The Chainlink

Does anyone know if the lakefront trail is rideable right now? I want to ride from 53rd Hyde Park to Belmont. Anyone have any recent experience with what patches I should expect? I know the S curve is probably still coated, but anyone know anything else?

Views: 1058

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

strong N-NE winds tomorrow (tuesday)

I will avoid the path as Fullerton & Oak St curve may not be passable.

I just got the report (by cell phone from my car-commuting spouse travelling along LSD) that the path at Fullerton is basically underwater and the rest of the path looks to be a misery with the gusting wind and water. Ordinarily I take those sorts of phone calls as a special challenge to defy, but I must be dressed presentably at work today, alas, so it's the CTA for me...

I was so tempted to ride with the Northerly wind I thought "I could coast all the way in!" but alas I did not relish the thought of being slammed into cars on the way back home. When I was younger I would have chanced it, but the older I get the more I tend to choose safety and "lameness" :)

Getting home in one piece, uninjured, is not a bad thing.  ;)

Chris B said:

I was so tempted to ride with the Northerly wind I thought "I could coast all the way in!" but alas I did not relish the thought of being slammed into cars on the way back home. When I was younger I would have chanced it, but the older I get the more I tend to choose safety and "lameness" :)

You can always put it on the bus.

I saw the weather and thought the temps weren't too bad out then I realized those were wind speeds!
Chris B said:

Riding into the wind from the west side wasn't so bad (except for one gust that almost brought me to a standstill).  It was gusts that came around buildings at intersections and almost blew me into the curb as I was slowing down that were rough.  

On the upside, I was working hard enough that wasn't cold at all. :-)

I took the trail (southbound) from Wilson and had a blast.  At some points I was actually accelerating without pedaling.  And I was able to make it to downtown without getting my feet wet.  I took the gravel path at Fullerton and at the other spots I just timed my ride around the crashing waves.  A couple of times I was swamped, but I was able to lift my feet up and the wind kept my forward momentum going.  I saw a cool thing at the Diversey channel: the water running down the concrete was being blown back up at the edge in a concentrated mist.  It looked like an upside-down waterfall.  I'll be taking Dearborn north tonight; that's usually sheltered from a north wind, at least until you get to the end at North where there's one of the most intense wind tunnels I've experienced in the city.

I have been away for a while, back to work tomorrow. Is the path condition passable from the north side to mc cormick place?

Oak Street corner still had some rough ice tonight; there is a narrow path right along the wall that is clear  except for ~10 yards at the north end.  South of Fullerton had one icy area but was clear on the outside.  The Fullerton bypass was very wet and muddy last night.  Enjoy.

Monroe Harbor through Hyde Park is essentially clear, with some wet / icy patches around McCormick Place (particularly on the east side of McCormick Place), and with a puddle / broken ice mess south of the 41st street beach house.  Very, very ridable.

The last post on the ATA feed was december 23, has anyone been on the path today? Is it plowed? Rideable?

I rode the bus along Lake Shore Drive this morning and looked longingly at the LFP.  The portions I saw didn't look plowed (from Belmont to Michigan).  I saw one rider making a go of it, but he was out of the saddle and looked to be huffing-and-puffing to make progress.  Hopefully, now that Xmas has passed, the CPD will plow the path today.

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service