The Chainlink

always have been always will be. I grew up loving cars. My father was in the auto industry & raced cars. I own a cool vintage car, love road trips & the interstate highway system. I actually like driving though not so much in the city. Who really does anyway?

I'm also a cyclist and have been since my youth in the 1970's. I worked in bike shops & as a bike mechanic. This year I'll end up riding over 8000 miles. Again. I raised my sons to be avid cyclists. One works in a bike shop & is an intern at Chainlink. The other refuses to get a drivers license. 

So am I Schizophrenic? Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde? Am I sleeping with the enemy? Can you support Palestinian statehood & Israel?

I've been a member of CL since we numbered in the hundreds & I've seen it all on this forum so if you must flame me try & be creative.

Views: 3416

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That was a great rally this year thanks to the snow storm. I was moving around helping to train timing crews but still had some time to watch the cars, too.

If there are any plans for a Chainlink LeMons car let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUS305NKLKY

Someone else's video of stage 13 later that day (your car is around 2:08)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oejlq1V0l2s

GabeW (not the other Gabe) said:

Just got back from a race weekend.  The legs on the right are mine, the legs in the middle stopped to pick up a bicycle on the way home from this event :)  The "whamberlamps" is our service truck, complete with couch, fridge, and all the comforts of home.

Nicholas Mukkada;

On warmer dry days I comute to Franklin Park both ways, I used to commute Melrose park (19th and North) till my company moved to Franklin Park(Mannhein & grand). My favorite part is coming home at midnight, for a 2 hour commute. My main problem is finding a way to cross Des Plaines river safely. I dont how much longer I will do this or have a job, as my company was sold last month and the new company fired 6 banner presidents, to start. 3 of my cars are sitting idle for the last 3 years, while this winter I built 3 bikes, house is probably better equiped than some bike shops, got enough spare parts to build a few more bikes. On my leisure times , I usually right around the north side or do one of Lee Diamonds neighborhood rides.

This seems like the right thread to mention that I'm going to go spectate at the LeMons race at Gingerman in South Haven, MI tomorrow. If there is anyone here who wants a ride to do the same, let me know. I'll probably leave around 9A, earlier if I wake up early enough. I live on the NW side.

The only car I ever really wanted was a 'Vette until I'd read that it's considered an old fogies car. But let me ask a tougher question, is it possible to be both a Cubs fan and a Sox fan in this city?

No.

Joe Guzzardo said:

The only car I ever really wanted was a 'Vette until I'd read that it's considered an old fogies car. But let me ask a tougher question, is it possible to be both a Cubs fan and a Sox fan in this city?

It would be very NICE to see the auto industry change the way car doors open for the sake of cyclists.

After having a rather boring economy car for a long time, I picked up a '09 Mustang GT. I used to have one way back in the day, and I'm loving having a fun car again. As others have already said, I spend more time working on the car and riding the bike then driving the car, but I still have fun. And I see no reason to think bike person and car person conflict in anyway. They are all machines.

Awesome! I was going to watch it, but I can't get channel 7 for some reason, so got stuck watching NASCAR. How was it?

David P. said:

This seems like the right thread to mention that I'm going to go spectate at the LeMons race at Gingerman in South Haven, MI tomorrow. If there is anyone here who wants a ride to do the same, let me know. I'll probably leave around 9A, earlier if I wake up early enough. I live on the NW side.

This was my ride to the theater last night.  No, the other one. 

Channel 7? I don't get it. It was lots of fun. I hadn't been out of my car for 60 seconds before a coworker from my old job at Chrysler in Auburn Hills spotted me, which was a nice surprise. They had a reliable car, so the non-drivers were just sitting around and monitoring the radios. Index of Effluency was won by a spectacularly slow, and ugly, Isuzu I-mark Diesel with more rust than paint. One team had taken the head off of one guy's daily-driver Supra, driven down from Wisconsin, to keep the 'Supra Troopers' race car going. Wonder how they got that one home! They got the Heroic Fix award. There is another race at Autobahn Country Club in Joliet in early June. That one's close enough to ride to!

Jason said:

Awesome! I was going to watch it, but I can't get channel 7 for some reason, so got stuck watching NASCAR. How was it?

David P. said:

That was some storm getting down there!

So I feel like we must have met or know each other even though I don't have any idea who you are.  We mus have crossed paths at some point.  Will you be at STPR? I might hitch a ride out there next month.

I'll plug some more rally events here too:

Sat. May 11thIndy region rallyx at Friendswood golf course.  Time trial racing on a graded but fairly torn up driving green.

Sat. May 18 Indiana Rallycross series event at Badlands offroad park on a soy bean field.  Should be a huge track and it's a new venue so no ruts yet just smooth farmland.  My friend and I are working on an 86(?) Audi 4000 quatro for this, hoping to have a 1.8t from a passat swapped in in time.  We'll see, we didn't get very far last night...

Sat/Sun May 25/26 Wisconsin Autosports Group Saturday left foot braking tutorial and practice day, Sunday super rallycross.  Surface is hard pack dirt motorcycle track.

Any car in good mechanical condition and at stock ride height can handle these surfaces, I've even seen miatas (with hard top) racing and doing well.  Come on out if it sounds fun.

Tricolor said:

That was a great rally this year thanks to the snow storm. I was moving around helping to train timing crews but still had some time to watch the cars, too.

If there are any plans for a Chainlink LeMons car let me know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUS305NKLKY

Someone else's video of stage 13 later that day (your car is around 2:08)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oejlq1V0l2s

GabeW (not the other Gabe) said:

Just got back from a race weekend.  The legs on the right are mine, the legs in the middle stopped to pick up a bicycle on the way home from this event :)  The "whamberlamps" is our service truck, complete with couch, fridge, and all the comforts of home.

LOL

Lemons. 

Not LeMans.

Juuuuuust a bit different scale and budget :)

Jason said:

David P. said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service