The Chainlink

Nearly every morning, I witness 40-foot trucks driving on the Lake Front Trail. The trucks take up the entire width of the path, and knock over tree branches onto unsuspecting joggers and bikers. They are creating a dangerous situation by funneling two way running/biking traffic into the narrow shoulder, while blocking view of the oncoming lane. I should also note that the trucks are moving, and not just parked on the trail. How are they even getting access to the trail, and who is continuing to allow this to happen?

Views: 3085

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not really.  Firstly, its a Beer Truck and the state may have laws limiting the time of distribution of the beer.  Secondly, its a question of safety.  Would YOU want to be the poor schnook delivering beer at 3 am in the morning on an isolated lakefront trail?    We would see multiple robberies every month.

Adam Herstein (5.5 mi) said:

I understand the need, but wouldn't late at night or really early in the morning be a better time than morning rush hour? The trail isn't just used by beach-goers.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Thousands of people use the lake front everyday, for a space that small to serve that many people stuff has to come in and out daily . If you want concession stands and restaurants to be stocked, garbage cans emptied, grass mowed and other maintenance done, then all of those vehicles have to get to the lake front somehow. It makes sense to do all that in the morning before things get really busy.

There are plenty of Park District pickup trucks and industrial-strength lawnmowers every morning as well. Why are trucks banned from Lake Shore Drive, but allowed on the adjacent bike path?

No it's not. This is a private business monopolizing a public facility for their own monetary gain. It's the same as a truck blocking a car lane to do unloading, or a theatre blocking the bike lane to provide a valet service. It helps a very select few while inconveniencing/endangering everyone else. The business could have found a less intrusive method of accomplishing their needs, but instead they chose the easiest path while ignoring the needs of anyone else.

Crazy David 84 Furlongs said:

This is the very kind of attitude displayed by car drivers that is so annoying to the bicycling community.   Its a limited number of vehicles that need access in order to provide services to the businesses along the LFT.  For the society as a whole, this is the safest and most convenient time for the stocking to occur.   Imagine the outcry if they stocked at night and some Night Ninja without a light and helmet ran into the truck at night.   We expect others to deal with us and let us use our share of the infrastructure.  We should do the same thing.  But, no doubt, the self-centered Critical Mass mindset is going to kick in again.   

Cargo bikes, helicopters, giant push-carts, I don't care. It's not our problem how they restock, and they shouldn't burden the public – who has a right to the trail – with their private business needs.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

How else will they restock that restaurant?

Technically right, morally wrong.   It is a private business working as a concessionaire for the Government.   They have to operate within the rules set forth in their contract.    The Government decided that this facility would serve an important purpose on government land.    And, unlike your other examples, this is the only realistic way from them to obtain supplies.   You haven't actually suggested any realistic less intrusive alternative.    No.  Its the typical Critical Mass self-centered me me me attitude which makes it hard to achieve any real and meaningful progress toward good bicycling. 

And don't start counting numbers, you will likely lose.  At Oak Street a lot more people buy beer and lay on the beach than use if for a morning commute.    Ban beer trucks, because they restrict bicycles, could lead to ban bicycles because they conflict with all of the beach goers.    But hey, confrontation works so well... or at least makes me feel good... so why bother looking for real and effective solutions.

No it's not. This is a private business monopolizing a public facility for their own monetary gain. It's the same as a truck blocking a car lane to do unloading, or a theatre blocking the bike lane to provide a valet service. It helps a very select few while inconveniencing/endangering everyone else. The business could have found a less intrusive method of accomplishing their needs, but instead they chose the easiest path while ignoring the needs of anyone else.

Crazy David 84 Furlongs said:

This is the very kind of attitude displayed by car drivers that is so annoying to the bicycling community.   Its a limited number of vehicles that need access in order to provide services to the businesses along the LFT.  For the society as a whole, this is the safest and most convenient time for the stocking to occur.   Imagine the outcry if they stocked at night and some Night Ninja without a light and helmet ran into the truck at night.   We expect others to deal with us and let us use our share of the infrastructure.  We should do the same thing.  But, no doubt, the self-centered Critical Mass mindset is going to kick in again.   

Cargo bikes, helicopters, giant push-carts, I don't care. It's not our problem how they restock, and they shouldn't burden the public – who has a right to the trail – with their private business needs.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

How else will they restock that restaurant?

I agree Adam, they put me at risk daily, DON'T belong, and put grossly intolerable wear on our paths.  It's not our problem if they need to deliver by handtruck, so be it.  The same holds at Fullerton for deliveries, and for contractors all over.  In the few interactions I've undertaken, or even just eye contact with drivers, there's obviously the usual they're just cyclists and joggers entitled indifference to us second class citizens which precludes constructive cooperative resolution.  I encourage a continued mission of determining and contacting the appropriate regulating bodies, as there's no possible way these monsters are actually allowed on the path during major commuting times as they currently are.

Have you been on the LFT by there?  There's no ramp that would allow a truck to get on that apron or follow anywhere near the restaurant at Oak St Beach.

David P. said:

There is one hell of a big concrete apron there that service vehicles can drive on for most of that distance without blocking the entire path.

There is a ramp between the North Ave and Oak beaches. I've seen the ramp, plus once I saw a few trailers down on the apron, so I know vehicles of that size can utilize the ramp.

S said:

Have you been on the LFT by there?  There's no ramp that would allow a truck to get on that apron or follow anywhere near the restaurant at Oak St Beach.

David P. said:

There is one hell of a big concrete apron there that service vehicles can drive on for most of that distance without blocking the entire path.

And big waves to drag you into the lake.

Personally I can't wait so long as it's about fifty degrees colder than it is now.

Lisa Curcio 6.5 mi said:

Think winter--the restaurant will be closed and the LFP will be empty except for cyclists and some tenacious joggers. :-)

It will be nice for a week in October, then winter will start.

Tricolor said:

Personally I can't wait so long as it's about fifty degrees colder than it is now.

Better solution-- do away with all restaurants and concession stands on the Lakefront Path.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Thousands of people use the lake front everyday, for a space that small to serve that many people stuff has to come in and out daily . If you want concession stands and restaurants to be stocked, garbage cans emptied, grass mowed and other maintenance done, then all of those vehicles have to get to the lake front somehow. It makes sense to do all that in the morning before things get really busy.

There are plenty of Park District pickup trucks and industrial-strength lawnmowers every morning as well. Why are trucks banned from Lake Shore Drive, but allowed on the adjacent bike path?

Yes, but it's been a week or so, so I'm going only on the photo. Isn't the concrete apron at the same level as the asphalt path? It looks like it in the photo. Also, I do recall (wait, here is is: http://letsgorideabike.com/2013/07/lakefront/ - see photo with CFD Marhal's car and Park Service Explorer) seeing a photo with vehicles on the apron.

S said:

David P. said:

Yes.  Of course.  Because YOU don't like it, even though 10's of thousands of Chicago resident's do, we should get rid of it.    Great idea.    Wanna guess who's near the top of the list of "better solutions" for many drivers....   

h' 1.0 said:

Better solution-- do away with all restaurants and concession stands on the Lakefront Path.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

Let me guess.  You rid in Critical Masss.

1.   They don't put "grossly intolerable wear" on the paths.  The number and frequency is sufficiently small that this is not a real concern.  

2.  Assuming, for a minute, that they were willing to deliver by Handtruck, are you willing to deal with all of the angry park district patrons having to deal with a significantly more expensive product.  And, of course, this is an impractical suggestion.  Perhaps we should require all bicycles at night to be led by a person waving a red lantern.  

But hey, if triggering a backlash against bicyclist's makes you feel good, go right ahead.  After all, feeling good is more important than being effective.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service