The Chainlink

Traffic 'round these parts dropped off pretty dramatically a few weeks ago... hard to tell from the "I rode today" thread who's still riding, as one would have to conclude that Gene is the only one out there most days by reading it....

Who's sticking it out and plans to continue to ride pretty much every day regardless of weather?

(Was winter 2013;   2014 starts on p. 36;   2015 starts on p. 61)

Views: 18448

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lake Front Trail is plowed.
Further update: Lake Front Trail is plowed and salted from Roscoe to Oak/Michigan (probably more, but that's the only area I ride on). The area near Fullerton is closed and the bypass is slippery. The Roscoe/Aldine underpass was plowed and salted, but the Oak Street underpass was a mess — no plowing at all. I walked my bike though that one. Wells Street bike lane is good except for a couple messy spots. No ice, just slush. Dearborn bridge is okay, but the entry point at Kinzie is a puddle and the rest of the lane is messy. Looks like it was plowed, but there's a few puddles and slushy spots — likely from people dumping snow from the sidewalk. The Goodman Theatre seems to remember their lesson from last year — the area in front of their building was clear.

I came down Leavitt from the Western Avenue METRA station to UIC. Parts of the street had snow that was packed down by trucks; this was difficult to ride over as the small wheels of my folder would "punch through" at random times. I had to dab a foot here and there over a couple blocks. Once I got south of Lake Street it was pretty easy. I think some car drivers were puzzled to see me accelerating normally and following a straight line through slushy layers on the street. :-)

Steve

I admit to woosing out this morning.  My bags were packed, my clothes were ready, but I looked out and saw that my street was full of snow, which means my alley was worse, and I just said--"Metra is so convenient..."

I ride almost everyday although I rode my bicycle more last year. I used to live 5 blocks from the train now I'm less than 1 blocks. Temptation. Oh well. I went down Milwaukee a couple miles. It's not too bad but I really have a low tolerance for cycling in any sort of snow/slush. Took the lane for a bit since I prefer clear lanes. The streets were pretty empty. I left late today. Maybe if I'd seen another cyclist on my route I would have kept on...but, my brakes weren't happy and I just wasn't feeling confident about the slush today. Put my bike on the train. Haven't decided yet if I'm going to bike home. Generally feeling good about my decision to train it. I  guess. :/

Thanks for the update I was wondering about the LFP today. 

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Further update: Lake Front Trail is plowed and salted from Roscoe to Oak/Michigan (probably more, but that's the only area I ride on). The area near Fullerton is closed and the bypass is slippery. The Roscoe/Aldine underpass was plowed and salted, but the Oak Street underpass was a mess — no plowing at all. I walked my bike though that one. Wells Street bike lane is good except for a couple messy spots. No ice, just slush. Dearborn bridge is okay, but the entry point at Kinzie is a puddle and the rest of the lane is messy. Looks like it was plowed, but there's a few puddles and slushy spots — likely from people dumping snow from the sidewalk. The Goodman Theatre seems to remember their lesson from last year — the area in front of their building was clear.

Took Divvy this morning.  Started with my bike, but thought I'd save it from the salty slop out there.  Slow ride, but thanks to the fenders, I arrived with minimal slop on my shoes and pants.

The bike/bus lane was pretty messy in several spots on Clark, but I was able to plow through with no slippage (except once on a manhole cover).  Only really encountered ice on Dearborn near the HOB driveway.

Had to try a couple docks at the Divvy station.  Lot of snow got pushed in there during shoveling (Chase Plaza)

great start to the Real biking season!!!

did a snowy ride today
and a 14 degree lakefront ride
even took the chopper bike out
full disclosure?
fell once.... okay twice but the second was next to the bike.... walking... in a metra car.... two serious injuries.... spilled pbr and mashed/road rashed knee)

it is wonderful to have that wilderness
feel back to the lakefront

still..
for the record?
tell everyone you know that asks
how it
is terrible to bike winter!
(tee hee!)

I did 8 miles on the cargo bike this morning to take my daughter to art class, pretty cold riding northwest but the main streets were pretty clean (Elston, Sacramento and Milwaukee).  I wear a reflective vest and had the lights on for a dramatic effect.

I only saw 2 other bikes on the way in this morning. The temperature, though quite low, was nothing to the wind out of the South. Yiiikes!

Steve

How's the lakefront path heading south from downtown? I'll need to head to Hyde Park from Logan Square on Thursday and want to have my route prepared.
And for those heading north, the trail along the sculpture park and McCormick thru Skokie/Evanston was clear as of 6pm last night.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service