The Chainlink

Anyone else notice some weird signs in the Dearborn PBL just south of Washington this morning? They say "Stop for Pedestrians" or something like that. They are sitting on the ground in the bike lane. I didn't stop to investigate closely, but I don't think there's even a curb cut there? It struck me as a bit strange. It was right by the Blue Line entrance/exit (on the west side of Dearborn obviously).

Anyone know if this is a CDOT initiative?

Views: 4422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A pedestrian has never been hit by a car in that block?  I don't see them filling trash cans with concrete and putting them out in the middle of the street with warning signs to motorists.

"Malicious" is a very subjective term...

Daniel G said:

I doubt it was malicious, it's just a mindnumbingly stupid and thoughtless thing to do.

I think it's about 1 1/2 blocks south of where you think it is.

I was there a little while ago and very disappointed to find no trace of the little signs.

William Beck said:

That's the restaurant just south of the Goodman.  Their valet parking is more important than bike riders -- or so they think.  I'm a Goodman season ticket holder and it un-nerves me every time I go to a show. 

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

Yeah, I saw them on my ride home. They were blocking the northbound lane, so I stopped and moved them onto the sidewalk. I then got yelled at by the doorman or valet and was told to "talk to the guy inside". He then proceeded to put the signs back into the middle of the lane.

So they were placed by some business along the bike lane. No idea who, though. The guy didn't tell me and I didn't have time to go inside and complain to the owner.

I went out of may this morning to go down Dearborn and look for signs to knock over and was disappointed.  On the other hand, most cyclists were following the traffic signals this morning so that was cool.  Even the ones on State Street north of the river.

What is the purpose of valet parking anyway? Its sole purpose is to isolate drivers from one of the inconveniences of driving (parking and walking more than 20 feet from a parking space/lot). Its effect is to make driving a more palatable option for rich people and like so many of the things that benefit the wealthy, its cost is subsidized by the rest of us. 

I think that we all have a civic duty to pick up and throw away major obstructions in Bike Lanes.  I know that when I have seen large rocks in the way, or boards, or other obstructions, I will often stop and move them out of the way.   If the signs come back, they should be picked up as refuse and thrown away several blocks away.

Ok, I'll bite...

Why is valet parking subsidized by the rest of us?

Tony Adams 6.6 mi said:

What is the purpose of valet parking anyway? Its sole purpose is to isolate drivers from one of the inconveniences of driving (parking and walking more than 20 feet from a parking space/lot). Its effect is to make driving a more palatable option for rich people and like so many of the things that benefit the wealthy, its cost is subsidized by the rest of us. 

That's what I tried to do, but got yelled at by the valet who then replaced the signs in the bike lane. At least I tried. :-)

David crZven 10.6 said:

I think that we all have a civic duty to pick up and throw away major obstructions in Bike Lanes.  I know that when I have seen large rocks in the way, or boards, or other obstructions, I will often stop and move them out of the way.   If the signs come back, they should be picked up as refuse and thrown away several blocks away.

Looks like a road hazard.

If I see these today on my way home, I am going to pick them up and carry them away and dump when I get home. My community garden is building a patio with bricks, maybe they can use them.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

That's what I tried to do, but got yelled at by the valet who then replaced the signs in the bike lane. At least I tried. :-)

David crZven 10.6 said:

Going vigilante and removing the blocks doesn't provide long term solution. Adam is right, private companies do not have the right to do this. Still, they probably want to find a solution to keep their customers safe when entering and leaving their establishment. (I would also like to see the proof that shows valet's are somehow subsidized.)

One alternative would be for a representative of the bicycling community, who is able to to be able to stay calm and cool to walk in there and talk to the manager. Ask why they are doing that. Inform them that it is not a legal solution. Brainstorm alternatives (like a sign for the pedestrians), and perhaps give them a contact at CDOT who can help them solve the problem. 

Sounds like the perfect job for Active Trans. Maybe we can all shoot them an email?

T.K. 6.5 mi said:

One alternative would be for a representative of the bicycling community, who is able to to be able to stay calm and cool to walk in there and talk to the manager. Ask why they are doing that. Inform them that it is not a legal solution. Brainstorm alternatives (like a sign for the pedestrians), and perhaps give them a contact at CDOT who can help them solve the problem. 

Has anyone just called 311 yet? Contacted CDOT?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service