Nice first ride in the COLD.

Views: 138963

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm sure you looked so cute!

Lisa Curcio 4.1 mi said:

Riding from Wicker Park again and switched back to the upright bike with the chain guard.  Wearing my work clothes with light gloves and a light jacket.  Love it!

Does it basically let you twist your foot less to get out? I was on 15 or 20 degrees I think. It was way too much. Also, do you have a specific model you recommend? Thanks.

Julie Hochstadter said:

totally agree. I like mine looser, esp in this weather.

Yasmeen said:

SPD has a "quick release" version and you can adjust it to allow your foot to come out more easily - especially in an emergency. When I first transitioned, I had a few nasty falls (not being able to unclip in time), switched to quick release, and I stopped falling. 

Now it feels more natural and I kept popping out of the pedals when sprinting so I had them adjusted to a tighter setting.

With quick release, you still twist your foot under normal conditions but in an emergency, you can yank your foot out straight up. When you adjust to a loose setting, it's a lot easier to come out of the pedal.

Shimano SPD pedals with "quick release" cleats. Your favorite bike shop should have them in stock - just call ahead to confirm.

Thanks!

Yasmeen said:

With quick release, you still twist your foot under normal conditions but in an emergency, you can yank your foot out straight up. When you adjust to a loose setting, it's a lot easier to come out of the pedal.

Shimano SPD pedals with "quick release" cleats. Your favorite bike shop should have them in stock - just call ahead to confirm.

had my rain jacket.  in my panniers.  no time to switch jackets.  gah.

Any waterproof glove recommendations for fall anyone? I'm sick of cold,wet hands.

I picked up a pair of Head running gloves at Costco for cheap.  Not sure about waterproof per se, but they are definitely wicking.  I wore them in a drizzle and had no issues.  As a bonus, they have the grip dots and are touchscreen friendly.  I also picked up a pair of Paradox merino wool long-johns at the same time.  Wore those this morning, I will be picking up a couple of extras if they still have them there

Wolf-Pup said:

Any waterproof glove recommendations for fall anyone? I'm sick of cold,wet hands.

Harvest sun(rise)... Haven't seen any posts from Gene Tenner recently. Has he flown south for the winter? Anybody been in touch?

Skip

I'm partial to Glacier neoprene kayak gloves. Keep your hands warm in the rain, and they're nice and grippy.

Bez said:

I picked up a pair of Head running gloves at Costco for cheap.  Not sure about waterproof per se, but they are definitely wicking.  I wore them in a drizzle and had no issues.  As a bonus, they have the grip dots and are touchscreen friendly.  I also picked up a pair of Paradox merino wool long-johns at the same time.  Wore those this morning, I will be picking up a couple of extras if they still have them there

Wolf-Pup said:

first day for long johns for me this morning.  45 degrees is my threshold till i get acclimated

I am on hiatus as a Chainlink contributor.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Harvest sun(rise)... Haven't seen any posts from Gene Tenner recently. Has he flown south for the winter? Anybody been in touch?

Skip

Sorry to hear it. We miss you.

Gene Tenner said:

I am on hiatus as a Chainlink contributor.

Skip Montanaro 12mi said:

Skip

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service