The Chainlink

I just stumbled upon this article as I was searching out any recent media mentions of The Chainlink.

Here is an article from The Atlantic from May 17th:

Cyclists Aren't 'Special,' and They Shouldn't Play by Their Own Rules

Read the full article here

Views: 1343

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

ts;dw

Feel free to post a short summary of the relevant parts here. 

Haddon said:

Video is slow paced but somewhat relevant:

Wasn't this posted earlier?

Breaking news- Bikes are now considered a form of transportation.

I bet Henry Ford is turning over in his grave.

It is 'somewhat relevant' as the Dutch instituted a good system of bike lanes and other bike positive policies and this went on to dramatically boost the rate of cycling in the country.  Like wise Chicago is currently installing bike lanes across the city and passing anti-dooring laws in the hope of making the city a more hospitable place for bikers.  Chicago is also experiencing an increase in the number of biking commuters. 

There are parallels in the cities approaches to creating safe / safer environment for urban bike transportation. While I don't see chicago as being able to have the infrastructure to have the sorts of fully independent lanes that the Dutch have the city is certainly trying.  Given the article discussed both the growth of cycling as a mainstream activity and some of the policies by the City of Chicago to promote cycling I would call the video 'somewhat relevant'

To recap:

--Both Holland and Chicago have existed in a dominantly car-centric model

--Both Holland and Chicago have instituted bike friendly policies and bike lanes.

--Both Holland and Chicago have experienced a rise the number of individuals using bikes as a regular form of transportation.

--Holland has managed to integrate cycling into an urban setting and perhaps in the future Chicago might be able to do so as well.

A just spotted cross post of the city being proactive in making the city safer for bikes much as the Dutch have done and continue to do.

h

Zoetrope said:

ts;dw

Haddon said:

To recap: the Dutch ride bicycles. So do we. 

Thanks so much.

-Z

I want to believe as much as you do, but there are a few important differences between Holland and the USA:

-The Dutch don't have the perception that they have unlimited space and they can crap it up indefinitely and just find some more space when they run out (like Americans do.)

-The Dutch don't have an auto industry and haven't had the idea shoved down their throats that buying and owning cars is patriotic (like we have.)

-Like many Europeans, "love of country" means literally appreciating the physical beauty of their country, which makes the idea of a lifestyle change for the preservation of that beauty a much easier sell than in a country where "loving your country" is measured by how willing you are to go blow things up in other countries

-One country can boast the fattest, laziest citizenry on the planet. I won't say which because I don't want to offend anyone...

Haddon said:

It is 'somewhat relevant' as the Dutch instituted a good system of bike lanes and other bike positive policies and this went on to dramatically boost the rate of cycling in the country.  Like wise Chicago is currently installing bike lanes across the city and passing anti-dooring laws in the hope of making the city a more hospitable place for bikers.  Chicago is also experiencing an increase in the number of biking commuters. 

There are parallels in the cities approaches to creating safe / safer environment for urban bike transportation. While I don't see chicago as being able to have the infrastructure to have the sorts of fully independent lanes that the Dutch have the city is certainly trying.  Given the article discussed both the growth of cycling as a mainstream activity and some of the policies by the City of Chicago to promote cycling I would call the video 'somewhat relevant'

To recap:

--Both Holland and Chicago have instituted bike friendly policies and bike lanes.

--Both Holland and Chicago have experienced a rise the number of individuals using bikes as a regular form of transportation.

--Holland has managed to integrate cycling into an urban setting and perhaps in the future Chicago might be able to do so as well.

A just spotted cross post of the city being proactive in making the city safer for bikes much as the Dutch have done and continue to do.

h

Zoetrope said:

ts;dw

Haddon said:

I dunno, but I doubt it:

http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/henryford/

Mike Zumwalt said:

Wasn't this posted earlier?

Breaking news- Bikes are now considered a form of transportation.

I bet Henry Ford is turning over in his grave.

'Somewhat relevant'. 

When I write a PHd on the topic I'll be sure to over Dutch vs American land use, automotive industry development and marketing, philosophical appreciation of nature, patriotism of warfare and differing physicality levels  I apologize for not being able to cover all of this in a couple hundred word post about a short article and a short video.  Please forgive, given the request made I truly did the best I could.

h

h' 1.0 said:

I want to believe as much as you do, but there are a few important differences between Holland and the USA:

-The Dutch don't have the perception that they have unlimited space and they can crap it up indefinitely and just find some more space when they run out (like Americans do.)

-The Dutch don't have an auto industry and haven't had the idea shoved down their throats that buying and owning cars is patriotic (like we have.)

-Like many Europeans, "love of country" means literally appreciating the physical beauty of their country, which makes the idea of a lifestyle change for the preservation of that beauty a much easier sell than in a country where "loving your country" is measured by how willing you are to go blow things up in other countries

-One country can boast the fattest, laziest citizenry on the planet. I won't say which because I don't want to offend anyone...

Haddon said:

To recap:

h

Zoetrope said:

ts;dw

Haddon said:

Not much meat left on the bone here, fellas. I mean, you just know things are going south when Dutch bicycling rears it's head yet again. 

Would be interested in hearing anyone else's thoughts on the article.

love,

z

Plenty of meat on 'dem bones.  I will defend the link between the article and the 'somewhat relevant'-ness of the article and the video against all takers.

H/

its

Zoetrope said:

Not much meat left on the bone here, fellas. I mean, you just know things are going south when Dutch bicycling rears it's head yet again. 

love,

z

h', I like it, but if one were to correct grammar and spelling in the forums it could be a full-time job.  While I am at it, though, could everyone properly use "then" and "than"?  The mis-use drives me crazy.  Thank you.

h' 1.0 said:

its

Zoetrope said:

love,

z

I had a chance to re read the article and watch the video. I think they jive.  Dutch cycling is mainstream. There is a conflict on this board as to whether cycling is still an outside activity or whether it is meant to become a mainstream one. I think those who advocate the former dislike the article, the proposed ordinance here in Chicago and the attempts to mainstream cycling. That would mean a lot more stopping.  Those who advocate the latter are in favor.  I think this split is common amongst us here.  I am in the latter camp. Its probably because I am a mainstream old guy.  Its the same part of my internal makeup that bought a skid lid when I had to start paying student loans. I wanted to protect my investment. Although I actually ride faster than I did 30 years ago it takes me longer to get from point A to point B and that has a lot to do with how I approach riding in the city.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service