The Chainlink

You blew the red light east bound on Lawrence at Damen at 5:26 pm this evening.

There was enough time for the biker in front of me to make it half way into the intersection, northbound on Damen, before you came whizzing past my front wheel.

I yelled "You're an idiot!" at your big haired chick, self, and you looked back at me. I meant it!

I woulda testified for any of the cars, that managed to not kill you, if they had.

Keep riding like a tard!

love,

gabe

Witness bad behavior during your commute? Feel free to post. Maybe that lovely human can read it and think they are famous. Maybe you can also inspire the whole generation of kids to shower but we can start with small things.

Views: 105300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If one more of you dumb motherfuckers rides the wrong way on Ravenswood Avenue near Montrose I'm going to fucking let you have it. Stop this dumb bullshit, there's a street that goes that way on the other side of the tracks. You're fucking up traffic and disregarding the lights (not to mention being a shitty salmon) so please, please, please go the right way. Fuckers

Don't hold back, Luke. Say what you really think!  ;-)

It's like there is a sort of "Wild West" attitude among a significant fraction of the cyclists on the street. I see it every day: running lights, shoaling, passing me too close without warning and riding the wrong way in a bike lane (on Jackson). This is thoughtless, inconsiderate, bad for the public image of cycling... and *dangerous*. I yearn for the day when the police will have the time and/or inclination to stop and seriously inconvenience these miscreants.

Steve

Luke Gardner said:

If one more of you dumb motherfuckers rides the wrong way on Ravenswood Avenue near Montrose I'm going to fucking let you have it. Stop this dumb bullshit, there's a street that goes that way on the other side of the tracks. You're fucking up traffic and disregarding the lights (not to mention being a shitty salmon) so please, please, please go the right way. Fuckers

I have a nice one, and I hope the person actually reads this:

First a prologue is necessary: I crashed into a car going southbound on Milwaukee Ave near Chicago on Friday around 5 PM. Car traffic was bad, so the driver decided to pull out of traffic to get into side streets. Unfortunately, the driver didn't look before going over the bike lane and plowed me down. Luckily, it was a low speed collision. I walked away with just bruises and the need for a new rim. The driver was very apologetic and felt terrible. She took responsibility and gave me her info.

Now to the person who I hope reads this: A cyclist saw the crash, and stopped to make sure I was okay. He seemed very concerned and really wanted to help out. But in the shock of getting nailed by 3 tons of steel threw off my attention. Furthermore, I was focused on assessing my possible injuries and getting the information from the driver. I thanked you for checking on me, but it was was not a good enough "thank you." Your concern for me was greatly appreciated, and I wish I was more grateful at the time.

To the woman in the pink & black jersey who noiselessly passed me within inches while I was waiting at the red light on Milwaukee at Chicago, then weaved through the other 10 or so cyclists to get to the front and proceed through the red light - are you really in that much of a hurry? If so, perhaps you should leave a bit earlier...

Going north at Wolcott and Touhy on Sunday morning, I pulled up to the stop sign, saw that no one was there before me, and proceeded into the intersection.  A white, BMW convertible was just pulling up to the stop sign on my right.  Next thing I knew, the bumper was 3 feet away from my front wheel.  Fortunately, the top was down so the driver couldn't miss my wild shrieks of "Hey! Hey! Watch it!!" as I braked suddenly.  The driver, bemused, stopped and waved me on. He couldn't seem to figure out what I was doing there.  And he wasn't even talking on a cell phone.

Glad you're okay. And don't even get me started about BMW drivers.... Grrr!!!

Lisa Gordon said:

Going north at Wolcott and Touhy on Sunday morning, I pulled up to the stop sign, saw that no one was there before me, and proceeded into the intersection.  A white, BMW convertible was just pulling up to the stop sign on my right.  Next thing I knew, the bumper was 3 feet away from my front wheel.  Fortunately, the top was down so the driver couldn't miss my wild shrieks of "Hey! Hey! Watch it!!" as I braked suddenly.  The driver, bemused, stopped and waved me on. He couldn't seem to figure out what I was doing there.  And he wasn't even talking on a cell phone.

+2  Been there more than once, and there's NO good excuse for it.

Luke Gardner said:

Not giving an excuse but hasn't the southbound ravenswood Ave on the West side of the track been closed off for construction for a while now (Between montrose and lawerence). 

Anne Alt said:

Luke Gardner said:

You the guy in the silver helmet who rides North Ave a lot. I saw you this time blowing a red light at Damon/Milwaukee/North intersection. You were riding through with no hands, I know this is so cool, but, it's also moronic. That's not even the best thing you did! When you held out one of your hands indicating for the bike coming through legally with the green light to stop because you were going through the red, classy. I have seen you riding with a laundry bag in your lap and no hands to. I am floored by how cool you must be to have udder disregard for yourself and other bikers. One day you will not be so lucky to have people stop as you swerve in front of them. 

Forgot about the recent Metra construction. Sorry. But what about Wolcott? It's 1 block west of the southbound half of Ravenswood. Wolcott has stoplights at major intersections - good southbound bike route, better than SB Ravenswood, IMO.

Davo said:

Not giving an excuse but hasn't the southbound ravenswood Ave on the West side of the track been closed off for construction for a while now (Between montrose and lawerence). 

Anne Alt said:

Luke Gardner said:

You are a 300 lb. cab driver of unknown national origin. I was stopped at a red light in the middle of the bike lane on Clinton with both head light and tail light activated and wearing a bright red shirt for max. visibility. Sorry I couldn't initially understand what you were saying to me and twice had to ask you to "please repeat yourself," as I had just finished a 10 hour shift at work. I'm usually much better with accents. I finally understood you on the third try: "You're going to get yourself killed the way you ride."

I must admit, I was rather taken aback, as this conversation was occurring only because I was stopped in a bike lane at a red light in very light traffic. Indeed, the bike ahead of me blew the same light shortly after I pulled behind him, intent not to shoal. (I guess my unusual behavior caused him to panic.) I had been riding in a straight line in the bike lane for several blocks, so I asked, "What are you talking about?"

You responded, "Fuck you, pussy," then sped off as the light turned green, only to pull into the bike lane and slam on the brakes a few yards later. I easily avoided you, as I had been slowly accelerating from a dead stop. This time you said, "I'm not a pussy." I was forced to disagree, considering your concurrent behavior while surrounded by a substantial protective layer of metal, and suggested that you focus on correcting your own questionable driving instead of worrying about me. At this point, you opened the door, feigning bravery...expecting me to ride away, I guess. I decided to look for your ID number instead, which caused you to peel off into the relative darkness before I could get it. Once again, you had undermined your claim to be "not a pussy." Little did I know that you would undermine yourself one last time.

After parking your cab out of sight near Harrison, you hid behind parked cars, lying in wait for my approach. Then you sprung out as I passed, intent on knocking me to the ground sideways. I guess you forgot that you weigh 300 lbs., as you completely gassed after taking 3 steps, making contact physically impossible unless I came to a full stop (which I briefly considered). I had a good laugh with a fellow biker at a red light half a block away. He carries his U-lock on his handlebars for just such occasions.

No hard feelings at your attempts to murder me for no apparent reason. I will have many a laugh in the days to come at the vision of your "running."

One near miss on the way home tonight, at 19th and Washtenaw.

Hey near-misser, if you're reading-- how are you even still alive?

Now I know how all you hipsters feel.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service