The Chainlink

9/20/12 Damen from Division to Jackson is "Rough Grooved Surface." Plan accordingly.

Views: 11118

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No mention of bicycle parking ;-)

Perhaps we should write to the developer and ask. 

Lisa Curcio said:

No mention of bicycle parking ;-)

In solidarity with Tony's efforts to reconfigure the Front Page Threads [ahem!]

4/17/13: Erie from Armour to Bishop is rough grooved pavement which appears to be the start of a resurfacing project between Ogden and Ashland.

Northbound Southport from Addison to Irving Park is rough grooved concrete where the bike lane used to be. Southbound is fine.

Northbound Southport south of Lincoln is the same story, but I am not sure how far south that starts.

I would avoid northbound Southport until they put in new asphalt.

Do you think they are going to put normal asphalt in? That surface reminds me of northbound Wells.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

Northbound Southport from Addison to Irving Park is rough grooved concrete where the bike lane used to be. Southbound is fine.

Northbound Southport south of Lincoln is the same story, but I am not sure how far south that starts.

I would avoid northbound Southport until they put in new asphalt.

5/15/13: Milwaukee from Ohio to Kinzie is rough grooved pavement.

Figured that was coming.  They had been working on manhole and sewer grates.

Kevin C said:

I assume this is part of the progression that goes like this:

repair/replace utility access points

repair/update curbs, ADA ramps, etc.

mill off crappy oldpavement

lay down buttery smooth new pavement

paint nice new bicycle-friendlier markings

tear up new pavement for badly-timed utility work and cover with crappy hot patch

Lisa Curcio 4.0 mi said:

Figured that was coming.  They had been working on manhole and sewer grates.

Kevin C said:

Thanks for the link. 

I attended the meeting regarding the Milwaukee Avenue Protected Bike Lane on April 30th. Gabe Klein and Ald. Walter Burnett indicated that issues raised by the neighbors, neighborhood businesses and road users were being considered and Klein added that the design of the Milwaukee Avenue PBL was "not yet settled." Nice to see that they were able to consider and address everyone's concerns in the space of two weeks and have a design ready to build.

Michael B said:

South Shore Drive from 71st to 79th is absolutely horrendous to ride. A boneshaker if i ever saw one. I rode it 3 times in the last month and it seems to get worse every time.

Does anyone have safe alternatives from the end of the Lake front trail to Calumet Park and Burnham greenway?

Oh God, yes. I was on it today for the first time since last year and it's absolutely awful! It's bad all the way down to the high 80s.

Duppie 13.5185km said:

South Shore Drive from 71st to 79th is absolutely horrendous to ride. A boneshaker if i ever saw one. I rode it 3 times in the last month and it seems to get worse every time.

Does anyone have safe alternatives from the end of the Lake front trail to Calumet Park and Burnham greenway?

To be fair, the entirety of the south side is having the water lines ripped out and is, accordingly, ripped to pieces.  I commute daily on south shore drive and 31st and they are both a terrible mess.  87th is rough too.

good thing they restripped south shore drive last fall, huh?  and fortuitous that the city timed intensive construction with a red line shutdown. 

There isn't any much better alternatives that I'm aware of to cal park... coles isn't nice to bike down.  Jeffrey is alright, but can be a lil tight in traffic.  Yates might be the best option to 83rd and cut back east? 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service