The Chainlink

McGrath Lexus Driving Into Traffic at Elston & Division - Insights Needed

Twice during my morning commutes on Elston, I've seen individuals* leave the McGrath Lexus main entrance by turning left into the right hand lane and driving until they can get around the line of cars waiting at the intersection or until there is a small opening in the line of cars that they can get through. Both times this has occured I have been in the right lane and the car has been headed directly towards me.  For those of you who ride Elston, be careful!

I get that the company is placed at an awkward spot for a left turn - my guess is they are 25 feet or less from the light. And you bet your bottom dollar I'd be frustrated as a driver trying to turn left at an intersection that regularly has lines of cars at a stop light. That being said, this is extremely dangerous, especially on a road often traveled by cyclists. Before I stop into the dealership to speak with a manager about this, I wanted to see if any of you have had similar experiences? If so, can you send me as many details as possible, as I want to stress the graveness of this situation.

*I'm 90% sure it has been the same person both times, but I'm giving this the benefit of the doubt

Views: 5501

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Katie,

Video has taken a few days to set up, but we are live with emphasis on morning commute. We will monitor for a week and report our findings. The company wide E-mail blast should have deterred the employee, if it was in fact an employee. I will report next week with the findings. Please let me know if anything occurs sooner.

-John

I gotta say that I'm impressed with Mr. Douglass' proactive response.

David

+1

David A. Pertuz said:

I gotta say that I'm impressed with Mr. Douglass' proactive response.

David

Hi John,

Thank you much! Sadly, I'm pretty wretched at describing vehicles. The ones I saw were SUVs of a greyish color, driving by a man with dark hair. I hope that's at least somewhat helpful.

On my morning's commute - the first day I took Elston since Monday - I had no problems at all. I really appreciate this!

Best,
Katie

Truthfully they should just have "no left turns" at all exits on both streets, it's just too dangerously close to the intersection with too much traffic. Cars moving into the oncoming lane is so common all over the city yet so dangerous.

Funny thing is making all right turns is faster even if you have to go further (we implement UPS Logistics for our drivers, and that's pretty much half of it right there).

Katie - was that you I passed about 5:15ish this morning? - I made a comment about the street lights working again.

Hello Katie,

We have reviewed just over a week of tape and have found several culprits. Two of which were our own. The situation has been addressed internally and we assure you that it will cease. We did also found that there were at least three drivers cutting through in order to avoid the sometimes lenghty left turn onto Elston. Local law enforcement has been notified, and we assured that anyone caught will be ticketed. Please keep me informed of any further issues and please accept our apologies. Thank you for bringng this to our attention.

John Douglass

McGrath Lexus of Chicago

Thanks, John, for making the streets and sidewalks near your business safer for cyclists, pedestrians and other motorists.

+1

Thunder Snow said:

Thanks, John, for making the streets and sidewalks near your business safer for cyclists, pedestrians and other motorists.

As somebody who regularly rides through this intersection, I sincerely appreciate the positive response and action taken by the folks at the Lexus dealership. Top notch work. Thank you!

+2

Julie Hochstadter said:

+1

Thunder Snow said:

Apologies Cameron. I have had a word with both drivers this morning and showed them your post. They are now most aware of the bike lane and have promised to be more careful.

John Douglass

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service