The Chainlink

Traffic 'round these parts dropped off pretty dramatically a few weeks ago... hard to tell from the "I rode today" thread who's still riding, as one would have to conclude that Gene is the only one out there most days by reading it....

Who's sticking it out and plans to continue to ride pretty much every day regardless of weather?

(Was winter 2013;   2014 starts on p. 36;   2015 starts on p. 61)

Views: 18770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My subjective experience of 2 is not appreciably different than my subjective experience of 12. They both feel cold, but neither is intolerable.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Forecast for low Monday night is 2--count 'em, 2--degrees and wind WNW at 18 mph.  Who plans to ride Tuesday morning?  I don't know yet. ;-)

I concur with Mr. 4.1 mi.

Anything below 15 and above unsafe (whatever that maybe) is just plain COLD... With the right amount of clothing, it's bearable.

Kevin C 4.1 mi said:

My subjective experience of 2 is not appreciably different than my subjective experience of 12. They both feel cold, but neither is intolerable.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Forecast for low Monday night is 2--count 'em, 2--degrees and wind WNW at 18 mph.  Who plans to ride Tuesday morning?  I don't know yet. ;-)

I have the same subjective experience.  My layering does not change appreciably between 0 and 15 for my commute rides.  I'm typically only on the road for about 35 minutes, and riding, so I don't get that cold.

Now, if the ride is longer (say over an hour), then I start worrying about my feet.  And my nose.  But everything else stays pretty toasty.

Much worse is just standing around in the cold.  Standing around in temps like that makes me think about taking up smoking again.

Kevin C 4.1 mi said:

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

I will.  More concerned about the 18 mph headwind than the temp, per se.  Definitely a day for the wind pants, neoprene face mask, and an extra layer of wool.

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

I was toasty this morning!

Chicago Bike Winter Blog....

http://bikewinter.org/node/353

My commute, as the handle says, is in the neighborhood of 13-17 miles depending on the route. If its above 20 its never a problem. If its 10-20 Its ok to ride with my best preparation. However,  feet will get cold and hands will get cold in the two minutes it takes to lock up.  If its below 10 feet and face become a problem regardless of what I do.  I will ride but I might bail. With proper gear everything but the feet can be warm enough for as cold as it can get. However, in order to keep the face protected I have to wear glasses and defrosting becomes an issue. Its ok when moving but stopping leads to an immediate facefog.

@122782...

"Me!  The cold won't stop me.  It's just ice that scares me."

If you have studded tires, scratch the fear of ice.  :-)

Steve

I concur with my fellow Evanston commuter, Mr. 13.9, (above) in every respect.

Gadzooks, this morning traveling south was dreadful.  I ended up pulling 3 fellow cyclists to work down Clark street from about Foster.  My only real problem was that my eyes never stopped watering.

I would not call it dreadful, but I felt "slowed down" by the wind in certain places.  I am very glad I got goggles--they really help with the wind in the face.

The 2 degrees does not bother me.  I know I have a couple more layers to break out that would keep me warm and those goggles and a scarf on my lower face are great.  It is the wind.  Skilling's forecast is for "wind chill" of -5 to -25.  That I am not sure about.

Steve Courtright said:

Gadzooks, this morning traveling south was dreadful.  I ended up pulling 3 fellow cyclists to work down Clark street from about Foster.  My only real problem was that my eyes never stopped watering.

Have you tried ski goggles?  They'd probably solve your watering eye problem.

Steve Courtright said:

Use caution on southbound State from Washington to Madison.  There's a new utility project there and LOTS of steel plates.

That would be a good idea. Not sure If I want to bother but I might consider...

Anne Alt 2-10 said:

Have you tried ski goggles?  They'd probably solve your watering eye problem.

Steve Courtright said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service