http://votewithyourfeetchicago.blogspot.com

This week Vote With Your Feet talks with Chicago artist Kat Ramsland
about her new installation “1000 Ghost Bikes: A New Chicago Monument,”
opening this Saturday June 6 from 4-6 pm at Lill Street Arts Center,
4401 N. Ravenswood, along with along with bike-related works by Jay Strommen,
Nancy Anderson and Elizabeth Groeschen.

Ramsland discusses her process of collecting stories from dozens of
Chicagoans who wished to dedicate miniature ceramic bicycles to a loved ones
who were hurt or killed in crashes. She has assembled the bikes and stories into
a monument honoring these cyclists.

Keep on walking, biking and transit-ing,

John Greenfield

Views: 210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey folks,

The opinions and statements in the interview itself are the subject's, not mine.

As for ghosts sometimes being installed at non-fatal crash sites, this is true and
I'll edit my description of ghost bikes in the intro. However, I think it's a little confusing
to install a ghost bike at a non-fatal crash site since the name ghost bike suggests
someone has died. Also, I believe all Chicago ghost bikes mark the sites of fatalities.

Thanks for the feedback.

John Greenfield

h3 said:
willow naeco said:
Howard -- Kat's (already public) e-mail is kramsland (yahoo) if you want to ask her about her crash rate statement.

Was actually directing the question at John, thanks.
So you've never talked to anyone who 'got it'? I've spent a lot of time at GB sites and people tend to be very curious, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone not understand what they were looking at upon reasonably close observation (not talking about people driving by at 45 MPH, but certainly drivers stopped at lights in addition to cyclists and pedestrians).
The most frequent question they ask is "did it happen recently", "who puts these here"-- almost never "what is that for?"
This is Kat and I am super excited that you guys have so much to say. I fully admit that I am by no means an expert and I am grateful for all the feedback so far. Go ahead let me have it.
here are a few responses to what has been said.
1. I personally have never seen a Ghost Bike that wasn't placed as a fatality memorial. but of course, I haven't seen every Ghost Bike, not even all the ones in Chicago.
2. The signage definitely helps. However, sometimes there isn't a name or any explanation. There is one right up on Irving Park Road that has absolutely no signage. also, if there is existing signage it sometimes becomes illegible after being waterlogged or snowed on, sometimes the sign just doesn't stay put. also, I find that your average pedestrian is simply not aware. I have a friend who wanted to use an abandoned bike for advertising purposes. He wanted to cover it in flowers. I asked him not to leave it white, to paint it some other color, any other color, out of respect for the Ghost Bike tradition, but he didn't even know what I was talking about. He lives right on Armitage and Humbolt where there is an incredibly obvious Ghost Bike.
3. that whole thing about the Ghost Bike effectiveness was also a complete surprise to me. I had an entire interview planned and after Carl said that, I was completely derailed. i mean, holy.... but that is what was said.
4. as for the statistics. I've gotten most of my statistics from 3 sources... Pedal Power, ATA, and a new book out called Pedaling Revolution. but I completely admit that these statistics are incredibly hard to quantify.
dude- the statistics have been a huge obstacle for me in this thesis paper. what I did, was take a single year (2006) for Chicago statistics versus the statistics that I found in other major cities and did a comparison. it was the only way I could think of. If you give that new statistic any sort of credence, then we tie with new york city for the highest cycling collisions in the US. but again, take that for what you would, I intended it to simply be a reflection for the safety issues at hand. also, Dr. John Pucher has done a huge study of American bicycling data. his work is awesome... really complicated numbers... but awesome.
that actually answers a lot...
The gallery exhibit is small, but will be running for a few more days- Lillstreet has been awesome about giving me the space. and the monument is up pernamently. I would love to interview you sometime if youre interested. I can bribe you with coffee or tea...
kat
I think I could square away a chimichanga! mark- would you come too? are you involved with chicago's ghost bikes?
We dedicated a small ghost bike to Jerry Williams yesterday (6/18/09) as part of this monument. Jerry was a member of the Evanston Bike Club who died on a club ride when he hit a bad bump on Avondale and fell. He was 81, and had led a full life.

Kate's monument served as a very nice focal point for a memorial get together in a way that the 5900 block of Avondale wouldn't have done. We had over 50 people show up -- about half riding there due to the forecast of thunderstorms. We planted some flowers, lit some candles, and shared some stories.

I can't compare and contrast Kate's work to the other ghost bike activity in Chicago because I've not been active in that.
http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/Main/index.aspx Traffic fatalities reports.
I was there. It was a positive event. Some of Jerry's family members were there. His grandson rode Jerry's bike to the ghost bike installation along with the EBC group.

Bob Dole said:
We dedicated a small ghost bike to Jerry Williams yesterday (6/18/09) as part of this monument. Jerry was a member of the Evanston Bike Club who died on a club ride when he hit a bad bump on Avondale and fell. He was 81, and had led a full life.....

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service