing you from raining on the inside. They aren't as ultimately waterproof, but are pretty good.  IIRC, the technical fabric is all made be the same people. Since, there is no single brandname, you need to look for the w/b rating  - 

Gore fabrics are the next best. I think Gore's ShakeDry is the current best. It looks like a garbage bag though. If you want a bike specific cut and will use it daily, go Gore. https://cyclingtips.com/2017/10/gore-tex-shakedry-shootout-who-make...

I haven't found anything that will breath or waterproof like anything some those two fabrics. Again, my PI jacket/vest will probably get replaced with a Gore vest as soon as I find a deal. 

Looks like showespass breaks it down - https://www.showerspass.com/pages/how-choose-best-waterproof-cyclin...

Anyway, point is you get a lot of value (comfortable temp range) going for the fancier fabrics. Definitely spend some money (up to $250) if you're an outdoorsy person. 

My own shell is an inexpensive Frogg Togs rain shell which came as part of a rain suit. The only gripe I have with it is that's it's rather easy to rip it

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service