The Chainlink

Please let me know if this is a duplicate thread and I'll close this one... a few recent experiences have left me thinking it would be good to keep a video log of my ride.

Who's got experience with these and what can you recommend?

Views: 2341

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

FYI this is back in stock. I had one in my cart last night and got distracted with other things I needed to get done... how 'bout everyone buys one and lets me know how it does?

h' 1.0 said:

Thanks. I signed up for notification when it's back in stock.  Would definitely want to read others' reviews before the $100 experiment.

Jenn_5.5 mi said:

For under a hundred bucks this might be worth 'playing' with... Only real down side is the only 3 hours of continuous recording. (But I don't know what the Go-Pro has or any other for that matter.) For a typical daily commute it is perfect, I was just thinking of having it for a long tour as well.

Stuart said:

After exhaustive research (which could be valid for about 3 months tops), someone found this: 

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10...

It is due out in March.  I have worked with MonoPrice before, they are very reliable, great return policy!!

The specs on the camera are really good.  I read a pre-release review which suggested the GoPro is a bit better, but it is twice the price.  I saw the video example and could not tell the difference between the two.

I have a small not waterproof video cam, for documenting the commute, which was ok.  I will probably move up to the MonoPrice, if reviews hold up.

That test rig is truly geektacular.  ;)

Thunder Snow said:

Mountain Bike Review, who already does the best bike light comparison reviews, IMHO, just put up this "shoot out" back-to-back comparison of six current helmet cams.  The review is dated March 13, so should be as current as anything out there.  I found it useful.  And their test rig is hilarious:

http://reviews.mtbr.com/pov-action-cam-shootout-camera-best/2

One low-hanging tree branch and he's toast.

Anne Alt said:

Naw, he needs side and rear facing cameras as well with a Google Glasses interface to aggregate the images into a 360 degree view. Now that would be way cool and very useful, too. All I have is a low tech rear view mirror attached to my helmet, which is very helpful, but its easily thrown out of alignment, especially in high winds. But for sure, nobody will ever get near this guy. He's perfectly safe, low hanging tree branches aside.

Thunder Snow said:

One low-hanging tree branch and he's toast.

Anne Alt said:

Funny, was just pondering....would one want to have the camera facing forward or toward the rear?

Or is it a "can't have just one" kind of thing....

Last time I pondered anything, I put on 5 lbs and suffered anxiety attacks. Better just to get back on your bike and start rolling. You'll feel better and look better, too. 

h' 1.0 said:

Funny, was just pondering....would one want to have the camera facing forward or toward the rear?

Or is it a "can't have just one" kind of thing....

Has anyone tried out the Monoprice action camera? It's only $100.

Woot's got a FreeStyle for $100 for the next couple days (or until sold out).
http://www.woot.com/offers/swann-freestyle-1080p-action-cam-30

The review is pretty negative:

We tested this. It doesn't actually help you get any action.

Sue Clark said:

Woot's got a FreeStyle for $100 for the next couple days (or until sold out).
http://www.woot.com/offers/swann-freestyle-1080p-action-cam-30

I am looking for one that can mount on a Picatinney rail system (Mil Std 1913).

I have them on the side of my helmet.

Respectfully,

Manny

Dash Cam review on Jalopnik

Looks like a good option if you can mount it

records in a loop, motion activated start/stop, cheap...

Thanks, other Gabe! I was afraid "mid priced" was going to mean another $100 contender, but $40-$60 for something this functional is not too shabby...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service