The Chainlink

With the new Cook County Commissioner redistricting, the Old Edgebrook neighborhood now falls into Commissioner Bridget Gainer's district. She has received letters from the Edgebrook Community Association and the neighbors of Old Edgebrook to put pressure to stop the trail extension. Construction is scheduled to begin November 30, 2015 and we need Commissioner Gainer to hear from supporters of the trail. Please consider calling or writing Commissioner Gainer an email stating your support, what the trail means to you and if you live in her district. It’s okay if you don’t live in her district, but it’s important to hear from the district constituents if they are supporters, find the district map here. Email her at Info@BridgetGainer.com or call her office at (312) 603-4210 to share your support of the trail extension. Please forward this email to fellow trail supporters.

Thank you for your help and support! Hopefully this time next year I will be seeing you at the trail ribbon cutting. 

Not familiar with the project? Check it out here

Thank you!!!!

Views: 3503

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You are invited to the following event:

North Branch Trail Construction Briefing

Event to be held at the following time, date, and location:

Monday, November 30, 2015 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM (CST)

Matthew Bieszczat Volunteer Resource Center
6100 N. Central Avenue
Chicago, IL 60646

Map: http://tinyurl.com/oz8wllt

The Forest Preserves of Cook County is hosting a public briefing to inform residents of the construction impacts as we begin the trail improvements on the North Branch Trail Southern Extension.

This meeting will focus on Stage One construction of the trail from Devon and Caldwell, south to Forest Glen Avenue. Updated trail information can be found on our website if you cannot attend the meeting.

We hope you can join us and please pass along the invitation to your neighbors and colleagues.

Share this event on Facebook and Twitter

Thank you,
Forest Preserves of Cook County

Thanks for posting it as an event as well. So glad this is moving forward! 

The rain kept me from the meeting, but Brian posted a report on the bike-chi@listserv.uic.edu list:

-------------

Just came home from the meeting.  Same old same old.

Good news: Construction starts tomorrow (dec 1) to mark the trees and
"site" the trail. They expect to start tree removal on the 7th or so for
Phase I (Devon south to Forest Glen Ave). The project is expected to be
completed in Fall 2016. If the contract is awarded in time for Phase II
(which is now funded) after the bids come back, they expect they can
finish it at the same time since Phase II is less complex. (No bridges or
traffic signals!)

The Old Edgebrook group raised the same tired complaints that they hadn't
been communicated to appropriately, that they should have had a different
route, etc. etc. I felt they were not respectful of the planning team and
frankly just rude. The impacted neighborhood (Old Edgebrook) was vocal
and sniping of the planners.

The community people did finally admit that they were concerned about the
liability of someone (ie a cyclist) being hit. So "safety" did come down
to their liability as motorists more than genuine safety.

My $0.02 -- I have to cross a busy crosswalk frequently when I leave my
house. It's called a sidewalk. Old Edgebrook will finally have to get
used to it.

Bob:

This bike trail extension could have been made safer to minimize potentially life altering accidents. That's not a "tired complaint." That is caring about the safety of bike riders, neighbors, friends, community members and the residents of Cook County.

It is not only Old Edgebrook that will be impacted. Bike riders and drivers on Central will be impacted as well. Not everyone who drives into Old Edgebrook is a resident.

A bike trail set 70 feet west of Central crossing two small residential streets, that is not visible from Central before a driver turns, often quickly, because of fast traffic behind them, is not safe for anyone. Old Edgebrook residents understand the traffic dynamics of the area very well because we drive this area every day. That is why we have advocated for increased safety measures.

This bike path extension segment could have been moved to a safer location. In fact, the original plans the Forest Preserve District posted had this extension on the east side of Central, but the Forest Preserve District made the decision that money, not safety, was their priority. A safer location would have respected the well-being of bike riders, residents and all the other people who drive on Central, Louise and Prescott.

That is caring about the safety of bike riders, neighbors, friends, community members and the residents of Cook County...

The only "safety" concern was about being sued if somebody driving a car hit a pedestrian or bike rider.  The concern was about the financial "safety".

before a driver turns, often quickly, because of fast traffic behind them,..

What's the concern about turning quickly because of traffic behind you?  Let them wait until you complete your turn.  This is a big city, it's not unusual to wait behind someone making a turn.

In fact, the original plans the Forest Preserve District posted had this extension on the east side of Central, but the Forest Preserve District made the decision that money, not safety,..

Your beating a dead horse here.  At the previous meeting the Forest Preserve explained the options of east vs. west side of Central.  I think the bike riders could have accepted either path but support the decision of the Forest Preserve.  Their traffic engineers would be unbiased, and work out the best way that's efficient. 

The cost of traversing Central to put the bike path on the east side was prohibitive.  Would the residents of Old Edgebrook be willing to pay for this alone, to save themselves the convenience?  I don't think so.

As I have said before, this is NOT an issue about convenience, it is about safety. Your safety, my safety, the safety of all residents in Cook County, and the safety of all people who ride bikes on the bike trail. If safety is not an issue for you, so be it.

Not one person at the meeting last night talked about covinience. The majority talked about safety, so why are you beating a dead horse that has never been the issue?

Making the bike trail as safe as possible should be the top priority. Compromising safety to rather than finding additional funding is not the right choice.

Petra,

I'm sorry this didn't work out as you hoped it would. I'm not sure there is anything anyone on this site is able to do to help you. We're just happy the bike path is getting extended.  I think you've expressed your opinion about the bike path very clearly and we, as cyclists, have disagreed but either way, we don't have the ability to change the decisions that were made. 

With all due respect, I have spoken to a number of cyclists who agree that this is an unsafe segment of the extension, so I think there is more than one point of view among bike riders who use the North Branch bike trails.

The cyclists on this thread on Chainlink have been disagreeing with you pretty consistently (they are the ones I am referring to).  I guess I am wondering what you are hoping to do here on The Chainlink? 

A stop sign at trail crossing(s) would take care of that pretty well, no? I don't get the impression that you would be very happy with that, though. Like Yasmeen, I am not sure what you are trying to accomplish here, or to communicate. We know how you feel, but that train has left the station.

A stop sign on the street, to give the trail the right-of-way, or a stop sign on the trail to give the street the right-of-way?

I meant a stop sign for cars, but one could have both. This would require re-engineering the crossing but I meant this as more of a thought experiment than anything else.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service