The Chainlink

Active Transportation Alliance detractors and supporters- be heard

I've seen disparaging comments about ATA but never any elaboration, just name calling. I'm just curious to know why they're being knocked.

I also didn't see much buzz if any at these forums for Bike the Drive. Instead, again, just dismissive comments. I'd like to have an informed opinion here: are people just blowing smoke or is there fire there somewhere?

Views: 2497

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes! I wish. Especially during the winters.

Contact your aldermen and request the Bicycle Ambassadors' presence at intersections and streets where this is common - they do enforcement stings with CPD on this exact behavior.

Enforcement events run by ATA/CDOT generally last only 2 hours, and the staff they use - oftentimes the Bicycling Ambassadors - during those events are generally as kind as they can be while also being firm. Police officers are only called over to address cyclists or motorists when a person is being rude or not listening to the Ambassadors. Your characterization of these events as police officers yelling and harassing cyclists "all day" is way off. 

I have no affiliation with ATA. It seems to me they put on great events like Bike the Drive and they do good work advocating for bike lanes, etc. To me, the potshots are just your typical "throw stones at people trying to do something because it's easier than doing something yourself."

I stopped donating after 2 things happened:

- They changed their position on a number of issues that resulted from the LAZ meter deal...one being retaining parking meters for additional bike parking on the street after LAZ took over with the electronic boxes.

- I was hit by a cab, taken to the ER in an ambulance and repeatedly called the Crash Support Hotline for advice and guidance, but only got the machine time and time again.  I never received a phone call in return.

Seems like a conflict of interest but from their POV I guess they want to be pragmatic and play the game to keep a seat at the table so to speak.

INCITE! published a great anthology that gets into this dynamic, which is pretty much the defining feature of the not-for-profit landscape now, where groups and individuals feel it's reasonable to be paid for their advocacy (or community-building, or educational, or environmental activism, etc).  And then get themselves into awkward financial relationships which undermine their mission...  It's called The Revolution Will Not Be Funded, and you can read the very informative introduction as a pdf.

Thanks for linking to the annual report, Cameron.

Ditto. I was proud to support The Chicago Bicycle Federation a group with tunnel vision like focus but Active Trans????? It is very hard to be all things to all people and that is at least close to what has happened. (my opinion anyway)

Like many, I found it as kind of a surprise when it went from the Chicago Bicycle Federation to Active Transportation Alliance.  It seemed to me a move away from bicycle advocacy to a broader spectrum, and that focusing on bicycle interest was going to diminish.  I never saw any public discussion on the change, it just seemed like something that came from on high.

After a short period, however, I decided I would continue to pay dues, to support the "new" organization, and continue to volunteer when I could. It's the only option available that was working on behalf of the bicyclists of the city.

Reading here about the advocacy vs. consulting has me a little concerned.  I can see where a conflict of interest might arise.

The Chainlink and Active Trans partner for a number of events and The Chainlink supports Active Trans through advertising and promoting their events and their organization in general. Before I bought The Chainlink, I did some volunteering, paid the membership and participated in some of their events. I have had many good experiences with them. In every person I've known and met with Active Trans, I will say this - there is so much heart and commitment in what they do. And what they do for cyclists and transportation in general is pretty fantastic. That is why I committed a significant amount of support to them for 2015. I believe in what they are doing.

I find them very responsive to my questions and very thoughtful in their actions and answers. While I understand there may be an issue here and there people don't agree with, what I think we can all agree with is that as a whole, they have brought change to Chicago, helping pave the way for cyclists. Protecting our lanes and protected bike lanes as well as putting on Bike the Drive - an event that has brought so many people to cycling in a way that will make them LOVE it. It's pretty genius - what better way of getting drivers on the side of cyclists than to make them cyclists? 

As a cyclist, I also renewed my membership this year. It's such an important time for cyclists in Chicago - we need their support. And I am sure they are reading every comment that is written about their organization and will take what we say to heart. If you haven't met them, I recommend going to an event and getting to know them. They are people that are very committed to cycling in Chicago. Other forms of transit (walking, busses, trains, etc.) work hand-in-hand with cyclists so I'm pretty comfortable with the expanded scope of their organization. I imagine it probably happened organically as the organization grew. 

I'm not minimizing the feedback expressed here but asking all of us to think about the positive impact they have had for us. One thing I've learned in running Chainlink is that many, many people have very passionate opinions and with so many differing points of view. I will not be able to make everyone happy so I do my best to do what is best for the majority of Chainlink members. It's a learning process, maybe I don't always get it right, but it is definitely done with the best of intentions. I believe Active Trans is similar in this regard - they are always committed to doing what is best for the cycling community.

I'm glad you bought The Chainlink Yasmeen.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service