The Chainlink

Why do bus drivers see us in the bus stop and pull in at high speeds trying to pass us just as we start passing thru the bus stop

Several times I have been riding down the street to look over my shoulder and a CTA speeding up to try and pass me when I am a few inches from the bus stop they can force me off the road way.One time I was riding down Clark street right after Howard moving at a good rate of speed with a friend from work who wasnt as experienced as I am on the streets Good thing I looked to my left as I heard the busers transmission shift gears in the middle of the block as I came up to the bus stop the next thing I knew I was being forced to the curb.I was so close to the curb after stopping that I could not move to confront the bus driver of her action.The next block traffic was moving very slow so I took this oppertunity to tell the bus that,the bus out weighs me buy long shot and If I was not paying attention she would have ran me over.She simply told me stay out of the way and get out of the way.I could have sworn that there was a law passed that would ticket people for cutting off , opening cars doors other bad things of that nature to bicyclist.This is the reason that cop kicked that CTA bus drivers ass.He did the very same act to him cut him off in the bus stop.So we need law enforcement to step it up on CTA drivers as well.The cops I contacted sayed sayed if she didnt make contact with me there was nothing that they could do.B.S.I guess the next time I will be a Free Spirit.

Views: 558

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I seen the riders who give us a bad rap and i agree we all have to be carefull because the bus has blind spots.But when a bus driver speed up to catch you and force you to the curb intentionally,Thats just plain wrong and it happenens everyday.I hope this dicussion make to some one that care to do something about these dangerous acts agaisnt bicyclist.All we want to do is get where we are going with out getting hurt by motorist.For those cyclist that have a death wish.If your out there stunting get paid for it  not killed for it .  

alvin mitchell said:

H3N3 said:
I've sent messages like Jen's and had good (well, reasonably convincing) follow-up; with the exception that I see these things from within the bus and can provide much more precise information; that said this really depends a lot on the individual bus driver-- wondering how often Alvin rides the bus and sees it from the driver's perspective. It's pretty scary to see from the bus how riders seem to have no consideration for other users sometimes, and will ride happily along the right side of a bus as it approaches a stop, ride into the stop zone just as the bus is about to enter . . .. the #21 driver I had on the way back east from Riverside Sunday night encountered such a cyclist and not only behaved in an exemplary manner, but I heard her arguing understanding and tolerance to a passenger who made a negative comment about the cyclist.

I am scratching my head a bit at the role of law enforcement-- how would you get the police involved, and what would Chicago Police in particular do in response to a complaint that a bus driver "almost killed me?"

Alvin, can you give a little more detail about the police help you received?

h333 said:
I've sent messages like Jen's and had good (well, reasonably convincing) follow-up; with the exception that I see these things from within the bus and can provide much more precise information; that said this really depends a lot on the individual bus driver-- wondering how often Alvin rides the bus and sees it from the driver's perspective. It's pretty scary to see from the bus how riders seem to have no consideration for other users sometimes, and will ride happily along the right side of a bus as it approaches a stop, ride into the stop zone just as the bus is about to enter . . .. the #21 driver I had on the way back east from Riverside Sunday night encountered such a cyclist and not only behaved in an exemplary manner, but I heard her arguing understanding and tolerance to a passenger who made a negative comment about the cyclist.

I am scratching my head a bit at the role of law enforcement-- how would you get the police involved, and what would Chicago Police in particular do in response to a complaint that a bus driver "almost killed me?"

Alvin, can you give a little more detail about the police help you received?
I do ride the bus in the winter and when theres bad weathers.There is no reason to speed up to a person on a bike and cut them off in a vehicle that weighs a a few tons more what if the brakes gave out as that bus  speeded up a ran an innocent bicycle rider over.I dont who the hell gave you permission to be an butt head and ask such an a hole question off me.Use common sence before you ask another dum a__ question like that idoit .  
Is that in response to my post from December 10?

alvin mitchell said:
I do ride the bus in the winter and when theres bad weathers.There is no reason to speed up to a person on a bike and cut them off in a vehicle that weighs a a few tons more what if the brakes gave out as that bus  speeded up a ran an innocent bicycle rider over.I dont who the hell gave you permission to be an butt head and ask such an a hole question off me.Use common sence before you ask another dum a__ question like that idoit .  

alvin mitchell said:
I do ride the bus
I've usually gotten good follow-up when I've sent letters like this.  Over the years, I've seen a decrease in the number of incidents like this and gotten more cooperation from CTA bus drivers.  Keep on writing.

Jennifer Mach said:
I have emailed the CTA before to complement drivers who were particularly bike-friendly, but today I sent in this complaint:

At 10:15 today (June 15th), I was riding my bike along Milwaukee. At Milwaukee and Western, the #56 bus, bus driver #45516, pulled alongside me and then moved to the right, effectively crushing me to the curb. I yelled to the driver that "crushing me to the curb is not cool." Since the bus was stopped, I moved ahead. The driver performed the same maneuver at Milwaukee and Armitage. After that, I moved ahead again and, being faster than the bus, immediately lost the bus.
This bus driver would have lost no time by pulling behind me. Her actions were pre-meditated, aggressive, and dangerous. I hope that the CTA management can remedy this situation before her dangerous driving injures or kills someone.
I know that there are a lot of annoying, stupid bicyclists along Milwaukee Avenue. However, I was careful to stay behind the bus until I had a good shot at passing. I wish the driver had accorded me the same courtesy.

Doubt it will help.

Jen

Maybe it is because some bus drivers and cars do not expect a bike to be moving along as fast as some ride.

notoriousDUG said:
They do it because they are angry, frustrated morons.

Buses are, in my opinion, the biggest danger out on the road be you a bike, car or pedestrian.

It's a crap shoot some drivers are good, give you the 2 tap honk to let you know they're passing some sit behind and honk or repeatedly tap the air brakes.

Instead of getting angry and banging on a car, bus I just ride up to the drivers window if I can and tap on it.

We can always start f'ing with them like waiting at a stop, pulling the rack down, fumbling then not put the bike on and leave the rack down.

"We can always start f'ing with them like waiting at a stop, pulling the rack down, fumbling then not put the bike on and leave the rack down."

...so that the CTA can be perfectly justified in removing all the bike bus racks?

That how I like to handle it, too.  I give them a bit of courtesy, and usually get it in return.  If they catch up with me again, I let them pass, and they stay clear.

I agree that there's no excuse for deliberately endangering someone, especially doing it over and over again.

Jeff Schneider said:

I almost never ride through a bus stop.  Instead, when I approach a bus stop, I go left and take the lane, leaving the bus stop open for the bus.  Bus drivers seem to appreciate that I am trying to make life easy for them.  Doing this is really just the same as keeping out of the right lane at a red light unless you are making a right turn - it allows traffic on the right to move while you are stopped.  

That said, regardless of the behavior or riding technique of the cyclist (and some cyclists are pretty inconsiderate), there is no excuse for a bus driver to intentionally put anyone in danger.

Exactly.  Not the best idea.

Thunder Snow said:

"We can always start f'ing with them like waiting at a stop, pulling the rack down, fumbling then not put the bike on and leave the rack down."

...so that the CTA can be perfectly justified in removing all the bike bus racks?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service