The Irreverent Guide to Chicago Urban Planning Highlights and Lowlights

This morning the morning the Chicago Department of Transportation officially released the excellent Complete Streets Chicago design guidelines, a major landmark in the city's movement to prioritize sustainable transportation.

Also in time for this week's American Planning Association conference in Chicago, Streetsblog would like to present a humbler document, our Irreverent Guide to Chicago Planning Highlights and Lowlights. The post showcases a number of new walking, biking and transit features we love, plus a few car-centric relics from the previous administration that we love to hate.

Did we miss anything important?

Views: 755

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think Fullerton's turned out fine.  The northern sidewalk is plenty wide, and the intersection's got a traffic light to keep the sidewalk and street traffic from being in the same place at the same time.  With summer foot traffic the stop sign was pretty useless.  The underpass for Fullerton just before the bridge over the rowing pond is nice, too.

I'm planning on doing a follow-up post about Fullerton, observing what routes eastbound cyclists and pedestrians are taking to the lake. Are they making two street crossings to get to the wide north sidewalk, are they taking the circuitous ramp/underpass/ramp-or-stairs route, or are cyclists simply continuing east in the street despite the danger of two right-turn lanes? I'll keep you posted on my findings.

Speaking of the LFP flyover, what is the status on this mega-budget extravaGANZA?

James, the project is slated to be bid out this fall and constructed in 2014. Here's a 56-page city planning document on the subject with lots of cool renderings and more info than you could possibly want: http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/cdot/NPFlyover_...

Thanks!

Lots of info.  What are the chances that it isn't going to be built at this point and an alternative such as Steven's idea is implemented instead?  Pretty much zero?  Looks like a done deal to me.  Everyone's pockets have already been lined. 

John Greenfield said:

James, the project is slated to be bid out this fall and constructed in 2014. Here's a 56-page city planning document on the subject with lots of cool renderings and more info than you could possibly want: http://www.cityofchicago.org/content/dam/city/depts/cdot/NPFlyover_...

Yep, it looks like it's going to actually happen. One could argue it's not the wisest use of $44.5 million when there's a much cheaper alternative that would solve much of the current problem. On the other hand, you won't hear me complaining once I'm soaring over the city on my bike on the flyover, checking out awesome views of the lake and skyline.

I suppose it's comparable in cost to the Bloomington Trail Bridge to Nowhere project and at least this is going to get a bunch of through traffic linking through this much-used and highly congested danger zone. 

Hopefully no other needed transportation bicycling infrastructure projects will be getting cut in the future due to shortfalls in the overall budget.   A million here, and a million there, and pretty soon it starts adding up to real money...

James, the Bloomingdale will be far from a bridge to nowhere. It will be a spectacular park and recreation facility and, unlike New York's High Line, which you can't bike on, it will also be a very useful transportation route. I know I'll be using it to pedal from my home in Logan Square part of the way downtown, when I'm not in the mood for direct-but-hectic Milwaukee Avenue. And the trail will link a number of street-level parks and schools, so it will be terrific car-free walking and biking route for neighborhood kids. Definitely $90 million well spent.

At $35,000,000/mile it ought to be one heck of a spectacular trail/park.

It will certainly be more spectacular than than a mile of four-lane urban freeway, which costs $50,000,000.

More $50M/mile roads should not be built either.  

Build roads and cars come...

Agreed.

Build elevated greenways and walkers, joggers and bicyclists will come...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service