The Chainlink

What Tools Do You Carry for Bike Repair When You Ride? * * * (Update)* * *

A while back a fellow cyclist stopped me to ask if I had some tools(I had my bag on the bike)so he could adjust things on his road bike. Seat tightening & etc. He carried NO tools at all ! No backpack, nothing. He became a bit unhappy because I could not totally help him with the tools I had. He 'thanked' me, and then moved on. So, basically, what tools and supplies should a cyclist ALWAYS carry ?

Support your CL community. Become a contributor. Post a discussion. Reply. Lurking is just no fun. Come along for the ride !

Views: 2787

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It really depends. As a commuter in Chicago, I never carry tools. My Ventra card always gets me home.

Commuting in Chicago I always have:

- Tyre levers

- Spare tube and patches

- Multi-tool (hex keys etc.)

- Chain-breaker (coincidentally my chain broke the day after I added this to my kit)

- Small adjustable spanner

This: http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-MT-1-Rescue-Wrench/dp/B000OZ9WTQ/re...

2 tubes (in case I have another flat on the way home)

a pump.

2 tire levers

You can zip tie or rubber band it all together.  If I am going on a longer ride I bring a patch kit and a phillips.  If my chain breaks?  My ride is over.

If you have a long commute, its a lot quicker to have an allen key and tighten your headset or brakes then taking the bus.

For me, reusability trumps weight and speed at which I can change a tire. 

rwein5 said:

I'm amazed that anyone still uses a hand pump for on-the-go air needs anymore.

They are so vastly inferior to CO2 cartridges on almost every metric, including size, max pressure, speed, etc etc etc.

All but the most important one ... being able to use it again and again. Can't run out of air. Going on long rides 50+ miles I'll bring 2 CO2's and my hand pump. 

For commuting I'll carry spare tube, patches, pump, and a few tools. But once it's cold enough out that I won't fix a flat outdoors I just leave it all at home. 

rwein5 said:

I'm amazed that anyone still uses a hand pump for on-the-go air needs anymore.

They are so vastly inferior to CO2 cartridges on almost every metric, including size, max pressure, speed, etc etc etc.

TOOLS!

Tire levers, two CO2 cartridges, inner tube, small adjustable wrench, four hex wrenches (doubles as screwdriver), small knife, zip ties, chain links, chain breaker, bottle opener, cork screw, pair of latex gloves AND a Ventra card. It all fits in a child's pencil/ marker case, weighs about 2 lbs.

CO2 is pretty effin handy, especially when it is below 20 degrees, above 90 degrees, raining, 

How often does your headset loosen in the middle of a commute?

Apie (10.6) said:

This: http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-MT-1-Rescue-Wrench/dp/B000OZ9WTQ/re...

2 tubes (in case I have another flat on the way home)

a pump.

2 tire levers

You can zip tie or rubber band it all together.  If I am going on a longer ride I bring a patch kit and a phillips.  If my chain breaks?  My ride is over.

If you have a long commute, its a lot quicker to have an allen key and tighten your headset or brakes then taking the bus.

Multi-tool (hex keys etc.) - ALWAYS. Small adjustments and tightening loose parts can solve many problems.

If I'm going out all day - add spare tube, patch kit, tire levers, hand pump, and transit cards/passes (Ventra, Metra). While the transit option isn't technically a "tool," it can be a helpful Plan B.

Depends on the bike and day...

Sometimes nothing.

-Simple multitool.

-Tube

-2 CO2

-Inflator

-2 tire levers

I've used zip ties, rubber bands or electrical tape for short-term emergency fixes.

Apie (10.6) said:

2 tire levers

Exactly the same kit over here. It's enough to fix anything I can predict, credit card and cell are usually enough to fix anything I cant.

Though, on the headset note, I once picked up my bike from a shop on my way to work and the headset was loose! Thankfully it was a quill stem and I happened to have an adjustable wrench with me too - because of my wheelset at the time. Called the shop and they talked me through tightening it up at Milwaukee/Elston during a morning rush!

notoriousDUG said:

-Simple multitool.

-Tube

-2 CO2

-Inflator

-2 tire levers

Agreed to all on the right kit for the ride. CTA is a little more sparse along Elston than other routes and so I think I've developed a more robust kit than others. For me the time to fix < extra time to get downtown by CTA. Weight savings are not a concern.

Kit:

Leatherman multitool (needle nose, blade, file, others)

Bike specific multitool (hex's, spoke wrenches, chain breaker)

Wrench for rear wheel axle nut

1 spare 700x32 tube,

1 spare 26x1.9 tube (switch bikes often, don't want to forget the right size)

patch kit

hand pump (presta & schrader)

zip ties, several in assorted sizes

small roll of duct tape

latex gloves

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service