"Momentum Wild" paintings exhibit in Wicker Park celebrates the Chicago bike scene

Today Grid Chicago checks out Momentum Wild, an exhibit of paintings by
local artist Brian Morgan featuring iconic scenes of Windy City cycling.

Read the story here.

Keep moving forward,

John Greenfield

Views: 200

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I really like the one of the tamale triker.
Me too, but I must admit I'm slightly bothered that the painting shows him selling tamales, elotes and sodas. There's no way he could carry hot tamales, cold sodas and the fixings for elotes (Mexican-style corn-on-the-cob with mayo, Parkay, grated Parmesan-type cheese, chili and sometimes lemon or lime) all in that one small box. Unrealistic!
Elotes Locos! lol.
Brian said that painting was inspired by a real guy with ape hangers on his box bike, but he didn't take a photograph, so I'm wondering if it really says that on the guy's box or if Brian just made that up.

The painting is unreal but very cool. It reminds me of the Mexican icecream guy that comes to our shop with his white wall tires, pimped out chainring and dope cruiser seat.

Yeah, I think food vendor utility bikes is a subset of Chicago bike culture that needs to be explored. It would be really cool if someone, maybe a bilingual person, wanted to interview some of these guys about their rides and write it up as a guest post for Grid Chicago.
I wish I had the time to go around chasing down just the blinging carts. It would have to be more than one guy to make it a good story.
A friend of mine wrote a good article about the tamale guys who visit bars, but it involved a lot of running around to every tavern in Ukrainian Village and it was hard to get those guys to stand still for 60 seconds to talk - they were hustling to make money.
saw them putting these up before the show. I like the images.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service