The Chainlink

Sinkhole swallows cars whole on South Side on the 9600 block of South Houston Avenue.

Three fewer cars in the world is a good thing.  Throw in some more while you are at it and cover them up.

Unfortunately one human was hurt in the incident.   Cars are dangerous.

Views: 1796

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought the gif was amusing. People getting injured is not. 

Except sometimes:

Not even for a Safety Slap™?

Zoetrope said:

And here we have a perfect demonstration of why people think cyclists are preachy snobs who are out to eliminate cars...

Seriously. can you not see and understand why this kind of thinking is damaging to the concept of sharing the road?

Also, by your logic nobody deserves to live in a house unless they can afford to replace it in the event it burned down.  I don't deserve a couple of my own bikes because I could not afford to replace them if they were stolen tomorrow; should I be laughed at if that happens?

Finding enjoyment in the misfortune of others, no matter your own feelings on their personal choices are is a really petty and terrible way to go through life.  How would you feel if people found it enjoyable that you lost something because they don't agree with how they think?

Everybody here already knows you don't care if we think you're a twat, you make that cleat time and time again.  I think the real mystery is why you put in so much time participating in a forum where you don't care what anyone thinks of you?

James BlackHeron said:

If you can't afford to replace it you can't afford to own (and drive it.)

The only reason why most people can afford to own and drive these death and planet-killing machines is because the real costs are collectivized and spread around so people don't even realize what the true cost to them (and society) really is.  

The money/expenses used largely to own, operate, and maintain these resource hogs is coming out of a hidden pocket -often times not even a pocket owned by the person operating the machine. 

So do I laugh at this?  Yes.

If that makes me a TWAT then so be it. I'm a proud twat. 

Have to get a fake tooth because of something like that and you will start to see why it is not so humorous...

I will never understand the fixation with watching people getting injured and then laughing about it...

T.K. 6.5 mi said:

People getting injured is not. 

Except sometimes:

Nice to see you have a supporting argument for what you have to say...

James BlackHeron said:

It could always be worse.  We could be in Pittsburgh.

Havent you heard the saying, 'laughter is the best medicine'? 

Anyways, the point wasnt to bring anyone down. The 2nd gif was intended to try and relate the situation to bicycles, so we could all empathize and have a good laugh. 

I'm tabling anymore comments until the bar tonight. Looking forward to meeting faces. 

notoriousDUG said:

Have to get a fake tooth because of something like that and you will start to see why it is not so humorous...

I will never understand the fixation with watching people getting injured and then laughing about it...

That's a tough one.  I have pretty much agreed with you in this thread. However, a lot of humor is based on pain. A college classmate once said "the essance of funniness is pain." He was an engineer and had watched  a bit too much of the Three Stooges in his youth. In any case, he had a point. I still laugh at Jackass.  Of course, those guys know they are getting punished and  that is part of the joke. Its a much tougher call when people actually get hurt. I don't think laughing at The Agony of Defeat as the poor guy is thrown over a mountain is funny.  Still, I can watch the last half hour of Home Alone over and over again.  I know that Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern are not really getting ironed etc.  Thus, I  chuckled when I saw the cyclists wipe out in the mud. I don't think I would laugh if I knew one or both of them suffered a serious  injury.  I say this fully aware that there are much higher forms of humor than slapstick.  I realize its inconsistent but I felt much differently watching the lady's car fall into the hole. I saw her interviewed on a morning news program earlier today and  feel bad for her. Its not one less car. Its two less cars and two less ways for that family to get to work etc. I was not laughing.

notoriousDUG said:

T.K. 6.5 mi said:

Except sometimes:

Fewer, not less.  

I do not think we are far apart on how we feel on this.  Slapstick cracks me up because I know that nobody actually gets hurt.  The dude going face first into the mud all I can think about is if he broke his nose or not; I get why it is funny but the potential pain to the 'victim' keeps me from being able to find it funny myself.

David Barish said:

That's a tough one.  I have pretty much agreed with you in this thread. However, a lot of humor is based on pain. A college classmate once said "the essance of funniness is pain." He was an engineer and had watched  a bit too much of the Three Stooges in his youth. In any case, he had a point. I still laugh at Jackass.  Of course, those guys know they are getting punished and  that is part of the joke. Its a much tougher call when people actually get hurt. I don't think laughing at The Agony of Defeat as the poor guy is thrown over a mountain is funny.  Still, I can watch the last half hour of Home Alone over and over again.  I know that Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern are not really getting ironed etc.  Thus, I  chuckled when I saw the cyclists wipe out in the mud. I don't think I would laugh if I knew one or both of them suffered a serious  injury.  I say this fully aware that there are much higher forms of humor than slapstick.  I realize its inconsistent but I felt much differently watching the lady's car fall into the hole. I saw her interviewed on a morning news program earlier today and  feel bad for her. Its not one less car. Its two less cars and two less ways for that family to get to work etc. I was not laughing.

notoriousDUG said:

T.K. 6.5 mi said:

Except sometimes:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service