The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138532

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Not today but yesterday.  Evening winds out of the west were about 20 mph gusting to 30. My rides was north and west.  Spin, spin,  spin.  The flakes were fun. The ice was not a problem. The wind was a reminder to keep pedaling and not worry about speed.

head winds all the way to work today...

Yesterday, I had folks asking me if I was going to ride home in the flash snow showers. My response-- "After fighting that headwind all the way into work, I'm definitely going to make it blow me home!"

Red wing blackbirds are out along the lake this week.  Temperature aside, Spring is here.

Let's be careful out there!

I had a tire blowout on the way in today. Luckily I had a $10 bill to temporarily patch the busted tire and an extra tube....

Except my spare tube had a hole in it, good thing that I had my patch kit...

Except that I couldn't get the patch to cure/seal in the cold (?)....on either one of my 2 tubes....

It's only 7:40, no bike shops open for at least another hour or so....guess I need to hop on the bus...

I left my CTA ChicagoCard at home...

Ugh, ended up hailing an SUV cab and taking it the rest of the way into work. I almost rage quit my day by going home and using a PTO day instead. I was SO frustrated. The frustration was compounded by the fact that I couldn't get any of the other bike commuters riding past to stop and help (!!). All I needed was a tube (third ones a charm?), I would have given someone $10 for it. One nice older gentlemen stopped and offered his patch kit, but by then I had already burned through my own patches. Patches on patches never work.

Not feeling the bike commuter solidarity today.

Will - yikes!  When it rains, it pours.  If you end up riding home, wishing you a much better ride!

Will - Did you get a tube?? I have a 700x23-25 (We work at the same place/floor) if you need it. 

Sheesh. That sounds absolutely horrific. I don't know if he would be able to help but pedal to the people (773 three five five 0882) might have been able to get to ya. Still remember a couple of weeks ago run walking bike dragging cause of chain issues.

Will G - 10mi said:

I had a tire blowout on the way in today. Luckily I had a $10 bill to temporarily patch the busted tire and an extra tube....

Except my spare tube had a hole in it, good thing that I had my patch kit...

Except that I couldn't get the patch to cure/seal in the cold (?)....on either one of my 2 tubes....

It's only 7:40, no bike shops open for at least another hour or so....guess I need to hop on the bus...

I left my CTA ChicagoCard at home...

Ugh, ended up hailing an SUV cab and taking it the rest of the way into work. I almost rage quit my day by going home and using a PTO day instead. I was SO frustrated. The frustration was compounded by the fact that I couldn't get any of the other bike commuters riding past to stop and help (!!). All I needed was a tube (third ones a charm?), I would have given someone $10 for it. One nice older gentlemen stopped and offered his patch kit, but by then I had already burned through my own patches. Patches on patches never work.

Not feeling the bike commuter solidarity today.

Jenn, thanks for the offer but I think at this point I am just going to sit tight until I get a new tire too, the gash is pretty big. I have the bike locked up inside so I feel good leaving it there until I can get a tire too. I do really appreciate the offer though!

Jenn_5.5 mi said:

Will - Did you get a tube?? I have a 700x23-25 (We work at the same place/floor) if you need it. 

There's a Trek store on Michigan around Harrison that I've used for daytime emergencies before.  Probably not so handy unless you're around the south part of the loop, but there it is.

There is a secret bike room. Talk to building management. You should be able to get a key, sometimes they are reluctant, be pushy about it, tell them to go and see how full that room really is, be persistent. Let me know what they say. (The problem is that it really isn't that big, if we squeezed though we could probably fit 20 or so bikes in there?)

Also, I decided to try to make it home last night with a dollar bill and piece of thin cardboard over the gash inside my tire and a borrowed tube. I made it to Cozy's on Erie, bought three new tubes, and then made it all the way to Clark and Diversey before having another blow out. I change tubes and made it ONLY. 3. BLOCKS. before blowing out again. I called myself an idiot for even trying, hung my head, and carried my bike to the red line. Swapped out tires when I got home and made it in without a problem this morning.

Cameron 7.5 mi said:

As a nosey office mate, mind if I ask where you found this secure indoor parking? I promise that I'm not trying to steal your bike.

Will G - 10mi said:

Jenn, thanks for the offer but I think at this point I am just going to sit tight until I get a new tire too, the gash is pretty big. I have the bike locked up inside so I feel good leaving it there until I can get a tire too. I do really appreciate the offer though!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service