The Chainlink

Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138536

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There's one taxi-heavy intersection I use every evening where I sit in the left turn lane, waiting to turn like I might in a car. Taxi drivers regularly honk at me for not taking opportunities that I, as a bike rider, probably could pull off. It is, indeed, a kind of "you can't win" situation. I wish there were some way to communicate to drivers that they can't expect us to follow the traffic rules and then get miffed at us when our observance of such rules makes it impossible for them to opportunistically violate the same rules.

Robert Underwood said:

nice ride in except a taxi that thought me making a left turn was totally rude.  I mean, he had to go around me... like, what was I thinking? honked, sped up and swerved within inches of me.  Still, lovey day for cycling.

It was about the same temp for me. I probably dressed a bit light for the 18-20 temps, but that motivated me to ride a little faster. My legs have a pleasant soreness to them.

I'm expecting a tailwind going home today. We're moving soon and I need to get some more bubble wrap home from the office, so I'm going to try strapping a roll of the stuff to my backpack. Hopefully it will improve my sail-like properties. :-)

I though we were done with the teens and expecting low 30s. So I also rode a little bit faster than usual and had the thighs cold, core overheated phenomenon. BUT, to my surprise, there were four other riders I haven't seen all winter, maybe because their commute time is just that wee bit earlier. So done with this masters class of what to pack and wear for chiberia 2013/14.

The groundhog was delicious.

Kris Hendry said:

I thought it gets warmer in the month of May? I guess the ground hog was right.

Have tried to figure out what this is, but can't.  What is it?

Gene Tenner said:

I rode. I cursed at the continued cold.  Then, I wryly smiled when I remembered that, yes, this is literally one of the most miserable Chicago winters, and I continue to ride through it all most of it.

This is a view of the ice at Belmont Harbor, Lisa. It is the same spot as the bottom photo but looking almost straight down. I think the footprints are from ducks. The dark spots are collections of dirt, methinks.

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

Have tried to figure out what this is, but can't.  What is it?

18F but I did the commute.

I rode, of course. I'm surprised by the complaining I keep hearing about the cold (not necessarily here). I mean, I get it - it's supposed to be warmer than this. But I loved this weather, when it rarely happened back in January and February, and that continues to be my honest-to-goodness reaction - loving that it'll be mid-thirties for the evening commute. Any day it doesn't dip into the single-digits is a no-complaining-allowed day, for me. 

I mean, it's sunny, and the snow is mostly gone. We're getting more than 12 hours of daylight now. You can bike through Oak on the LFP. Season's on, as far as I'm concerned. I can't help but laugh at the racers I only see when it hits 50. 

@simon_phearson : I gotta agree now, it's ridiculously nice out. I was just caught totally stupidly my fault off guard by this am's ride and was a cold then overheated mess. It got warm quickly after 7:30 or so.

Then again, I was just informed that there is a group of swimmers that swim all year long outside in Lake Michigan. Foxtrot no. You Tri folks way crazier than winter bike commuting.

http://openwaterchicago.com

The sun makes a world of difference, too, I've noticed. I'm so used to biking in the dark that I had to learn to plan my gear based on where the sun will be. 

What's the layering difference between 18 and 35, for you? In that range I'll drop a pair of socks and a balaclava, but I tend to want to keep my warm middle layer on the core, and I'm still rocking the tights. I'll also prefer my lobster gloves to my thin gloves, which don't really seem suitable until the mid-40s. Overall my gear doesn't change that much; I'll just sweat a bit more. 

grayn8 (5.3 - 36) said:

@simon_phearson : I gotta agree now, it's ridiculously nice out. I was just caught totally stupidly my fault off guard by this am's ride and was a cold then overheated mess. It got warm quickly after 7:30 or so.

Then again, I was just informed that there is a group of swimmers that swim all year long outside in Lake Michigan. Foxtrot no. You Tri folks way crazier than winter bike commuting.

http://openwaterchicago.com

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service