The Chainlink

I've been hearing rumors that North Avenue Beach was closed do to out of control thugs  and gangbangers groping and assaulting people, not due to heat, as has been widely reported.  Rumors of cyclists knocked from their bikes... I know a few cyclists were picked up and dropped in the lake by some thugs early last month. The sources are somewhat suspect, but I wanted to know if anyone had heard or experienced anything.  Generally my least favorite part of the trail, but I'm debating whether to avoid it completely this summer. As the CPD is undergoing regime change, we should be diligent about reporting incidents like this, even if front-line CPD staff are dismissive... so that resources get allotted appropriately.

Views: 2264

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Crain's:

“On the retail side, in late 2010 to the first quarter of 2011, there was definitely an uptick in reports of groups of young people periodically doing this theft activity,” says John Chikow, CEO of the Greater North Michigan Avenue Assn. “It seemed to come to a boil in February, when it was starting to look like a pattern.”

At that point, he says, the retailers began “better coordinating” with the Chicago Police Department and ramping up private security. The police have also begun monitoring social media sites. As a result, multiple sources say large-scale organized theft along Michigan Avenue has decreased in the past few months.

Are these kids out of school for the year already?
I read this as "hose patrol" at first...
I wonder if fire hosing the hooligans would actually work?  Just a thought. 

James Baum said:
I read this as "hose patrol" at first...
Horses have hoses...

I saw the ATV patrols too.

So just avoid weekends and holidays, head to Edgewater or Rogers Park MYOB and have fun at the beach.

There was a pretty large police presence on LFP south of the museum campus, I ran into quite a few bike cops and suvs patrolling the path.  So it looks like they're taking things at least somewhat seriously.

The police should also be monitering the points of entry tO the beach.

Red line stops at Chicago Ave. Ave. Division/North

Blue line Grand Ave.

North Ave. bus directly to the beach intersecting with Red, Blue lines.

Red and Blue run 24/7 so don't get lost in your I-pad/phone or wear your earbuds. Pay attention! and be safe peoples.

TV news tonight reported two more of these assaults around UIC. One was at Racine and Roosevelt and the other nearby.
There have been assaults and robberies near UIC fairly frequently over the last year.  Many of them have gotten little or no press coverage, but I've heard about them through campus alerts because I've been taking classes through UIC.

Vando said:
TV news tonight reported two more of these assaults around UIC. One was at Racine and Roosevelt and the other nearby.
Yes, it has been happening and, yes, you should report criminal activity or suspected activity every single time that you see it.  The squeaky wheel gets the grease....

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service