The Chainlink

Anyone else notice some weird signs in the Dearborn PBL just south of Washington this morning? They say "Stop for Pedestrians" or something like that. They are sitting on the ground in the bike lane. I didn't stop to investigate closely, but I don't think there's even a curb cut there? It struck me as a bit strange. It was right by the Blue Line entrance/exit (on the west side of Dearborn obviously).

Anyone know if this is a CDOT initiative?

Views: 4422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just sent an email to an Active Trans employee. 

I didn't necessarily mean subsidized monetarily. It is subsidized in that we are all expected to cooperate with the interference they cause on the streets, to tolerate the valet drivers hurriedly driving to where-ever they do park, and to give up a chunk of the road in front of the establishment. The last part does not apply to suburban establishments with driveways and parking lots and all that. 

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Ok, I'll bite...

Why is valet parking subsidized by the rest of us?

Tony Adams 6.6 mi said:

What is the purpose of valet parking anyway? Its sole purpose is to isolate drivers from one of the inconveniences of driving (parking and walking more than 20 feet from a parking space/lot). Its effect is to make driving a more palatable option for rich people and like so many of the things that benefit the wealthy, its cost is subsidized by the rest of us. 

I also sent a message.

Valet parking serves the purpose of encouraging people to drive into the city from the suburbs or other parts of the city. It's a convenience for the few at the expense of everyone else. (Just like everything that encourages driving over public transport use).

It's also pretty expensive, and provides work for a lot of people that need it.  I'm not too worried about it because anyone using valet parking is also wealthy enough to be driving into town and parking in a garage and walking.  As long as they don't mess with bike lanes, of course.

What about…free valet?? *gasp!*

Free valet downtown?  I don't think I've ever seen it.  Most of them look like some kind of syndicated operation that provide service to restaurants, I would assume for a fee in addition to the rates charged to the people parking.

Not in the Loop nor River North for sure, but I've seen plenty of sandwich boards advertising free valet service in Lincoln Park and Lake View.

Tricolor said:

Free valet downtown?  I don't think I've ever seen it.  Most of them look like some kind of syndicated operation that provide service to restaurants, I would assume for a fee in addition to the rates charged to the people parking.

What about....bike valet?? :)

I reached out to CDOT, they responded by telling me that they will look into it.

Providing work for people is never a valid reason to justify harmful enterprises. Messing with bike lanes is exactly why we are discussing the valet issue(s) in this thread.

Tricolor said:

It's also pretty expensive, and provides work for a lot of people that need it.  I'm not too worried about it because anyone using valet parking is also wealthy enough to be driving into town and parking in a garage and walking.  As long as they don't mess with bike lanes, of course.

Hey Chainlinkers, we got the messages and are looking into this. We'll let you know what we find out.

Thanks,

Ethan Spotts, Active Trans

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service