The Chainlink

Traffic 'round these parts dropped off pretty dramatically a few weeks ago... hard to tell from the "I rode today" thread who's still riding, as one would have to conclude that Gene is the only one out there most days by reading it....

Who's sticking it out and plans to continue to ride pretty much every day regardless of weather?

(Was winter 2013;   2014 starts on p. 36;   2015 starts on p. 61)

Views: 18770

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Will you have them on the bike for the Amlings Ride?  I will look for you and your bike.

Donna Nitz said:

Lisa.
When i ordered my bar mitts they had me email a pic of my unusual handlebars and were offering a complete refund if it didn't work well for me. Of course i love them! Worth every penny
:)

Great idea! I should have thought of that :)
I think we rode together on one of Lee's architecture tours.
i am thinking of riding my beach cruiser Friday since we ride slowly.

Lisa Curcio said:

Will you have them on the bike for the Amlings Ride?  I will look for you and your bike.

Donna Nitz said:

Lisa.
When i ordered my bar mitts they had me email a pic of my unusual handlebars and were offering a complete refund if it didn't work well for me. Of course i love them! Worth every penny
:)

I guess this is my 7th or 8th.  I commute "backwards" (work at O'Hare), and see a few more folks out here every season. 

Took a ride with a friend up to the north shore, and there were lots of roadies out on Sheridan. People everywhere; get it while the gettin's good!

Here's another vote for studded tires. I've been cycle-commuting for over 10 years ("Multi-Modal"... folding bike and METRA), and haven't fallen a single time since I started using studs about 6 winters ago. I have Schwalbe "Marathon Winter" tires on my folder and (for recreational rides) Nokian "Extreme 294" tires on my mountain bike. These tires are not inexpensive, but what is the insurance co-pay on a broken hip? ;-)

So fat this winter, the studs have not been particularly helpful. I put them on in early December and usually switch to regular tires in mid-March. On try pavement they are somewhat noisy, and they use a bit more energy to push. When there's snow or ice (!) on the streets, you have better traction than the cars.

When it has been cold enough long enough to ensure adequate ice thickness, riding on a frozen lake is a fantastic experience.

Steve

We got ours at our local LBS Boulevard Bikes on kedzie but they did need to order them in the proper size for our cargo bike.

Lots of places to get them online.  Not a bad way to go, since most shops would have to special-order.

I got my Schwalbe tires from Thor USA and the Nokians from Peter White Cycles.

Don't know how common they are in Chicago, but I've only heard a couple people with them in the last few years. I say "heard" because they sound like bacon sizzling on the street unless there's snow to muffle them. ;-)

Steve

Chi Lowe 20.0 - 30.0 mi said:

Having already taken a hard fall, I have to ask: where did you you buy your Marathons?  Does anyone know if they are rare or common at Chicago-based LBS'?

Heh... of course, I meant "so FAR this winter".  ;-)

Steve

Steve Weeks, DDS said:

So fat this winter, the studs have not been particularly helpful.

Today is the first day of the year where studded tires would make sense.... and mine are sitting off the bike with a cassette from a different bike, waiting to be swapped.

Gonna do my best to walk to the bus....

I can't imagine riding on these things one minute more than necessary. I think riding every day on studded tires has to be the very definition of masochism...

Crap, I took a spill walking my bike down the steps this morning. I did still ride to work though.

The only days I chicken out are when it gets so slippery that cars are fishtailing -- pretty hard to avoid those guys.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service