The Chainlink

You blew the red light east bound on Lawrence at Damen at 5:26 pm this evening.

There was enough time for the biker in front of me to make it half way into the intersection, northbound on Damen, before you came whizzing past my front wheel.

I yelled "You're an idiot!" at your big haired chick, self, and you looked back at me. I meant it!

I woulda testified for any of the cars, that managed to not kill you, if they had.

Keep riding like a tard!

love,

gabe

Witness bad behavior during your commute? Feel free to post. Maybe that lovely human can read it and think they are famous. Maybe you can also inspire the whole generation of kids to shower but we can start with small things.

Views: 105299

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To the Lincoln Park mom, driving her BMW suv down Clybourn - thanks for not only encouraging your elementary aged boys to throw sh*t at me, but swerving closer so they could hit me?!?! Congratulations on creating the next generation of road-raging assholes. You're a TERRIBLE parent.

I had a pleasant one this a.m. while riding up the Dearborn bike lane. As I rolled up to Adams, the bike signal was turning red and the left turn signal turned green. Drivers were starting to turn as I came to a stop. The 3rd or 4th driver in the line turned to me as I stopped and put my foot down and said "thank you." That was a refreshing and welcome change of pace.  

I like to practice positive reinforcement. It's nice to see drivers doing it, too.

I truly believe that you cannot judge a book by its cover.  I make an effort to avoid pre judging people based on external factors. Our world has dealt with racial and other prejudice too often. That being said I have a real hard time putting that into practice when it comes to drivers of BMW automobiles. This came long before the horrible bike/car crash last year. I don't know what it is but in my statistically insignificant world it seems that bad behavior and a sense of entitlement seems to coexist with BMW ownership. Suffice it to say that I am saddened but not terribly surprised by your story.

Julia 3.5/7.5 mi said:

To the Lincoln Park mom, driving her BMW suv down Clybourn - thanks for not only encouraging your elementary aged boys to throw sh*t at me, but swerving closer so they could hit me?!?! Congratulations on creating the next generation of road-raging assholes. You're a TERRIBLE parent.

I reported a UPS driver for honking at me 5 times, followed by a close pass (less than a foot and I was in a bike lane) followed by blowing the lights at milwaukee and frances. They turned to get to the pickup box on California, and I followed and snapped a picture of their plate. We'll see what UPS does. 

I had a BMW driver tap my water bottle hanging off my backpack while riding home a few weeks ago.  I was shaking for hours even after I got home because of how fast he was going.  They work in the area I do so I will run into them again (not literally) and they have a huge, shiny silver "UNITED STATES AIR FORCE" sticker on the back of a black X5 that was a few years old.

And I deal with other BMW drivers as well, but like you said I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but it seems that too often the stereotype of a BMW driver just follows and fits them to a "T".

David Barish said:

I truly believe that you cannot judge a book by its cover.  I make an effort to avoid pre judging people based on external factors. Our world has dealt with racial and other prejudice too often. That being said I have a real hard time putting that into practice when it comes to drivers of BMW automobiles. This came long before the horrible bike/car crash last year. I don't know what it is but in my statistically insignificant world it seems that bad behavior and a sense of entitlement seems to coexist with BMW ownership. Suffice it to say that I am saddened but not terribly surprised by your story.

Julia 3.5/7.5 mi said:

Okay...it's FRYday and these BMW discussions get me a bit riled up.

At Wells and Wacker (heading southbound) one sunny morning in peak rush hour; I am waiting patiently to turn right (onto E.B. Wacker).

I often take the lane since it is easy to get right-hooked there. A black BMW (7 series) with a Notre Dame (special IL commerative plate) license plate with this dude's initials and then "ESQ" starts honking at me to go. Yeah right : I am going to turn in front of an extra long (bendy) CTA Bus. I looked at the

A##hole and put my arms up like ("what do you want me to do?"). He keeps honking and starts yelling

(btw he was short, fat and bald (picture George Costanza)). I think he was trying to impress the cute girl on the bike next to me (he failed at that). I turned around and starting to give him an earful. He inched closer like he wanted to hit me. What this A@@Hat didn't realize is that I could follow him to work and see where he parked (I even told him so). I am not advocating this; but this jackA## just picked the wrong day to mess with me. (I think I yelled : "Sir, you basically suck at driving, manners and life in general...") I did follow him; I never touched his car; but it was comical seeing him go around the block several times trying to lose me. I just kept laughing thinking of how he was wasting money on Ga$ while I was being entertained in a big way.

DB

Chitown_Mike said:

I had a BMW driver tap my water bottle hanging off my backpack while riding home a few weeks ago.  I was shaking for hours even after I got home because of how fast he was going.  They work in the area I do so I will run into them again (not literally) and they have a huge, shiny silver "UNITED STATES AIR FORCE" sticker on the back of a black X5 that was a few years old.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of BMW drivers I have encountered over many years have reinforced that stereotype. I hate to admit that this includes one of my brothers. As far as safely riding on streets is concerned, I'm grateful that we don't live in the same city, because he IS the stereotypical impatient leadfoot BMW menace.  

I find it a refreshing change of pace when I encounter a BMW driver who is actually reasonable. They are rare beings, almost like unicorns. ;)

David Barish said:

I agree. More bikes need to practice good traffic etiquette if we expect car drivers to do the same. One of my pet peeves is when a car arrives at a stop-sign-regulated intersection before I do, but expects me to go first. It's nice of the driver to be polite, but that's not how traffic rules work; I don't like to be perceived as getting special treatment. I usually wave them ahead (with emphasis), then put my other foot down if they don't get the idea.

Another thing I like to do is inform motorists of missing brake lights. I've actually surprised people by letting them know that they had *no* functional brake lights. I have yet to have a motorist not thank me for this small service; hopefully they remember it when they see a cyclist blowing a red light! ;-)

Steve

Anne Alt said:

I like to practice positive reinforcement. It's nice to see drivers doing it, too.

I've done the same many times.

Steve Weeks said:

Another thing I like to do is inform motorists of missing brake lights. I've actually surprised people by letting them know that they had *no* functional brake lights. I have yet to have a motorist not thank me for this small service; hopefully they remember it when they see a cyclist blowing a red light! ;-)

Steve

I periodically indulge in BMW-driver stereotyping, but I propose an age cutoff on the car - anyone driving something like a Bavaria (my favorite) or 2002 is right cool to me.

Oh, my goodness, this is one of my biggest pet peeves with drivers.  And it's constant.  It's as if they still think that a bicycle counts as a pedestrian and treat me accordingly.  No, I'm a vehicle, just like you. 

One of my pet peeves is when a car arrives at a stop-sign-regulated intersection before I do, but expects me to go first.

On the bike in those situations I stop and put my foot down.  I haven't seen a driver yet that doesn't recognize they have the right of way.

In the car in those situations I start moving slow enough to stop if the yahoo on their bike is planning to blow the intersection.  Stop or go, either way I can always hope they learn a useful lesson.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service