The Chainlink

I just missed the press conference and just hung out at lunch to see how it would all work. It seemed easy enough, so I took Dearborn as my starting route home to Roscoe Village. Normally I hit Franklin to Orleans then north to Lincoln.

I have to say, it was pretty easy and relatively safe. The ambassadors were helpful with the the auto traffic. The walkers were easy enough to avoid. I had to chuckle at two riders riding side by side in the lane.

What I didn't see was any oncoming traffic; southbound riders. I am guessing that will come in time or at other times during the day.

Way to go Mayor RE! This is really making a statement.

Who else rode the new path?

Views: 17627

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rode it south from Monroe to Polk a bit after rush hour. It was surreal. We stopped for the red bike signals and proceeded through the green ones. Car drivers respected the left turn arrows. I'm looking forward to riding it north on Monday.

It felt plenty protected by a row of parked cars between the bike lanes and the moving vehicular traffic lanes.

I second your sentiment about pioneers like Randy who stuck with their vision despite the odds against them.

And I can't wait for an east-west Loop route too! If another route doesn't happen sooner, we should at least see protected bike lanes on Washington and Randolph in 2014 as part of the Central Loop BRT project: http://brtchicago.com/brtloop.html . Can you picture the intersection of Dearborn and Washington in less than two years with intersecting protected bike lanes and new bus lanes and transit stations on Washington? Or a protected bike lane on Randolph with a seamless connection to the Lakefront Trail? Makes me giddy thinking about it.

Michelle Stenzel said:

Now we just need a good east-west route through the Loop! :)

When that happens Chicago will likely be at the top of the heap in the forward thinking, sustainable transportation category.  How exciting that will be!

Also, I have not had a chance to really look at the 2020 plan, yet.  I hope it includes some good routes for our friends coming from the south.

Lee Crandell said:

If another route doesn't happen sooner, we should at least see protected bike lanes on Washington and Randolph in 2014 as part of the Central Loop BRT project: http://brtchicago.com/brtloop.html . Can you picture the intersection of Dearborn and Washington in less than two years with intersecting protected bike lanes and new bus lanes and transit stations on Washington? Or a protected bike lane on Randolph with a seamless connection to the Lakefront Trail? Makes me giddy thinking about it.

Rode it both directions last night, northbound at 8 pm and southbound at 11. It was amazing! Northbound there were 5 separate cabs or cars using it as a loading zone, but there were none at 11. That was a bit annoying but I figured hat it was only the first day and they will learn. This will make my trips north so much safer and pleasant!

My friend and I rode into downtown just to check out the new bike lanes. (We live around O'hare.) It was really nice riding downtown in the lanes. We rode the whole route from the river to Polk and back again. A big shout out to the bike volunteers who we stopped to talk to. A fun ride!!

Here's our write-up of the ribbon cutting and ride on Grid Chicago:

http://gridchicago.com/2012/a-great-day-in-chicago-protected-lanes-...

Made me proud to ride a bike in Chicago!

John Greenfield

Does anyone know if the bike signals are timed for a green wave? That would be a good idea for getting bike traffic moving about 10-12 MPH to move quickly along Dearborn.

I haven't had the chance to try it out yet. Hopefully soon before it snows!

There was previous info, maybe even earlier in this thread, to the effect that this facility is not meant for speedy through-travel and that purposely there will be no timing of the lights to facilitate such (which sounds fine to me.)

Shaun Jacobsen said:

Does anyone know if the bike signals are timed for a green wave? That would be a good idea for getting bike traffic moving about 10-12 MPH to move quickly along Dearborn.

10mph, in my opinion, isn't "speedy." Signals for cars are different that signals for bikes: drivers don't exert a lot of energy to start moving after being stopped, people on bikes do. It would have been nice to have at least a few blocks worth of greens at a certain speed to at least move quickly through the Loop.

h' said:

There was previous info, maybe even earlier in this thread, to the effect that this facility is not meant for speedy through-travel and that purposely there will be no timing of the lights to facilitate such (which sounds fine to me.)

Shaun Jacobsen said:

The entire run from Polk to Kinzie is 1.2 miles.  If you rode the entire length at an average of 10 mph it would take about 10.5 minutes.  If you rode the entire length at an average of 15 mph it would take about 7 minutes.  In the broad scheme of things, if a two and a half minutes makes a difference in one's life, one should leave earlier!

The lights for cars are not coordinated.  If you were riding and stopping for lights, as required by law, it would not be any different.  The lanes are not intended to make it faster for bikes; they are intended to make it safer for bikes.

Shaun Jacobsen said:

10mph, in my opinion, isn't "speedy." Signals for cars are different that signals for bikes: drivers don't exert a lot of energy to start moving after being stopped, people on bikes do. It would have been nice to have at least a few blocks worth of greens at a certain speed to at least move quickly through the Loop.

My photos. I'm working on a ride-through video right now. 

No green wave. It was said by CDOT that it's not possible right now. Scroll to Dearborn Street section in this article.

Shaun Jacobsen said:

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service