The Chainlink

Folks,

As a reference for the Chicago city guide I'm working on, and for future articles, which bike shops in the city of Chicago are owned or co-owned by women? If it's a husband-and-wife team, the wife should have an active role in running the shop.

Here's what I came up with:

Uptown Bikes

Blue City Cycles

Rapid Transit Cycle Shop

Roscoe Village Bikes

Am I missing any? For example, is there actually a Carmen at Carmen's?

I'd also be interested to hear about any woman-owned shops in the 'burbs. I believe the Zion Schwinn Cyclery is run by a husband-and-wife team.

Thanks!

John Greenfield

Views: 868

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi  this is Joanne McSweeney

I am the majority owner of On The Route Bicycles. My partner is Denis Smith. We own and operate 3 stores in Chicago, South Loop/Downtown, Lakeview and Lincoln Square.Just to let you know I lead weekly womens only rides on Wednesday at 6:15pm from our 1118 S Michigan Avenue location from May thru October. ( road and hybrid rentals available) I also offer any female interested in a one on one ride for any reason (ie. scared to ride in streets, wants to be paced,a beginner, wants to ride and chat, bike the lakefront) to contact me at kuhla@aol.com or thru fb or our website www.ontheroute.com. I personal coach, participate and/or  the sponsor the Team Dreams Sisters Tri team, Chicagos Iquanas kids Tri team, Chicago Tri Club and help/liason build safe routes to school. We offer tons of women specific bikes and accessories. We have beautiful spacious dressing rooms with great mirrors. If our trademark wasnt "pump pedals not gas" it would be "girls rule boys drool."  (Thats a joke BTW. Our cycling male customers are fly.)

BFF Bikes, opening in March, is owned by two women. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service