The Chainlink

You blew the red light east bound on Lawrence at Damen at 5:26 pm this evening.

There was enough time for the biker in front of me to make it half way into the intersection, northbound on Damen, before you came whizzing past my front wheel.

I yelled "You're an idiot!" at your big haired chick, self, and you looked back at me. I meant it!

I woulda testified for any of the cars, that managed to not kill you, if they had.

Keep riding like a tard!

love,

gabe

Witness bad behavior during your commute? Feel free to post. Maybe that lovely human can read it and think they are famous. Maybe you can also inspire the whole generation of kids to shower but we can start with small things.

Views: 105300

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You: college bro-looking guy in a Camry on a 4- or 6-lane road in Madison, WI

Me: driving down the road in the middle lane in my Beigemobile

Him: pedestrian waiting to cross in a crosswalk

The crosswalk is plain as day with good marking, bright signs and lit up like Christmas (either it lights up when someone walks up to it or when they press a button) but I was in just enough of a 'car mode' that, given the car-favored nature of the street, I _almost_ didn't stop to let him cross. Then I saw bro start to slow to a stop next to me and snapped out of my mindlessness enough to stop also to let the guy cross.

I found it surprisingly easy to adopt habits contrary to my usual ones (I never would have spaced out in the city) merely because I was in a suburban-looking environment!

You: Truck driver who was about to pull out on Elston this morning.

Not only did you stop before crossing the bike lane to look for people on bikes; when you saw me, you gestured so that I could know that you did in-fact see me and saved me from having to brake and/or swerve into the traffic lane. I wish more drivers were as thoughtful as you.

I was in Boston last Friday waiting for a bus on a crowded sidewalk. The street was pretty crowded as well. Along came a hipster type on a fixie (on the sidewalk) calling out "Bikers' rights! Bikers' Rights!" as he drove right through the waiting pedestrians. I said "Dude, you're on the *sidewalk* and he gave me a dirty look.

Is there some kind of special law on the East coast?

Steve

No bikes in this interlude. I stood at the corner of Randolph and Clark watching a couple of well dressed pedestrians cross against a red light. They look surprised as they notice cars approach the green light those cars had. The pedestrians hop across as if skipping stones to cross the street. As they reach the far side  they encounter the driver sitting in the left turn lane with his phone in his left hand engaged in conversation before  making his turn.  He successfully does so. The light starts to turn and the driver behind Mr. Verizon decides to rev his engine and announce that he will make that left turn regardless of the changing light. The dozen or so of us who were not in a hurry to cross are rewarded for our leisure by not being hit by Mr. I'mgonnamakeit.  Nobody seems to see each other but fortunately  no Darwin awards today. 

If not, it should be. ;)

Jeff Schneider said:

Wasn't that a scene in Portlandia?

Steve Weeks said:

I was in Boston last Friday waiting for a bus on a crowded sidewalk. The street was pretty crowded as well. Along came a hipster type on a fixie (on the sidewalk) calling out "Bikers' rights! Bikers' Rights!" as he drove right through the waiting pedestrians. I said "Dude, you're on the *sidewalk* and he gave me a dirty look.

Steve

A big thank you to the truck driver on sb Elston who stopped & waved me out from a side street when there was an endless stream of traffic behind him. He saved me from a realllly long wait for a break in the traffic!

It was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI

Anne Alt said:

If not, it should be. ;)

Jeff Schneider said:

Steve Weeks said:

Steve

About 8:40 this morning: 3 guys riding north in Dearborn bike lane blasted through red light. One continued at speed onto the sidewalk next to the Monadnock building, then jumped the curb back into the lane mid-block. That was really special.

One for the books today! Halsted and Elston you tried to push the arrow and I had to put my hand out saying stop. Fulton and Halsted you were doing 35-40 and slammed the brakes as I was going through a clear intersection. Ravenswood at Sunnyside you were stopping but rolling as you stated at your phone then smiled and waved sorry. Clark and Winona you were looking right then pulled out as you looked left,gave me a cute wave as I swerved and hit the brakes.
That was hilarious!

pherm said:

It was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3nMnr8ZirI

Anne Alt said:

If not, it should be. ;)

Jeff Schneider said:

Steve Weeks said:

Steve

Doing a good clip down Wells in Old Town the 3 of you bar hoppers? just ran out into the street from behind a parked SUV I couldn't have stopped or swerved, luckily I threaded the needle.

Maybe look first before you cross the street?

To the young guy zipping along on a Divvy bike in the Dearborn bike lane who blew through the red line at Adams - thank you SO much for being so considerate of all the pedestrians who were trying to cross without a collision or having their feet run over. May you get blocked and have to wait at EVERY red light for the rest of the week.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service