The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17629

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The bine lane north of Kinzie was there well before the PBL went in. The left side lane is a death trap so I get over to the right lane as soon as I can.

Yes, Juan, that is the bike lane to nowhere.  I sometimes continue in the left lane up to Oak where I turn left and then get over to Clark which starts to be a two-way street and now has a buffered bike lane.

I left work a bit later than usual and was surprised at the number of people in the Dearborn PBL MOST of whom actually stopped at the red lights. ;-)

I'd love it if the protected lane could be extended all the way to Division. The current left side "door" lane from Kinzie to Chicago is a death trap.

Speaking of lanes to nowhere-- anyone ever pick up the Jackson lane eastbound heading east towards Halsted? it dumps you out on the left side of the street after you cross Halsted where cars are all shooting for the on-ramps. It's like it was thought out to intentionally kill as many cyclists as possible.

Why not have Dearborn's bike lane run up to North Ave and the park?  When I use Dearborn that's the path I take if I don't want to deal with all the traffic along the lake.

Eh, I figured to Division would be less work and north of Division, Dearborn is pretty tame. It's two ways and residential.

Tricolor said:

Why not have Dearborn's bike lane run up to North Ave and the park?  When I use Dearborn that's the path I take if I don't want to deal with all the traffic along the lake.

I rode the DBL today during lunch hour.  It was so lovely outside that I wasn't even crabby when I told all those pedestrians that they were standing in the bike lane. 

Anne Alt takes us on a tour of the Dearborn lane, on this video via the Trib. Great job, Anne!

Really nice, Anne.  I bet they cut out some other good stuff!

Last night I dined al fresco at Petterinos at the corner of Dearborn and Randolph.  During the course of my meal nearly 200 bicycles had passed by going both directions in the PBL. I felt like I should speak Dutch to the waiter.

HA!!!!

David Barish said:

Last night I dined al fresco at Petterinos at the corner of Dearborn and Randolph.  During the course of my meal nearly 200 bicycles had passed by going both directions in the PBL. I felt like I should speak Dutch to the waiter.

AWESOME! 

Michelle Stenzel said:

Anne Alt takes us on a tour of the Dearborn lane, on this video via the Trib. Great job, Anne!

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service