The Chainlink

Bikes n' Roses state grant rescinded; program shut down

Views: 1294

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's horrible. I hope there is a way to keep Bikes n Roses going. 

Rauner didn't waste any time going into Grinch mode. Boo!  I hope that Bikes n Roses is able to survive.

Bruce Rauner, Geeesh ! ! What a great governor ! He's sure off to a great start ! I'm sure glad we all voted for him ! Right Eddie C ! Right !

At least he's killing the Illiana Expressway. But, some of the gazillion dollars saved there could/should have gone to B&R.

+1

Greg Valent said:

At least he's killing the Illiana Expressway. But, some of the gazillion dollars saved there could/should have gone to B&R.

It's not just that he should have supported cycling because cycling is nice. The man hates poor people.

Does anyone know the best route for donating to Bikes 'n' Roses? I'd much rather fund this than some guy's potato salad..

+1

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Rauner's approach appears to be to cut funding to everything pending his office's review. While dramatic and attention grabbing, in the long run this is a poor way to cut costs because it is a very disruptive process. Large projects that are ultimately restarted will cost more because of the costs of stopping and restarting them. Small organizations Bikes n' Roses may never recover, even if funding is restored. Key people will be forced to move on to other pursuits and momentum will be lost.

 

Rauner's scorched earth approach is making already difficult cuts more painful than they have to be for sake of being seen as taking immeadiate action.

Donating would be a good way to get it up and running again.  They had a space going on Lawrence Avenue in Albany Park.

But what would we in the bicycling community do to sustain something like this, even if it could be re-started?

MLK said:

Does anyone know the best route for donating to Bikes 'n' Roses? I'd much rather fund this than some guy's potato salad..

It sounds like BNR had reached self-sufficiency, just before they got bumped out of their space. Per the DNAInfo article:

"Over the past two years, Bikes 'n' Roses has gradually been working toward self-sufficiency. Founded in 2011 as an after-school program under the umbrella of the Albany Park Neighborhood Council (now calledCommunities United), Bikes 'n' Roses had just reached the point where revenue from its repair services and retail sales could cover its expenses."

Presumably the grant money would have helped BNR get back to a point of self sufficiency, so just patronizing the shop now and again should be enough to sustain.

Bob Kastigar said:

Donating would be a good way to get it up and running again.  They had a space going on Lawrence Avenue in Albany Park.

But what would we in the bicycling community do to sustain something like this, even if it could be re-started?


RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service