The Chainlink

Glen Hansard and Lisa Hannigan June 10!   YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!

More:

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20130402/downtown/millennium-parks-d...

Views: 878

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Something I cam across last night:

Glen, Lisa, and Hothouse Flowers frontman Liam O (three of the best voices on the planet IMO) set up and play in the street for charity.

I saw Glen with Lisa opening at The Vic last year and it was one of the best concerts I've ever attended.

Thanks for posting this H.

Saw Sharon Van Etten open up for Nick Cave last night. She left us wanting more, so I'm glad to hear about her show at Millennium Park.

The Handsome Family are amazing. If you are into super weird old time country (think Louvin Brothers on acid) you should attend this show. Their lyrics are astonishing, the music, superb. Bring a flask and sever your attachments to life as you knew it. Still on the fence? Listen to "Weightless Again" at SoundCloud.

The jazz lineup has also been announced.  Lots of good stuff for free. It reminds me of my cousin's observation when we saw Yes at the Taste of Chicago a few years ago.  He stood up, surveyed the scene and exclaimed, "my favorite band at my favorite price."

Dee Alexander’s “Funkin’ with Acoustic Soul: Tribute to James Brown and Jimi Hendrix,” July 25.

Victor Garcia’s “Crossing Borders,” Aug. 1.

Jeff Parker-Nels Cline Quartet: “The Turning Point,” Aug. 8.

Dana Hall: “The Andrew Hill Project,” with Black Fire, Aug. 15.

“Tale of the Tiger”: Sabertooth Organ Quartet and Cameron Pfiffner’s Marco Polo, Aug. 22.

Jack DeJohnette: “Special Legends Edition – Chicago,” with Muhal Richard Abrams, Larry Gray, Roscoe Mitchell and Henry Threadgill, doubling as opening night of the Chicago Jazz Festival

That is so fantastic!!! I hadn't seen it! Thanks for posting and reminding me of my Gaelophile tendencies...

h' 1.0 said:

Something I cam across last night:

Glen, Lisa, and Hothouse Flowers frontman Liam O (three of the best voices on the planet IMO) set up and play in the street for charity.

I saw Glen with Lisa opening at The Vic last year and it was one of the best concerts I've ever attended.

Ooh! Now that sounds good.

David Barish said:

The jazz lineup has also been announced.  Lots of good stuff for free. It reminds me of my cousin's observation when we saw Yes at the Taste of Chicago a few years ago.  He stood up, surveyed the scene and exclaimed, "my favorite band at my favorite price."

Dee Alexander’s “Funkin’ with Acoustic Soul: Tribute to James Brown and Jimi Hendrix,” July 25.

Victor Garcia’s “Crossing Borders,” Aug. 1.

Jeff Parker-Nels Cline Quartet: “The Turning Point,” Aug. 8.

Dana Hall: “The Andrew Hill Project,” with Black Fire, Aug. 15.

“Tale of the Tiger”: Sabertooth Organ Quartet and Cameron Pfiffner’s Marco Polo, Aug. 22.

Jack DeJohnette: “Special Legends Edition – Chicago,” with Muhal Richard Abrams, Larry Gray, Roscoe Mitchell and Henry Threadgill, doubling as opening night of the Chicago Jazz Festival

Wow, free!

Hansard is one of the few folks I actually paid to buy his stuff on CD in the last decade.  Free in concert?  I think, maybe, sorta, perhaps, almost, proximately, virtually, I could loosely like this. 

I didn't know him and had no expectations when he played Millenium two years ago (opened for "Low.")  Someone had lent me "Once" but I couldn't get through it and hadn't made the connection that the actors were actually the musical performers....

I was an instant devotee. He had the entire venue in the palm of his hand from the moment he walked on the stage.

I think playing for free is really where his heart is at (although I much prefer the much longer set in a paid venue.) I wasn't there but apparently he played Ravinia maybe 3 years ago-- he invited the lawn crowd into the Pavillion at some point in the show.  When I saw him at the Vic last year he mentioned he'll never be invited back to Ravinia and the gal next to me told me the story.

James BlackHeron said:

Wow, free!

Hansard is one of the few folks I actually paid to buy his stuff on CD in the last decade.  Free in concert?  I think, maybe, sorta, perhaps, almost, proximately, virtually, I could loosely like this. 

By the way-- I love Glen Hansard....

Can you add anything to this story? How was that connection made? All I can find is a comment on another Youtube vid that the song was written for Ezra.

Crafty Cycling Chick said:

Glen wrote a song for Ezrahttp://vimeo.com/60364015

Thanks for the additional details!

I got to chat with him at the Hideout block party last year.

He came out and mingled for quite a while.

He gives you the feeling that no matter how inane the small talk, he'd remember it if he met you again a year later.

The high point of the show at The Vic (for me) was when a 12 year old from Schaumburg was invited up on stage to play a few songs with him.  The kid somehow became a Glen Hansard freak....

The kid had put a video up of him playing and "trying to get Glenn's attention"-- someone passed it along to Glenn's manager.

Love love love when Glenn completely realizes the kid's got it and puts his guitar in the stand.

Glen spent quite a bit of time talking to Fredo's family at the Hideout.

What?! H' and James agree on something? Hallelujah, Mr. Hansard. Reason for a Chainlink picnic right there. 

James BlackHeron said:

Wow, free!

Until James went off his meds this past weekend and started relating to me and others he's met face-to-face as "little characters inside the internet" I thought we agreed on pretty much everything.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service