The Chainlink

How many miles is your commute? ((read the OP before responding please, hunny-bunnies))

There seem to be a lot of discussions about gear, clothing, winter riding that don't take into account the sort of commutes people have; i.e. advice that applies to someone who rides 15 miles each way may not be useful to someone who rides 3 miles.  So I thought I'd propose that people add the (one-way) distance of their daily commute, or their most typical one-way distance for regular 'utility' (rather than social/fitness/recreational) rides after their user name and see if it helps, or at least provides a little added interest...

Views: 3255

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now that I see other Juans on the Chainlink, this became a good idea!

Holly said:

I thought it had something to do with fundraising :) My commute is varied. I don't even think of it as a commute because I walk dogs. I'm outside all day so I dress pretty differently than most commuters. (i.e.--there's always back up stuff in my bag in case I'm too cold or get wet.) I wouldn't say I've ever had an ideal winter situation as far as gear goes. I'm usually colder than I'd like to be because my stops are generally close together. Total M-F loop is in the 6-10 mile range.

You and I have completely opposite riding needs. I need to arrive looking like I didn't just get off my bike. No place to change (unless its on the street) and I need to be somewhat professionally dressed. Hard to meet these requirements as still be comfortable some days.

My commute varies from 6 miles round trip a day to 35+. Since its hard to know the road and trail conditions up and thru the north shore, I've been chickening out the last few days. Tomorrow is it though - my plan is to bike my entire 34 mile work day.
Let me get this straight: you bike 17 miles one way in your office clothes?
That is pretty amazing. Tip o' the hat to you!
I am a piano tuner. My "office" are my customers homes. Tomorrow, my day includes biking 17 miles to the area I am working in, biking between 5 peoples' homes within a 8 mile area and then heading home. I like biking to and from my appointments but my customers don't seem to appreciate it so much. What can I say - my job is weird.

Anika- that is super-cool. Are you able to combine bike and bus/train at times or does your equipment make that too difficult?

On a regular basis, my bag is about 30lbs which only slows me down but isn't cumbersome. I do find that metra and suburban bus schedules limit me though so I always try to not rely on them unless I am done for the day and heading home.
That's too cool!

I've long thought my next career move would be to try to do home health purely by bike and bus, but I still wouldn't be anywhere near as cool as a car-free traveling piano tuner.

I also walk pups for a living, though my usual loop is between 15-20 miles. Choosing the right clothing for the ride/ then walk/then ride is tricky but as long as I stay dry I'm usually pretty happy. Being wet and cold really is the worst.

Holly said:

I thought it had something to do with fundraising :) My commute is varied. I don't even think of it as a commute because I walk dogs. I'm outside all day so I dress pretty differently than most commuters. (i.e.--there's always back up stuff in my bag in case I'm too cold or get wet.) I wouldn't say I've ever had an ideal winter situation as far as gear goes. I'm usually colder than I'd like to be because my stops are generally close together. Total M-F loop is in the 6-10 mile range.

Done!  I too are muliptle bike personality.

How about we add the letters after the miles?  Ha Ha ha...

A = All year round

B = 300 days a year

C = 200 days a year

D = 100 days a year

F = Fair Weather  :)

Bumping for the hoardes of new members...

Thanks h', I was wondering what the miles listings were.  For mine, I bike to Metra for work downtown. 2 or 3 times a week, I go to the farther one, just to add in the extra miles.

h' 1.0 said:

Bumping for the hoardes of new members...

RSS

© 2008-2016   The Chainlink Community, L.L.C.   Powered by

Disclaimer  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service