The Chainlink

I figured that I would start a thread to see if we could get some sort of chainlink group to ride together. My plan is to ride at a fairly casual pace and enjoy myself, so I'm looking for others to do the same. And, as many people know, the ride is much more enjoyable and goes by faster when you're in good company. I know I already asked James, but who else would be down for this? And, what time would you all plan on meeting?

Views: 4386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ouch, that sounds positively horrible David.  

I hope everything turns out well from this point on and you don't suffer any future complications. Head injuries can be a real issue. Get well and don't worry about your bike. It will be OK. A big hearty thumbs up to everyone who helped you out and made sure you were taken care of, safe, and comfortable post-crash.

This is the first I heard about any serious incidents at the event.  I was a bit worried about my wife on the half-century as I wasn't there with her in case anything would have gone wrong.  I was very happy to see and hug her at the end.

David Holmquist said:

I'm a bit embarrassed to submit my ride report, but here goes.  

I started out on the Metric at about 6:40 AM after riding 19 miles from Oak Park to Evanston.  My plan was to ride back to Oak Park after the event for a full 100 miles ... my first century.

The last thing I remember about the ride was turning eastbound on Tower Road just past mile 55.  Apparently I lost control of the bike a quarter-mile further on at the turn south onto Sheridan, went off the road, and hit a tree.

Headfirst.  I was wearing a Giro Hex, which now has a small dent over my left temple, and a crack through the foam underneath it.

I have no actual recollection of what happened or exactly where or, for that matter, when.  (I'll be curious to see the police report when I go back for my bike, which is locked up at the Winnetka police station.  I also don't know what condition the bike is in, now I think about it.)

The next thing I remember was waking up in the emergency room at Evanston Hospital strapped to a backboard and in a neck collar.  Long story short, I was diagnosed with concussion, had a head CT, was observed for a few hours and released in time to watch lots of riders go by on Ridge Road (the hospital is at mile 60 of the Metric route, on Ridge at Central) while I waited for a friend to pick me up.

Bummer!

Thankfully, no neck or shoulder injury.  Aside from the helmet damage and a bruise on my temple, the only ding to my body or clothes was a small scuff on the left shoulder of my jacket.  As I say, not sure about the bike.  Aside from being a bit thick-headed today, I'm feeling pretty good.

My thanks to whoever called the ambulance and looked after me.  I have a vague recollection of talking to a male Asian rider before they put me in the ambulance, who may have been part of a group who were just in front of me.  I was truly out of it at the scene.

And thanks to the EBC for a great event.  I thought the support at the rest stops was really well organized and saw a number of SAG wagons on the route.  I'm not a big fan of the "houses of the rich and famous," but the route was scenic in other ways, and lots of fun to ride ... until that @#$&ing tree jumped out in front of me.  I was also a pleasure to meet the early-arriving ChainLinkers.

Ilter and I were there, keeping our usual pace.  We started later (9:30 or so) and had an extended stay at one of the rests.  I really wish I hadn't read this and found out that there was Pizza to be had, if only we had ridden faster. 

As it happened, we rolled up to an empty park and a pile of garbage (sadface).  One of the folks behind us was leaving to ride back to Berwyn (hardcore!).  Ilter rode back to Lakeview and I drove back to the suburbs.  My ride probably doesn't actually count because I was doping (sudafed and DayQuil).  Please don't mention it to the USADA, I have my tour titles to defend.

Thanks, James.  I'm following doctor's orders: resting for 48 hours and watching for changes in my mental state.  So far, so good.  I wish I could recall what happened, 'cause I find it passing strange that I had no other injuries ... not so much as a nick.  It seems to me that I must have been conscious and somewhat under control when it happened, as opposed to having blacked out on the bike.  Else I'd likely have had other injuries.  Maybe it'll come back to me ...

James BlackHeron said:

Ouch, that sounds positively horrible David.  

I hope everything turns out well from this point on and you don't suffer any future complications. Head injuries can be a real issue. Get well and don't worry about your bike. It will be OK. A big hearty thumbs up to everyone who helped you out and made sure you were taken care of, safe, and comfortable post-crash.

This is the first I heard about any serious incidents at the event.  I was a bit worried about my wife on the half-century as I wasn't there with her in case anything would have gone wrong.  I was very happy to see and hug her at the end.

David Holmquist said:

I'm a bit embarrassed to submit my ride report, but here goes.  

I started out on the Metric at about 6:40 AM after riding 19 miles from Oak Park to Evanston.  My plan was to ride back to Oak Park after the event for a full 100 miles ... my first century.

The last thing I remember about the ride was turning eastbound on Tower Road just past mile 55.  Apparently I lost control of the bike a quarter-mile further on at the turn south onto Sheridan, went off the road, and hit a tree.

Headfirst.  I was wearing a Giro Hex, which now has a small dent over my left temple, and a crack through the foam underneath it.

I have no actual recollection of what happened or exactly where or, for that matter, when.  (I'll be curious to see the police report when I go back for my bike, which is locked up at the Winnetka police station.  I also don't know what condition the bike is in, now I think about it.)

The next thing I remember was waking up in the emergency room at Evanston Hospital strapped to a backboard and in a neck collar.  Long story short, I was diagnosed with concussion, had a head CT, was observed for a few hours and released in time to watch lots of riders go by on Ridge Road (the hospital is at mile 60 of the Metric route, on Ridge at Central) while I waited for a friend to pick me up.

Bummer!

Thankfully, no neck or shoulder injury.  Aside from the helmet damage and a bruise on my temple, the only ding to my body or clothes was a small scuff on the left shoulder of my jacket.  As I say, not sure about the bike.  Aside from being a bit thick-headed today, I'm feeling pretty good.

My thanks to whoever called the ambulance and looked after me.  I have a vague recollection of talking to a male Asian rider before they put me in the ambulance, who may have been part of a group who were just in front of me.  I was truly out of it at the scene.

And thanks to the EBC for a great event.  I thought the support at the rest stops was really well organized and saw a number of SAG wagons on the route.  I'm not a big fan of the "houses of the rich and famous," but the route was scenic in other ways, and lots of fun to ride ... until that @#$&ing tree jumped out in front of me.  I was also a pleasure to meet the early-arriving ChainLinkers.

Head injuries are unpredictable. I suspect you bonked, got a bit lightheaded and lost control while awake.  Your amnesia seems to indicate you had a concussion. You hit the delete button on your short term memory.  I did this when I was a kid.  We were playing dodge ball in a back yard. I turned, ran head first into a tree.  The next thing I recall is I was sitting in the kid's basement watching TV.  I was told that I had said ouch and we all went into the house.  That was long before  the recent awareness of head injuries. I didn't even go to an ER.  If you were a high school athlete you would be kept off the field until you passed a baseline test.  Its hard to not be self deluding, "Hey, I'm good." when self testing for mental status.  Rely on your co workers and/ or signficant others as to whether you are yourself. Take a couple days off the bike even if you feel good.  Good luck with your recovery. Odds are you are just fine and that your bike suffered the worst injury.  Let hope this is the case.  Also, time for a new helmet.  The old one goes in the trophy case.

Sorry to hear about your crash. I hope that your recovery goes smoothly and that you have no serious long-term effects.  I can tell you from experience that Dave Barish's suggestions are good ones.  Take it one day at a time and allow your body time to recover.  Even if you think you feel fine, take it easy a little longer.  Head injuries are definitely a bit unpredictable.  If your body gives you signals that it's not quite ready to go, it's not a bad idea to listen to those signals and take it easy a little longer.

Definitely time for a new helmet when you're ready to ride again. That old one did its duty.

David Holmquist said:

Thanks, James.  I'm following doctor's orders: resting for 48 hours and watching for changes in my mental state.  So far, so good.  I wish I could recall what happened, 'cause I find it passing strange that I had no other injuries ... not so much as a nick.  It seems to me that I must have been conscious and somewhat under control when it happened, as opposed to having blacked out on the bike.  Else I'd likely have had other injuries.  Maybe it'll come back to me ...

Oh man; I didn't even know you guys were riding! If you left at 9:30, what time did you return to Evanston? 

Adam Z said:

Ilter and I were there, keeping our usual pace.  We started later (9:30 or so) and had an extended stay at one of the rests.  I really wish I hadn't read this and found out that there was Pizza to be had, if only we had ridden faster. 

As it happened, we rolled up to an empty park and a pile of garbage (sadface).  One of the folks behind us was leaving to ride back to Berwyn (hardcore!).  Ilter rode back to Lakeview and I drove back to the suburbs.  My ride probably doesn't actually count because I was doping (sudafed and DayQuil).  Please don't mention it to the USADA, I have my tour titles to defend.

Very enjoyable century plus 22 extra miles for dessert! My commute to work this morning really got all that lactic acid flowin out of me! Good job all who organized and the great company on the road. 

David, Anne ... thanks for the kind words and excellent advice.  I think David's suspicion is right: that I bonked and lost it while awake.  And I am keeping people around me to help with the monitoring.  It doesn't hurt my feelings in the least to take it easy for a few days.

Thanks again!

Hey Jim, it was 7:05pm or so when we came back to the park.  First tailwind, then pizza.. what else did we miss?

Over-the-counter medicine is indeed strong. Around mile 60 or so I noticed I was not drafting Adam anymore. He popped another pill sometime later & things quickly went back to normal ;)

Jim S said:

Oh man; I didn't even know you guys were riding! If you left at 9:30, what time did you return to Evanston? 

Adam Z said:

[snip]

My ride probably doesn't actually count because I was doping (sudafed and DayQuil).  Please don't mention it to the USADA, I have my tour titles to defend.

Damn, you darn near caught up to us at the end.  You either didn't pause at any of the rest stops or you were riding a hella lot faster than us (or both.)

ilter said:

Hey Jim, it was 7:05pm or so when we came back to the park.  First tailwind, then pizza.. what else did we miss?

Over-the-counter medicine is indeed strong. Around mile 60 or so I noticed I was not drafting Adam anymore. He popped another pill sometime later & things quickly went back to normal ;)

wait, what? We rolled in to Evanston around 4, if I remember correctly.

James BlackHeron said:

Damn, you darn near caught up to us at the end.  You either didn't pause at any of the rest stops or you were riding a hella lot faster than us (or both.)

ilter said:

I am sorry I mentioned pizza, but just to keep the record straight, it was at the last rest stop. Since I only did the 50 I was there around noon or so.  You poor folks who did the century--even leaving at 6:30 a.m.--apparently did not have a chance.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service