The Chainlink

There was a recent discussion on business that block bike lanes.  How about one that covers businesses that go out of their way to accommodate cyclists?

First up - I'd like to nominate  Delaware Dental at Delaware and State.  They are a very nice husband and wife practice that takes all kinds of insurance.  They're on the third floor, but it is not a problem to take your bike on the elevator.  There's a room within the practice to keep your bike, and no one bats an eye when I show up on two wheels in my bike gear.

Defying all stereotypes, my doc doesn't ride a $13,000 Pinarello.  In fact, he's not a cyclist at all.

So who else wants to recommend a business where you are not treated like a criminal for wanting to bring your ride inside, or like a child molester for wearing bike clothes?

Views: 2378

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've seen this thread a zillion times, but just now realized I should have posted something here some time ago.

Thomas West Salon (2nd floor of Merchandise Mart)  http://www.thomaswestsalon.com/

Earlier this year, on a slushy February morning, I showed up for a scheduled cut and realized I had forgotten my lock.  They were great about letting me bring my very messy bike into the salon; when I expressed surprise that they were so accommodating, I was told they thought it great that I was riding and they were happy to help out.

Cemitas Puebla

http://www.cemitaspuebla.com/

3619 W. North Avenue  Chicago, IL 60647

Several weeks ago I stopped by to pick-up a phoned-in order and realized I'd forgotten my lock.  It can get busy/crowded on a Friday night, and even though I'm often there, I was feeling very sheepish about wheeling in my bike while I paid and waited for my order to be ready.

One of the cooks (I'm ashamed to say I don't know his name; it was not either of the brothers, Alex and Tony) noticed me bringing it in, and as he watched me, I subsequently asked if it would be ok to do so.

The response I got said everything:  "Bikes are always welcome here!"  Not a begrudging "Uh....ok" or a confused look that signaled he wasn't sure what to say, just "Bikes are always welcome here."

I have loved this restaurant since discovering it shortly after moving here 5 years ago, but these days I'm somehow loving it even more.

That place is SO GOOD!

I am reluctant to post this store...but I have always had good experiences with them, so here goes.

Performance cycles on Halsted...

There, I said it.

The reason is, I bought some accessories and they were really cool about loaning me the tools to put them on my bike...I did it right there in the store. I didn't think it was extra-ordinary, but I read here, in this thread, that some stores will try to make you pay for this service.

New Kedzie Cleaners at the NE corner of Kedzie & Armitage always lets me bring my bike in.

Marriott O'Hare on West Higgins road

My work is taking me there for meetings the entire week. They are probably unaware of it, but they have a very nice bike valet: Rid your bike to the front door, walk it into the foyer and hand it to the bell-hop. He will store it in the luggage room. No need to lock it. On your way out, tip the bell hop a few bucks and he hands you your bike back. Smooth!

Meanwhile, my coworkers were complaining that the parking lot was nearly full...

And they also let you take your bike into your room...

Fleet Feet, Lincoln Square. They let me bring my bike in the shop on a busy Saturday afternoon while I bought some socks and stuff. Great folks, bike friendly. A number of cyclists on staff.

This is an important thread.  Anyone had luck being allowed to fix a flat inside when its cold outside?

I've used a Starbucks before. Not that I want to promote them as a business though. It's possible that the employees took pity though since I was changing a flat with both kids in tow and in the cold on Lincoln didn't see like the best solution otherwise.

Eye Candy Optics on Division between Leavitt and Hoyne is super bike friendly. The owners ride and welcome bikes inside their store. 

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service