The Chainlink

I heard that the Northerly Island path was taped off today. Anyone hear anything about this? Is it just the beach entrance or can we still get on via the parking lot entrance? I imagine this has to do with the planned expansion of the Charter One Pavilion...

Views: 2413

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

+1

David Barish said:

I have my tickets and cannot wait to bike to that show.

h' 1.0 said:

I was wondering how they were going to accommodate Phish in that venue... that explains it.

FYI, I tweeted Gabe Klein (@gabe_klein) asking if expanded bike parking was included in the plans for the venue and he tweeted back "yes!".

Anne Alt said:

Perhaps if everyone contacted Live Nation and suggested that a quantity of bike parking (or even bike valet) be added at Charter One Pavilion, they might get the message.  Worth a try.

h' 1.0 said:

Hopefully they'll increase the bike parking capacity along with the venue size. It's already woefully inadequate.  I'd almost suggest locking by the Planetarium if they don't. 

And me too!

Apie 10.64 said:

+1

David Barish said:

h' 1.0 said:

I was wondering how they were going to accommodate Phish in that venue... that explains it.

So... to the question of why there isn't greater opposition.....

here ya go.

Davo said:

And me too!

Apie 10.64 said:

+1

David Barish said:

h' 1.0 said:

Good to know.  Thanks!

JeffB (7+ miles) said:

FYI, I tweeted Gabe Klein (@gabe_klein) asking if expanded bike parking was included in the plans for the venue and he tweeted back "yes!".

Yes... I love going to shows outside and the Charter One Pavilion is a great place to see a show. The location sure beats having to travel to Alpine Valley, Toyota Park, Or sweating my ass off inside the UIC.  So i don't mind having the Venue expand.  

h' 1.0 said:

here ya go.

Davo said:

And me too!

Apie 10.64 said:

+1

David Barish said:

h' 1.0 said:

How many bike friendly major outdoor venues do we have? Millennium Park, Grant Park, Ravinia and Charter One.  Are any of the other large outdoor venues actually bike friendly?

Davo said:

Yes... I love going to shows outside and the Charter One Pavilion is a great place to see a show. The location sure beats having to travel to Alpine Valley, Toyota Park, Or sweating my ass off inside the UIC.  So i don't mind having the Venue expand.  

They're adding two additional bike parking spaces! Whoopee!!!

Anne Alt said:

Good to know.  Thanks!

JeffB (7+ miles) said:

Mixed feelings here. I like it the size it is, and have seen some great shows for under $30, and it's crazy-easy for me to ride to.  Sometimes living in Chicago can be a negative because you have so much more competition for bigger name bands when they come here and end up having no choice but to pay ridiculous prices (or give it a pass.)  So in a way losing a venue that is too small for big names is a bit of a downer.
But I think the question about opposition may have had to do more with losing greenspace? Maybe whoever raised it can elaborate on what we're losing?

Davo said:

h' 1.0 said:

here ya go.

Davo said:

And me too!

Apie 10.64 said:

+1

David Barish said:

h' 1.0 said:

I agree I have some mixed feelings as well but it looks like more Ticket sales means more money for Parks projects. So thats a plus. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013-03-22/news/ct-met-northerly...

h' 1.0 said:

Mixed feelings here. I like it the size it is, and have seen some great shows for under $30, and it's crazy-easy for me to ride to.  Sometimes living in Chicago can be a negative because you have so much more competition for bigger name bands when they come here and end up having no choice but to pay ridiculous prices (or give it a pass.)  So in a way losing a venue that is too small for big names is a bit of a downer.
But I think the question about opposition may have had to do more with losing greenspace? Maybe whoever raised it can elaborate on what we're losing?

Davo said:

h' 1.0 said:

here ya go.

Davo said:

And me too!

Apie 10.64 said:

+1

David Barish said:

h' 1.0 said:

The opposition to it is by the "Grant Park Conservancy and Advisory Council" as quoted in the article above. The whole lakefront is pretty much paved over, and there is little natural spaces left. That island is home to a lot of migrating bird species. The Flint creek wildlife rehabilitation is there too. When Daley killed miegs he promised it would not become another tourist attraction and build a bunch of shit on it. Of course he went ahead and did it anyway. Now they are quadrupling it the size, which will no doubt affect the area. 4 times the litter etc... And seriously, do we really need another fucking concert venue? There is millenium park, and petrillo right there (underutilized?). And a shit ton of other venues throughout the city. I mean come on, the last thing this city needs is another concert venue. Why take one of the few places along the lake that isn't paved over and ruin it?

h' 1.0 said:

I'd guess being an 'island' it's easier (and cheaper) to secure.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service