The Chainlink

The so-called biking mayor is stepping down.What do you think of the future of biking will be under a new mayor?

Views: 154

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally I support Da Coach for Da Mayor, but that's just me.

Juan Dominguez said:
It looks like all of us concerned chainlinkers will have to start looking at and talking about the upcoming candidates.
YAHOOOOOO......

I guess a bunch of aldermen are going to take the money and run too...err, I mean "step down" and not seek re-election.

Great chance for us to vote in some new blood, I'm of the opinion that Chicago is as great as it is in spite of the leadership here, so lets stop voting in the same people, or people with the same last name, or someones son-in-law.

I hope there is never another daley ever in office
You think Ditka cares about da cyclists?

notoriousDUG said:

Juan Dominguez said:
It looks like all of us concerned chainlinkers will have to start looking at and talking about the upcoming candidates.
Ditka doesn't care, at all, period.

This is why I believe he will make an excellent mayor.

Juan Dominguez said:
You think Ditka cares about da cyclists?

notoriousDUG said:

Juan Dominguez said:
"Voting them all out" is as guaranteed to assure poor leadership as "voting them all in."
Take the time to learn who they are and what they've done.
Keep the good ones, get rid of the bad ones.

Rick norris said:
YAHOOOOOO......

I guess a bunch of aldermen are going to take the money and run too...err, I mean "step down" and not seek re-election.

Great chance for us to vote in some new blood, I'm of the opinion that Chicago is as great as it is in spite of the leadership here, so lets stop voting in the same people, or people with the same last name, or someones son-in-law.

Sorry, after growing up here, there is no good ones.

Yeah fine I got no issue with poor leadership, problem is all our great leaders are a bunch of rip off jerks that are only out for themselves.

After a term or two they find the weak spots in the system and exploit it....there aint an alderman worth a damn right now, they are ALL OVERPAID, and voting themselves fat raises and fatter pensions, with way too many perks for the job.

Sorry I'm just pissed because daddy didn't pay off the bar association for me so I could get a plushy job

H3N3 said:
"Voting them all out" is as guaranteed to assure poor leadership as "voting them all in."

Rick norris said:
YAHOOOOOO......

It would be great to do that but but I got 3 generations of machine voters in my family in montrose cemetery...they will never change the way they vote

Duane Waller said:
Emanuel is Machine. I thought we were trying to get away from the Chicago Machine.

Brendan Kevenides said:
Emanuel's not machine, he's some twerp from Wilmette who's spent his adult life in Washington. No doubt he's down with Richie, but so are the Pritzkers and Ozzie Guillen, you know?

To make the most banal possible point, by the way, this is a great time to stop bitching on the internet and get involved. Every rat in the city is sizing up a run, so putting a call in to your preferred candidate's office and letting him/her know they have your support/money/time or going to boring community meetings and letting your opinions be heard actually matters. Hell, organizing Chainlinkers to send a questionnaire around to potential candidates and pledge manpower to the candidate with the best answers could end up paying some dividends...
Bikes Will Not Be Doomed!
Exactly.

H3N3 said:

Rick norris said:
YAHOOOOOO......

I grew up here, lived away for some years after college, and moved back, so I've had the experience of living and spending time in a variety of different places.

When I compare cycling conditions in Chicago now to what they were back in the early 1980s before Daley was elected, there is no comparison. While there's stlil room for improvement, we've made ENORMOUS leaps forward during his time in office. I don't think we would have made nearly as much progress without his interest in cycling. I'm grateful for the difference he's made. Our combination of bike facilities and public transit puts us ahead of the vast majority of U.S. cities.

The budget situation has stalled our progress a bit. I hope that the next mayor will be a strong coalition builder who assembles a good team and helps the city rebuild financially so that we can continue making progress.

David said:
I'm kind of new to Chicago and I'm generally disdainful of the fact that there's been extremely little progress on the bike front since I've been here. But if you look at big cities in the US, after New York and Chicago it seems to me that you have to go pretty far down the list before you come up with a city that has anything remotely comparable in terms of support for bike transportation.

What other big cities do you think we're falling behind? If you look at, say, the top 20 largest cities in the US, it seems to me that Chicago looks pretty good comparatively. But I really don't know all of those cities that well so I could easily be missing something. On the other hand, I agree that we seem to be standing still while other cities are quickly moving forward.

Joel said:
Was Daley actually that effective of a biking proponent? I mean in actual policy, work, etc. He can tout his green and cycling friendly position all day (and he does), but claiming to be something doesn't mean he actual does anything. I think Chicago has seriously fallen behind other big cities in making cycling a real mode of transportation.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service