The Chainlink

What's your funniest ever moment while riding a bike? Was it local or while traveling?

Mine was several years ago on a visit to Savannah, GA. I was riding on one of the main streets in downtown Savannah and was waiting at a red light, wearing my Tour de Stooges jersey. (Yes, I'm a Three Stooges fan.) As I waited, I heard "nyuk nyuk nyuk" from my left. I turned and saw a guy sitting in a pickup truck left to me, laughing a bit. I responded "woooo woooo woooo wooo." He laughed again. I laughed. The light changed. We both went on our way with a smile.

BTW, I thought Savannah was a great place to ride. They do have some bike events there (like this century). They also have a good network of bike lanes and signed bike routes, and drivers were generally reasonable.

Views: 129

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hell yeah, pirate drunk....
Years ago, I was riding along the lake. Not quite on the path, but near it. I was by the bird sanctuary just east of the totem pole. I tried to jump a curb. I misjudged the whole affair by just a wee little bit, but it was enough to send me over my handle bars and crashing face-first into the gravel. My bike got tangled up with my legs, and bike and I went crashing ass over teakettle. As I was groggily staggering to my feet, I could hear howls of laughter, and derisive comments from a couble of guys wearing ties, who happened to be not far off. I picked gravel out of my wounded elbow, put my chain back on, found my glasses then put them on. and dripping just a little blood, I shakily got back on my bike and samefaced, peadled away in a direction that would not take me near the still laughing guys in suits.

I have since gotten somewhat better at the art of jumping a curb however.

But we all need lessons like this to remind us of how cool we arent from time to time.
Clearly the guys in suits were d'bags. I love to laugh at other people's misfortune as much as the next guy, but not when they're bleeding. I mean, jeez. ;)

Reddog said:
Years ago, I was riding along the lake. Not quite on the path, but near it. I was by the bird sanctuary just east of the totem pole. I tried to jump a curb. I misjudged the whole affair by just a wee little bit, but it was enough to send me over my handle bars and crashing face-first into the gravel. My bike got tangled up with my legs, and bike and I went crashing ass over teakettle. As I was groggily staggering to my feet, I could hear howls of laughter, and derisive comments from a couble of guys wearing ties, who happened to be not far off. I picked gravel out of my wounded elbow, put my chain back on, found my glasses then put them on. and dripping just a little blood, I shakily got back on my bike and samefaced, peadled away in a direction that would not take me near the still laughing guys in suits.

I have since gotten somewhat better at the art of jumping a curb however.

But we all need lessons like this to remind us of how cool we arent from time to time.
I was messing with my new bikes quick release tires, and didn't fasten them all the way. I was heading up a curb and tried to hop up onto the curb only to have the front wheel fall off my fork.
About 10 years ago I was riding some sweet single track out in North Carolina. I had riding this trail many times in the past and knew it pretty well. Any way, there had been a big thunder storm earlier in the week...
So there I am flying down the trail at top speed, I come upon a blind sharp left turn, I brake and lean into the turn when WHAM!!! I hit a low lying tree branch full on in the face. Knocked me out silly. I was awaken an hour later by another rider who came across my bloody body blocking the trail. He told me he thought for sure I was dead.
A friend of mine had an unexpected launch on the lakefront path a few years ago. He was riding on a relatively open section of path and suddenly a dog on a too-long leash darted in front of him, stretching the leash across the trail. Bike wheel stopped by leash = quick unintended braking = endo. Funny visual. The aftereffects of the landing weren't quite as funny, but not nasty enough to prevent my friend from jumping up and giving the twit on the other end of the leash a serious earful. He can do a fine job of that when he's motivated.
Went shopping at Macy's with my right pant leg rolled up and a guy stopped to ask me if I was sporting some sort of gang sign. All I could do was laugh.
Wow, good thing he saw you in time, and didn't fall over you and then into the tree himself. The bodies could have really started piling up!

Chuck a Muck said:
About 10 years ago I was riding some sweet single track out in North Carolina. I had riding this trail many times in the past and knew it pretty well. Any way, there had been a big thunder storm earlier in the week...
So there I am flying down the trail at top speed, I come upon a blind sharp left turn, I brake and lean into the turn when WHAM!!! I hit a low lying tree branch full on in the face. Knocked me out silly. I was awaken an hour later by another rider who came across my bloody body blocking the trail. He told me he thought for sure I was dead.
Nice! When I lived in Austin I was heading to band practice and apparently blew through a 4-way stop sign(ahhh...my "car" days); the cops pulled me over and wanted to know if the darker-colored patch on my hands--a result of a tan from where my cycling gloves didn't fully cover the top of the hand--was some sort of gang sign. I wished I could have laughed in her face, but I just sheepishly replied "no, it's from my biking gloves...."

LeslieB said:
Went shopping at Macy's with my right pant leg rolled up and a guy stopped to ask me if I was sporting some sort of gang sign. All I could do was laugh.
I had a similar experience a few weeks ago coming off the Lakefront Trail.

I was turning onto Kenmore from Ardmore, and there was a guy walking across Ardmore with his dog when I was making a blind turn (nice park job!). I was between the guy and the dog. Thankfully I wasn't going too fast, and he had the presence of mind to drop the leash.

No injuries to man or animal but a bit embarrassing.

Anne Alt said:
A friend of mine had an unexpected launch on the lakefront path a few years ago. He was riding on a relatively open section of path and suddenly a dog on a too-long leash darted in front of him, stretching the leash across the trail. Bike wheel stopped by leash = quick unintended braking = endo. Funny visual. The aftereffects of the landing weren't quite as funny, but not nasty enough to prevent my friend from jumping up and giving the twit on the other end of the leash a serious earful. He can do a fine job of that when he's motivated.
After the world naked bike ride, I was caught trying to pull out of the afterparty and riding home, still naked. Not realizing that I would be going down Ashland by myself, pirate drunk and naked. I only went a few feet before my friends stopped me.

oops.
I was in total bike zen on a perfect day, with the cars in a traffic jam and a wide open bike lane in front of me on a beautiful day (remember those?!?!) and then BBWWWWAAAAAA....

Some idiot stuck a megaphone out of a car window and hit the siren as they passed me!! It startled my butt right up off the saddle!

I turned to a nearby pedestrian and said, "Watch me catch up with him!!"

Not too tough at all - Milwaukee northbound rush hour approaching North Ave - duh!

As I cruised by, his window was still open. I stood up on my pedals and ffff-THWACK - I spit my gum - swear I saw it hit the side of his face and then fall into his lap!!

I sat back on my saddle as I continued to blaze passed the stuck cars and pumped my fists into the air with triumph.

Now, I always pop a piece of gum in my mouth before any possibly 'tough' ride.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service