The Chainlink

When a website that claims to be promoting local cycling in the city of Chicago has a banner ad for a site which is one of the many internet discount outlets that make it hard for local bike shops.

Way to go Chainlink, bravo.  Is the advertising dollar worth making things harder on the local shops here in Chicago?

Is this site about serving the local community or is it about being a profit center for it's owner?

Views: 6735

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1. It is not my bike shop and I agree the flat fix price is to high but being as I am but a wage slave there is nothing I can do about it.  That flat fix does, however, come with a 30 day warranty so if you get another flat in a month it's free.

2. Bike Sweets is a online seller based in Wisconsin.

3. it is a consumers choice and I understand that.  You are mistaking this for a complaint that people buy online, I understand why they do it, my complaint is with advertising here.

Robert Beck said:

Well its a new year, and the same whining going on from you! 

You wanna know what is really lame, when your bike shop charges twenty dollars for a flat, that sssssooooooo lame..... 

As far as the ad you are talking about, I don't know which one you are referring to.

Is it not up to the consumer to chose what they want and when they want it?  I think it is just business, some bike shops overcharge the consumer with their prices and really poor customer service. 

Me personally I shop around and see what bike shop has the best price and it all depends on customer service for me!

As far as the internet, I have not ordered nothing at all from this thing called the internet, however  consumers use this outlet to purchase goods they cannot find or find a better price on the merchandise they are seeking.

Your argument is nonsense, if people do not choose to shop at a the local bike shop but rather go to this discount site good for them, it is just business.  DUG welcome to the new MILLENNIUM where computers and robots work with humans....!!!...

This is not me promoting Rapid Transit, this is me promoting local bike shops over online retailers and I have been well before I ever worked at one.

Here's the thing your local bike shop gets a pretty raw deal from people who forget, or take for granted, all that a good local bike shop offers them.  Things that people often take advantage of and then go buy somewhere else.  Example:

• You are looking for a new bike, not sure if you need a 56 or 58cm frame you cruise on down to ye ole LBS and test ride some bikes.  After riding the bikes and talking with the sales people to ensure the proper fit of your new purchase you head on home and purchase your brand new bike on the internet to save some money. Know why that bikes cost 2-300 more at the LBS?  1. You are paying for the bike shop to stock the bikes for you to ride; that costs them money. 2. The sales people there who help you figure the fit out for you. 3. The fact that you are buying a bike assembled by a mechanic and not just sent to your house in a box.  Isn't that worth the extra money? Apply this mindset to pretty much any product a bike ship sells.

You're right; bike shops charge more for stuff than you can get it else where but what else do those places do for you?  Has an online retailer ever:

• Helped make sure you ordered the right part?
  • Taken it back if it was wrong?
  • Given you small parts for free?
  • Done small adjustments on your bike for free?
  • Provided free air and lubed your chain for you?
  • Answered all you questions?

Bike shops do a lot of little things, try not to forget them when you choose where to spend your money.

Brendan said:

I really think this thread should be deleted.  It's such garbage on all accounts.  

It seems like some people want to put a halo around the phrase "local bike shop", while ignoring the reality that it is not some noble civic duty to go out of our way to support a business that often either a) doesn't deserve it b) does not make monetary sense for a number of consumers.  

As far as RT goes, maybe Dug is taking the Bill O'Reilly approach to promoting cycling and buying cycling gear.  It doesn't matter what you say, just how loud you say it.  Whatever works I guess.  

Warm and fuzzy...

h' said:

Group hug!!

The arguement here is pretty much a bitchfest. Local bike shops do get good press here, many of the LBS's that treat their customers right are recognized for that achievement and the positive aspects of the local economy is often bantied about in parts, labor and servicing discussions.

Julie has noit beaten us up over making ends meet for her LOCAL BUSSINESS, this website, and if she were a money driven entrepeneur she would be running ads from Performance, California Cycle and the plethora of web stores that do represent a major threat to the LBS. Her acceptance of ad dollars from a Wisconsin retailer (notice how I sidestep the whole WI is a neo-conservative sh*#hole arguement) which is dern near local itself might just be the dollars that keep the site from folding under the weight of its servers and equipment. Just as a LBS has capital expenditures and overhead costs so does a website. I have been a part of a couple of camera sites that have also gone thru growth pains due to their load of 'faithful' followers I hope that Julie maintains this site with an eye to the sensibilities of her constituents. I will be a strong supporter (unfortunately not in the financial area) and vocal defender regardles of the way she turns so long as the forum remains of and about the cyclists of Chicago.

Thank you Julie and may the New Year bring you continued success (and hopefully some monetary reparations for your work) while this site grows into a strong LOCAL advocate for riders to see, hear and speak about what is important to us...even if that is railing for the selfinterests of the moneygrubbing capitalist owners of thew LBS's...sorry Chris you just ended up as collateral damage in this dicussion, I hope both of your shops (interesting new location...hope it gains as loyal a following as the Wicker Park site) continue to provide a stable income for your family.

If either or any of the parties of this debate find need I hope we can all be supportive in any way we can be it as a customer or ADVERTISER so the services these LBS and sites continue to be available to Chicago Cyclists.

Jeff

The Chicagoan

Where's hustla da rabbit?

Juan said:

Warm and fuzzy...

h' said:

Group hug!!

Competition is a good thing.  

Most everything comes from a long way off anyhow -it's just a matter of through what channels.  The bike shops are just mail-ordering their stuff through UPS just like the stuff that comes from Amazon.  Green-wise it is pretty much a wash regarding packaging and energy costs.

The local bike shop is adding value to deal that one might not get from Amazon, Niagara, or the other online places by giving you service.    If it REALLY is valuable to the buyign public then they will take advantage of the "deal" and be willing to pay a little bit more for it.  If it ISN'T really adding value then people are going to buy their stuff elsewhere -or online.  If the LBS is actually that much of a better choice then they should be able to compete on the value they are adding.  If not, then they don't deserve it.

I remember being at a LBS a few weeks ago when I was chatting with another customer who was looking to buy some cycling garment and attempting to get someone who worked at the place's attention.  He had to literally state (and I quote) "I really want to spend some money here today -could I get someone to take it?"  

I think if one is going to get mail-order service at the LBS one might as well just go get mail-order prices and avoid making 2 trips to the shop while you are at it...

Personally, I spend a few grand a year at both the LBS and online (I buy most of my stuff online through Niagara's Amazon site and am quite happy about the 3-day service they have to the Chicago area most of the time.  But I do hop over to some of the local shops to buy a few hundred dollars a year at a handful of LBS's on stuff I need right away and to help spread the wealth a litlle bit and give them a chance to WOW me.  They rarely do (see the above story.)  

It's a free world and a free market.  Being an accomplished mechanic myself also gives me a lot more autonomy from the LBS too.  For the most part I really don't like anyone else working on my machinery and working on bikes is pretty much the easiest thing to work on short of a wheelbarrow or a 2-wheeled cart -especially the vintage machinery I tend to gravitate towards.  It's not exactly rocket-science.  

You make it sound as if online retailers are by definition evil and only exist to screw you out of your hard earned money and forget that some of these online retailers are run by passionate individuals.

Ever talked to Wayne @ TheTouringStore.Com? How about the guys at Dinotte Lighting? Most LBS in the Chcago area can only dream of providing that level of excellence in their service (pre- and post-sales) that these guys consistently deliver.

notoriousDUG said:

Has an online retailer ever:

• Helped make sure you ordered the right part?
  • Taken it back if it was wrong?
  • Given you small parts for free?
  • Done small adjustments on your bike for free?
  • Provided free air and lubed your chain for you?
  • Answered all you questions?

Brendan said:

I really think this thread should be deleted.  It's such garbage on all accounts.  

It seems like some people want to put a halo around the phrase "local bike shop", while ignoring the reality that it is not some noble civic duty to go out of our way to support a business that often either a) doesn't deserve it b) does not make monetary sense for a number of consumers.  

As far as RT goes, maybe Dug is taking the Bill O'Reilly approach to promoting cycling and buying cycling gear.  It doesn't matter what you say, just how loud you say it.  Whatever works I guess.  

Very good point Duppie.  In fact, if I had a brick and mortar retail shop I would ALSO have an on-line presence.   Happy New Year everyone!  (There...there is my warm and fuzzy.)

Duppie said:

You make it sound as if online retailers are by definition evil and only exist to screw you out of your hard earned money and forget that some of these online retailers are run by passionate individuals.

Ever talked to Wayne @ TheTouringStore.Com? How about the guys at Dinotte Lighting? Most LBS in the Chcago area can only dream of providing that level of excellence in their service (pre- and post-sales) that these guys consistently deliver.

Fox News will take advertising from Democrats. The Tribune accepts advertising from the Sun Times. One TV channel will run advertising on another channel. Accepting advertising does NOT MEAN AN ENDORSEMENT. A Chainlink ad gives us one more opportunity to choose. Gimme more.

In the future Chicago of my dreams, there's a bike shop at least in every neighborhood, if not every few blocks, just like there are gas stations now. 

I woud like to see all of us do our best to support local bike shops when feasible.

I agree with the sentiment that it would be ideal if, given that there's been a commitment to making thechainlink.org work as a for-profit enterprise, it were possible to sustain the endeavor with only support of local Chicago businesses.

There's no law says that that anyone who rides a bike has to look at the big picture or consider how their financial decisions affect the future cycling landscape, but I would very much like to see a greater percentage of us doing so.

I also have to agree with this.  Another shop I really like is  Peter White Cycles -They have a great page on Bicycle Lighting Systems and carry stuff that you really can't find anywhere else in the USA like the Spaninnga Lights.

I guarantee that if you go into an LBS they will steer you solely to the products they have on the shelf and poo-poo any other options.  Seriously, I don't really think there are ANY LBS's out there pushing dyno-hub systems much less carry many decent dyno systems or components.  This alone is one of the many reasons I prefer buying stuff online because the LBS's in Chicago do not really cater to such things.   Is it because there isn't much demand or because they just don't supply anything -chicken or egg?  

Duppie said:

Well said.

h' said:

In the future Chicago of my dreams, there's a bike shop at least in every neighborhood, if not every few blocks, just like there are gas stations now. 

I woud like to see all of us do our best to support local bike shops when feasible.

I agree with the sentiment that it would be ideal if, given that there's been a commitment to making thechainlink.org work as a for-profit enterprise, it were possible to sustain the endeavor with only support of local Chicago businesses.

There's no law says that that anyone who rides a bike has to look at the big picture or consider how their financial decisions affect the future cycling landscape, but I would very much like to see a greater percentage of us doing so.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service