The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17629

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The city does have the equipment and it is being used.  The problems are because of snow being shoveled into the lanes.  I am not surprised that this is happening, either, but I take the position that this can be solved with education.  Humans are notoriously slow learners and do not like change. ;-)  Look back in history--it took people a long time to adjust to having "horseless carriages" on the streets, but once they were accepted they really took off!

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

I think that will be an ongoing problem. Normal bike lanes are accessible to snow plows and do not generally run right next to the curb.  If a regular bike lane hasn't been fully cleared, it's likely that some of it has been or has at least been run over by cars, thus "plowing" a groove for bikes.  And if not, you can (carefully)  scoot out into traffic.  Protected bike lanes are not only protected from cars and plows, but, as we have seen, are exposed to people shoveling sidewalks (who otherwise would have parked cars blocking the street adjacent to the curb).  PBLs require special equipment to plow, and if the plows come too soon, the people shoveling the sidewalks will just undo the city's work.

The more I think about it, I'm not really surprised this is turning out to be a problem.  Sorry to be a wet blanket, but maybe protected bike lanes will turn out to only be practical in snow-free climates.  It appears that Minneapolis has a few protected bike lanes, which haven't been universally well-received:

http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/bike-lane-backlash/

In any case, it looks like the issues of snow removal exist there as well:

http://mplsbike.org/blog/posts/protected-bike-lanes-in-chicago/

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

On Monday I probably rode around 30 miles, and the protected lanes were the only places where snow was an issue.

Toronto, which has a climate similar to ours and some protected lanes, seems to have a mixed bag of experiences, with protected lanes cleared before regular lanes after a recent storm.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

I think that will be an ongoing problem. Normal bike lanes are accessible to snow plows and do not generally run right next to the curb.  If a regular bike lane hasn't been fully cleared, it's likely that some of it has been or has at least been run over by cars, thus "plowing" a groove for bikes.  And if not, you can (carefully)  scoot out into traffic.  Protected bike lanes are not only protected from cars and plows, but, as we have seen, are exposed to people shoveling sidewalks (who otherwise would have parked cars blocking the street adjacent to the curb).  PBLs require special equipment to plow, and if the plows come too soon, the people shoveling the sidewalks will just undo the city's work.

The more I think about it, I'm not really surprised this is turning out to be a problem.  Sorry to be a wet blanket, but maybe protected bike lanes will turn out to only be practical in snow-free climates.  It appears that Minneapolis has a few protected bike lanes, which haven't been universally well-received:

http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/05/18/bike-lane-backlash/

In any case, it looks like the issues of snow removal exist there as well:

http://mplsbike.org/blog/posts/protected-bike-lanes-in-chicago/

Dear fellow cyclist, I am very sorry I made you crash into me and fall off your bicycle as I tried rocketing past you on our approach to Congress, I assumed you were going to continue on Dearborn and not turn left onto Congress. If it is any consolation, having soiled your coat, I was honked and yelled at for being in the Madison bike lane by some dupa in his fancy sedan trying to get into his parking garage.

I am missing an electron.

David P. said:

Adam "I don't like to complain" Herstein, I'm going to challenge you to say something positive.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

So, they are basically saying "it wasn't us " and pointing the finger at Streets and San…

That would make you positive, at least until you capture a stray electron.

Montreal has a lot of protected bike lanes, as well.  It's just a matter of people getting used to them.  I biked in from Lake to Jackson along Dearborn and it was not too bad other than some serious flooding in a few spots.

Anne Alt said:

Toronto, which has a climate similar to ours and some protected lanes, seems to have a mixed bag of experiences, with protected lanes cleared before regular lanes after a recent storm.

Dupa? Haven't heard that one in a while - my Polish gramma's favorite equivalent for dumbass.  ;)

Juan 2-8 mi. said:

Dear fellow cyclist, I am very sorry I made you crash into me and fall off your bicycle as I tried rocketing past you on our approach to Congress, I assumed you were going to continue on Dearborn and not turn left onto Congress. If it is any consolation, having soiled your coat, I was honked and yelled at for being in the Madison bike lane by some dupa in his fancy sedan trying to get into his parking garage.

So you're having an ionic day?  ;)

I am missing an electron.

David P. said:

Adam "I don't like to complain" Herstein, I'm going to challenge you to say something positive.

So, they are basically saying "it wasn't us " and pointing the finger at Streets and San…

I notice that the southbound Dearborn lane from Washington to Madison is nearly completely blocked today by snow dumped there from the sidewalk adjoining it. I also wonder whether there was outreach to the management companies of the buildings along the lane advising them that they can't do this. Does anyone know whether there's an ordinance against dumping sidewalk snow into the street when there is no bike lane? I'll look into this and make sure to bring this up at the next Mayor's Bicycle Advisory Council meeting.

AFAIK, the ordinance states that it is recommended but not required to not dump snow from the sidewalk into the roadway.

Michelle Stenzel said:

Does anyone know whether there's an ordinance against dumping sidewalk snow into the street when there is no bike lane? I'll look into this and make sure to bring this up at the next Mayor's Bicycle Advisory Council meeting.

There is not.

These are the ordinances which govern snow removal and both are silent with respect to throwing snow into the public way (whether there is a bike lane or not):

Bookmark4-4-310  Public ways – Maintenance – Littering prohibited – Snow and ice removal.

(a)     Except as otherwise provided in this Code, it shall be unlawful for any licensee to engage in any business on the public way or to use any part of a public way for or in connection with such licensee's business.

(b)     It shall be unlawful for any licensee to litter or to permit the accumulation of any paper, rubbish or refuse upon that portion of the public way abutting the licensed premises.

(c)     (1)     It shall be the duty of each licensee under Title 4 to remove snow and ice from the sidewalk in front of the licensed premises.

(2)     Any licensee, whether individually or in cooperation with other persons or community groups, who removes snow or ice from the public sidewalk or street shall not, as a result of his acts or omissions in such removal, be liable for civil damages.  Provided, however, that this subsection (c)(2) shall not apply to acts or omissions amounting to wilful or wanton misconduct in removing such snow or ice.

(d)     Upon the issuance or renewal of any license issued under Title 4, the commissioner shall provide the  applicant or licensee, as applicable, with information about the provisions of this Code regarding the applicant's or licensee's responsibility for maintaining the public way abutting each business.

(Added Coun. J. 5-9-12, p. 27485, § 14)

Bookmark10-8-180  Snow and ice removal.

Every owner, lessee, tenant, occupant or other person having charge of any building or lot of ground in the city abutting upon any public way or public place shall remove the snow and ice from the sidewalk in front of such building or lot of ground.

If the sidewalk is of greater width than five feet, it shall not be necessary for such person to remove snow and ice from the same for a space wider than five feet.

In case the snow and ice on the sidewalk shall be frozen so hard that it cannot be removed without injury to the pavement, the person having charge of any building or lot of ground as aforesaid shall, within the time specified, cause the sidewalk abutting on the said premises to be strewn with ashes, sand, sawdust, or some similar suitable material, and shall, as soon thereafter as the weather shall permit, thoroughly clean said sidewalk.

The snow which falls or accumulates during the day (excepting Sundays) before four p.m. shall be removed within three hours after the same has fallen or accumulated. The snow which falls or accumulates on Sunday or after four p.m. and during the night on other days shall be removed before ten a.m.

Michelle Stenzel said:

I notice that the southbound Dearborn lane from Washington to Madison is nearly completely blocked today by snow dumped there from the sidewalk adjoining it. I also wonder whether there was outreach to the management companies of the buildings along the lane advising them that they can't do this. Does anyone know whether there's an ordinance against dumping sidewalk snow into the street when there is no bike lane? I'll look into this and make sure to bring this up at the next Mayor's Bicycle Advisory Council meeting.

I think there should be. The problem of snow should not be pushed out into the street. There are places all over town, bike lane or not, where pushing snow out into the street creates a problem for cyclists.

Kevin C 4.1 mi said:

There is not.

These are the ordinances which govern snow removal and both are silent with respect to throwing snow into the public way (whether there is a bike lane or not):

Bookmark4-4-310  Public ways – Maintenance – Littering prohibited – Snow and ice removal.

(a)     Except as otherwise provided in this Code, it shall be unlawful for any licensee to engage in any business on the public way or to use any part of a public way for or in connection with such licensee's business.

(b)     It shall be unlawful for any licensee to litter or to permit the accumulation of any paper, rubbish or refuse upon that portion of the public way abutting the licensed premises.

(c)     (1)     It shall be the duty of each licensee under Title 4 to remove snow and ice from the sidewalk in front of the licensed premises.

(2)     Any licensee, whether individually or in cooperation with other persons or community groups, who removes snow or ice from the public sidewalk or street shall not, as a result of his acts or omissions in such removal, be liable for civil damages.  Provided, however, that this subsection (c)(2) shall not apply to acts or omissions amounting to wilful or wanton misconduct in removing such snow or ice.

(d)     Upon the issuance or renewal of any license issued under Title 4, the commissioner shall provide the  applicant or licensee, as applicable, with information about the provisions of this Code regarding the applicant's or licensee's responsibility for maintaining the public way abutting each business.

(Added Coun. J. 5-9-12, p. 27485, § 14)

Bookmark10-8-180  Snow and ice removal.

Every owner, lessee, tenant, occupant or other person having charge of any building or lot of ground in the city abutting upon any public way or public place shall remove the snow and ice from the sidewalk in front of such building or lot of ground.

If the sidewalk is of greater width than five feet, it shall not be necessary for such person to remove snow and ice from the same for a space wider than five feet.

In case the snow and ice on the sidewalk shall be frozen so hard that it cannot be removed without injury to the pavement, the person having charge of any building or lot of ground as aforesaid shall, within the time specified, cause the sidewalk abutting on the said premises to be strewn with ashes, sand, sawdust, or some similar suitable material, and shall, as soon thereafter as the weather shall permit, thoroughly clean said sidewalk.

The snow which falls or accumulates during the day (excepting Sundays) before four p.m. shall be removed within three hours after the same has fallen or accumulated. The snow which falls or accumulates on Sunday or after four p.m. and during the night on other days shall be removed before ten a.m.

Michelle Stenzel said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service