The Chainlink

On Friday afternoon someone cut through my U-lock with an angle grinder!

In the middle of the afternoon!!  

Right after I got done warning someone about locking up with a cable lock.  

BYE BYE bike #2 to Chicago bike thieves. Great way to start the summer.

Views: 456

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Duppie said:
A little OT, but it seems that this victim of bike theft has confused feelings about the perpetrator. A variation on the Stockholm syndrome, maybe?

BTW, thanks to whoever had the brilliant idea to put an RSS feed of Craigslist missed bike connections on Chainlink's homepage. It make for amusing reading

Mean while back at the ranch.... bike theif dude shows up for his date with the woman and gets the ever living crap beat out of him by her ultimate fighter boyfriend.

Im just guessing...
Shit.

I got way to drunk last night and slept through the sting operation.

I suck.
Thieves suck. I think my new resolution will be that if I ever see someone cutting a lock I will at least poke my head into whatever building the bike is locked in front of and yell that someone is getting their ride jacked. Will it chase away the thief? maybe or maybe not but hey, better than nothing.
A good turn out and a good ride. We didn't see anything recoverable, but I think if we keep at this with semi-regular rides here and to other hot spots we may make some headway.

The one thing this taught me is that people HAVE to register their stolen stuff with the Stolen Bike Registry. Among other reasons to do so, it's super easy to do a keyword search on that site with a phone browser, so if someone happens to be poking around flea markets looking for jacked bikes the odds of your stuff getting found this way go from infinitesimal to slightly less infinitesimal if your bike is registered there. It's a real shame whoever had that sweet Cannondale didn't register it!
I never want to ride down that part of Cermak, or Ashland again...but it was a good ride. I'm definitely up for doing this more frequently. Seeing that Cannondale at the flea market was kind of depressing
Your trip sounds about as fruitful as mine have been-- no smoking gun, interesting on an educational level but barely worth the trip.
What time did you guys get there? Is it possible you missed the real thieves?

Gibbles T. Chimp said:
If any of the bikes below are recognizable as something you know as stolen....

Black Specialized

Black Fuji

Red Cannondale
Dr. Doom said:
The one thing this taught me is that people HAVE to register their stolen stuff with the Stolen Bike Registry. Among other reasons to do so, it's super easy to do a keyword search on that site with a phone browser, so if someone happens to be poking around flea markets looking for jacked bikes the odds of your stuff getting found this way go from infinitesimal to slightly less infinitesimal if your bike is registered there. It's a real shame whoever had that sweet Cannondale didn't register it!

Good call. The work that's gone into building and maintaining it is only half the story-- the bike community has to do the rest.
Another with an angle grinder! sorry....

plus the photo you attached shows a person with a nice steady hand. there is no chatter in the cut. they most likely had a outfit that allowed people to notice but but never thought twice about what was going on. LIKE grey or blue uniform with a hi vis safety vest over a matching shirt ..

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOU LOSING YOUR 2ND BIKE..
It would be ironic if there was at least one bolt cutter under "people who bought this item also bought . . ."

wig [ isaac ] said:
I apologize if this has been posted already but didnt see it when I did a search...

Here's some interesting insight into why so many bikes get stolen...

Perhaps this is a large part of why it doesnt matter what type of lock you have.

This pisses me off!

ABC's What would you do?

Episode one

Episode two
Here's a bike theft story with an extremely unusual twist:

http://chicago.stolenbike.org/node/184297

(moral of the story-- if you want a stolen bike back, get it stolen outside of Chicago city limits)

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service