The Chainlink

Your Input Welcome: Who is this penny-farthing guy? What's your must-wear tip for fall bike fashion?

hi, there...   long time since posting but fall is upon us and i am writing about "bike fashion" for fall (if you have a must-wear tip for men or women please add it here as a comment or text me with a photo, name and description to 773 960 3997. Many thanks to all Chainlink "winter warriors" who shared tips over the winter: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150114/wicker-park/winter-warrior-...

in other news, i am trying to track down the rider of an old-fashioned penny-farthing bike.  Does anyone know whom this guy is? If so, can you put me in touch?  photo credit to Tim Inklebarger 

many thanks and happy cycling!

UPDATE 10/5: Thanks to Julie Keating, who connected me to Paul Schmidt, who connected me to Cary Williams, who then gave me Joseph Kelley's deets.  Chainlink cited in 3rd paragraph: http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151005/wicker-park/meet-guy-who-co...

Views: 1712

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks, Yasmeen!  Can you post a photo of yourself in the Raph jersey and Civila shoes?  What are some reasons a person would want to clip vs. not clip? I will link back to this Chainlink thread!

Hi Alisa, Here are the shoes and the Rapha long-sleeved jersey. :-) 

I used to be afraid to clip in - afraid of getting stuck and falling over. Nearly four years ago I started with Shimano SPD with the easier release cleats until it became second nature. Now it feels strange for me to be on flat pedals. Occasionally I like to wear boots or regular shoes when I go out so I have half-half pedals on my Volpe.

I like clipping-in because there is more control, more power on uphills with the pull-up on the pedals, and I feel more connected with my bike. Flat pedals are great for casual rides around town or slower rides where I may need to stop more often. There's also the option of toe-cages but I find clipping in a little easier and my feet won't move around as much as they would with toe cages. 

Thank you, Yasmeen, these pics are great!!

I've seen him, but no idea how to find him. I'm currently riding in this jersey. Got 2 compliments at lunch today, one from a sheriff.

Attachments:

Ebay, of course. There are a ton of used cycling jerseys for sale there at reasonable prices.

Attachments:

nice! thanks for the fashion tip and pic

love it, Gary!!  Do you have a photo of yourself in the 3 Stooges jersey? Would love to feature in the story

I can take one tomorrow. I've only had my new $8 jersey for 2 days. :)

This is my fall outfit- going out at lunch today.

Attachments:

I got one of those years ago - great conversation starter. ;)

I'm reasonably certain I know who it is.  Let me confirm and see if he wants to be identified...

Hi Brendan, I have already interviewed him and he is okay with being featured. Got his name through another high wheeler through Julie Keating. Thanks to everyone for your help!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service