The Chainlink

suspicious looking CL posts that clearly push stolen bikes - what to do?

I usually flag them after looking very closely, but I saw one recently that just keeps itching at me...

It was a bike with no front wheel AND the rear wheel still u-locked to the frame. Now, if that's not suspicious, I don't know what is! I flagged it and moved on, but can't seem to shrug it off.

SO

What options do we have to do something about the ones that are clearly (or at least very likely) stolen... other than reporting to uninterested cops?

Why not post right here on this forum?

Better idea, anyone??
H??

For example: http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/bik/1100811060.html
May not be stolen, but awfully odd otherwise, right??

Views: 3315

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

She said that she sent it to me and to Stolen Bike Registry.

h' 1.0 said:

I wonder how many others she broadcast this to? Now I'm feeling kind of dumb for spending as much time on this as I did.

Kevin C 4.1 mi said:

The Chicago Stolen Bike Registry received the same inquiry.

Anne Alt said:

I had an inquiry from someone newly arrived in town about responding to a Craigslist ad and encountering a situation that seemed suspicious to her at 2906 W. Armitage.  Are any of you familiar with this place?  

[snip]

After reading your comments, she emailed me the following additional info:

The seller is a middle aged Mexican guy, he had a younger woman with him translating.
Given that neither spoke much English, its amazing they managed to post on
craigslist at all!!

Some people from London see some people from Mexico selling a lot of bikes and now the pitchforks and torches come out.

These bikes are often on the street on armitage in front of the "shop". Our family rides by frequently and nothing generally seems unusual.

Also, for the "sold" thing, if he put an ad in Spanish, it would say "se vende bicicleta".  You would put that into Google translate and get "bicycle sold".   It's sort of like "Spanish spoken" (se habla Español).   Maybe he doesn't speak English well, but he's getting close.

Much like the guy who kept showing wheels for sale at very low prices, keep track of the posting location, name, phone number then bust him/her.

A few deep wall rims might equal $500 or so (unsure of the exact laws in Illinois) if so it might equal a felony and you gotta think if a petty Craigslist D-bag wants a felony for stealing fixie rims?

"The crime of theft involves unlawfully taking the property of another person with the intent to permanently - or even temporarily - deprive that person of the property. In other words, you don't have to keep the property in order to be convicted of theft - you can be convicted of theft even if you possess the stolen property for only a short period of time. In order to be convicted of theft, you also have to know that the property belongs to another person."

Doesn't he have to be doing a crime for you to bust him?   Aren't you guys just slandering him at this point?

I figured that someone who was actually familiar with the location would speak up sooner or later.

What our newcomer described to me sounded odd enough that I could understand why she might consider it unusual and suspicious - a little like Shining Bikes and Things, which some of you have talked about as a source of stolen bikes.  If you weren't from here and responded to an ad to find a situation like that, something that didn't look normal, is it possible that you might be suspicious, too?  

Juan - Give her a break.  She was trying to get more info from people who might have more familiarity with the situation.

Can the torches and pitchforks be put away now?  ;)

Anika said:

These bikes are often on the street on armitage in front of the "shop". Our family rides by frequently and nothing generally seems unusual.

Flag early and flag often.

I probably flag 30-40 CL posts a day in the FS-Bicycles section.

I'm often browsing on my computer home connection and on my phone on the run so I hit a lot of them at least twice. 

The low-life thieves annoy me and so do the keyword spammers who list dozens (if not hundreds) of unrelated keywords.   If I search for a specific term like Ultegra or Raleigh and I get a Campy or Schwinn it gets flagged twice from two IP's.  When I see scummy bike thieves I do the same.   If everyone flagged everything they knew wasn't right it'd be too hard for these jerks to operate and constantly re-list the many dozens of ads they place every day. 

There are certainly some quirky folks in the bike-selling arena.  There is this one guy in Skokie I called about a very large frame.  A visit to his house revealed that every room was packed, nearly to the ceiling in some places, with bikes, frames and wheels. 

Turned out he just loves bikes.  Happily bought a super sweet Schwinn from him for my little guy.

This is certainly not to minimize the findings above.  Stolen bike clearing houses are apparently in healthy abundance.

Yes, my response to her was that there was no evidence that any of the bikes were stolen.

I much prefer a contact like hers to the folks who want to get the police involved because they saw someone "shifty" riding a bicycle.

Anne Alt said:

I figured that someone who was actually familiar with the location would speak up sooner or later.

What our newcomer described to me sounded odd enough that I could understand why she might consider it unusual and suspicious - a little like Shining Bikes and Things, which some of you have talked about as a source of stolen bikes.  If you weren't from here and responded to an ad to find a situation like that, something that didn't look normal, is it possible that you might be suspicious, too?  

Juan - Give her a break.  She was trying to get more info from people who might have more familiarity with the situation.

Can the torches and pitchforks be put away now?  ;)

Anika said:

Agreed.

h' 1.0 said:

Yes, my response to her was that there was no evidence that any of the bikes were stolen.

I much prefer a contact like hers to the folks who want to get the police involved because they saw someone "shifty" riding a bicycle.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service