The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138510

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I saw no cyclists on my commute to work today. Odd.

The weather predictions couldn't scare me from riding 12 miles round trip to appear before Channel 7's cameras to promote a giant Red Cross Blood Drive on January 9th.  Watch for my interview about volunteering for the Red Cross since 2001 and then watch me ride away on my bike in single digit temperatures.  

I couldn't disappoint the producer when she said she wanted to include my mode of transportation in this news piece.

Just went out to run errands and grab lunch at Hopleaf but it was nice to be outside with the sun shining. 

Gene do you ride through the zoo parking lot occasionally?  I thought I saw you there a few weeks back.

Yup. That was me. I usually cross over from the lakefront trail at Belmont to the west side paths and the zoo lot.

I think I've spotted you up and down the lakefront trail now and again, but I've never spotted you taking one of your great photos. We should have a Chainlink photo competition to see who can take the first photo of you taking a photo.

My first sub-freezing, snow-on-the-ground commute of the year! I love the energy boost I get from the changing seasons making the commute full of different experiences throughout the year.

It was also my first sub-freezing "new" 12 mile commute. Any other north suburb commuters on The Chainlink? I've been riding from Highland Park to the Linden El since the late summer, and love the longer ride.

I haven't been out every day, but am trying to bike through this winter from Evanston down to 31st Street. Last year, (after new year's) I didn't get back out regularly until mid March or so. I'm better prepared this time around with warmer mitts, some Nokians on spare rims for when studded tires will help out. Got some winter cycling shoes and some thick wool socks... but it's my toes that'll knock me off the bike cuz I can't keep em warm enough. Made the 'mistake' yesterday of taking the LFP past the Oak Street curve. Had to walk cuz I didn't have the studs on yesterday (although I don't know if the studs would'a helped much on the icy mess on the trail there). Slipped and slid around the curve and then back on the bike up to Evanston with a pretty good tailwind the whole way. Any time I give in and take the car, I just end up in that parking lot on LSD and watch jealously as those that braved the colder temps just roll on by on their bikes on the LFP. I love the cold weather, sorting out the best combination of gear, and most of all getting caught in the quiet of the snow and watching the world turn white while I roll past all the cars getting stuck in traffic. If you pass by a Bianchi with baskets, give a chainlink shout-out! Have fun out there!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service