The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17630

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I showed the bike lane to a friend from out of town to "show off". We saw an orange cone "guarding" a patch of ice at the northwest corner of Randolph and Dearborn. 

JimmyD said:

My current concern about the Dearborn lanes is the couple patches of ice I have spotted so far. I noticed there were a couple small potholes last week which bugged me since the lanes are new. Well, this week, I found that those same potholes had some ice in them. I'm glad I spotted it before my tires did!

Steven, that "patch of ice" was a huge puddle all last week that took up the entire southbound lane at the corner.  Glad they at least put up a warning since it is a disaster waiting to happen.  The pavement contour there is really bad, and I don't know what they can do to fix the drainage short of tearing the entire area up and putting in new with proper grade to drain correctly.

Jimmy, unfortunately they did not fix any of the bad pavement in the bike lanes when they put it in. Let's hope they get around to that soon!

Steven Vance said:

I showed the bike lane to a friend from out of town to "show off". We saw an orange cone "guarding" a patch of ice at the northwest corner of Randolph and Dearborn. 

JimmyD said:

My current concern about the Dearborn lanes is the couple patches of ice I have spotted so far. I noticed there were a couple small potholes last week which bugged me since the lanes are new. Well, this week, I found that those same potholes had some ice in them. I'm glad I spotted it before my tires did!

Ice mountain delivery man did not care that I was documenting his disregard for cyclist safety.

What should he have done instead?

Juan said:

Ice mountain delivery man did not care that I was documenting his disregard for cyclist safety.

Use the parking lane.

h' said:

Juan said:

My read from the picture is that there's no parking lane in that particular spot (the white car appears to be in motion.)  

Anne Alt said:

Use the parking lane.

h' said:

Juan said:

Ok, so with Ice mountain man's good example, this Lexus lady thought it was a great spot to park as well, until I started to snap photos of her also. She started pulling out, and yelling at me...

Based on this photo, it looks like there's a parking lane here. 

Juan said:

But then the Ice Mountain guy would have to walk an extra 12 feet!
Cameron Puetz said:

It also looks like the parking lane is available.

OK, so if there's a parking lane and we want the Ice  Mountain driver to use it, what's the next step?

h' said:

OK, so if there's a parking lane and we want the Ice  Mountain driver to use it, what's the next step?

Are we still waiting for the plates to be installed on the Dearborn bridge?  Or are they in now?

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service