The Chainlink

To Shovel or Not?   I live next to a street with a bike lane.  After the recent storm I went out to shovel the sidewalk.  I always do this.    I saw that the City Plow had pushed snow and slush into the Bike Lane.  So I shoveled and salted the bike lane for the block.  A bicyclist riding down the lane stopped and yelled at me for doing this indicating that the bike lane was "safer" covered in Ice and Snow.   Uh... should I stop?   Its not that big a deal to shovel the bike lane for the block after a storm and the salt holds the ice down...

Views: 985

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Having fallen hard on Saturday riding over ice hidden by a layer of snow, I have to agree - shoveling is better.  If I can see the hazards I can avoid them.

Once I got yelled at for spreading salt on my sidewalk.  Apparently, salt is hard on pets' paws.  So, now, meanly chastized for trying to be a good neighbor I (sometimes do nothing at all or) shovel and spread sand.

You sir, rock!

I shovel, then follow up with a broom if I've got time and energy - to make at least a narrow path where the sidewalk is 100% clean.  If conditions warrant it, I use the ice melter that's labeled as more pet and garden friendly (not the cheapo salt), along with some sand.  Dogs can walk on the snow if they need to.  I don't want them to end up with sore paws, but having the sidewalk be safer for people is a higher priority for me.

I wish that more people would use ice melter, sand and/or salt.  It can make a big difference, especially on a north-facing sidewalk that doesn't get direct sun.  I find myself avoiding many sidewalks on the north sides of houses because they can get icy as hell.

We have a corner lot, so it's a lot of sidewalk to shovel, but we knew what we were getting into.  I'd rather not see anyone get hurt, any more than I want to get hurt by falling on someone else's sidewalk.  I'm grateful that most of our closest neighbors do a good job of shoveling.  I wish that everyone did.

Steve Courtright said:

Having fallen hard on Saturday riding over ice hidden by a layer of snow, I have to agree - shoveling is better.  If I can see the hazards I can avoid them.

Once I got yelled at for spreading salt on my sidewalk.  Apparently, salt is hard on pets' paws.  So, now, meanly chastized for trying to be a good neighbor I (sometimes do nothing at all or) shovel and spread sand.

Shoveling the bike lane is above and beyond. Kudos!

I shovel at home, in front of home, across the alley to the west and about a third of the house to the east. I also salt.

When I had my own dogs, I would wipe their feet when we came inside and occasionally rub a little petroleum jelly on the dogs' pads to keep them from cracking.
Pet owners can help their dogs' feet.

Didn't mean to sound callous towards dogs.  I always leave at least 1/3 the width of our sidewalks free of ice melter.

THANK YOU THANK THANK YOU IF MORE PEOPLE HELPED OUT LIKE THIS I WOULD RIDE YEAR ROUND BUT I DO NOT RIDE IN SNOW YOU SAID YOU EVEN SALTED THE LANE SO WHATS THE BEEF!! YOU DID A GREAT SERVICE AND YES I AM YELLING MY GRADITUDE TO YOU!!

LOL, George, it looks like you yell everything, including your name! I like your enthusiasm.

Salt damages metal, pets' feet, the water supply and costs money.  When I had to worry about sidewalks and driveways I just shoveled more often.

Thanks for going above and beyond your responsibilities to keep the sidewalk clear. That biker sounds like an asshole.

While it is OK to be concerned for the well being of pets, the safety of humans easily trumps any concern I may have. Therefore salting is part of my snow cleaning strategy.

I make it a point never to yell at anyone who doesn't pose an imminent danger to me. Agreed, the cyclist was being an asshole.

My salt claims to be PET Safe.  I hit the sidewalk with salt real hard and now I'll hit the Bike Lanes harder as well.   Its a little bit of a losing venture as cars keep tracking the stuff back into the Bike lanes..

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service